Reicast - Dreamcast emulator for Android (Now Perhaps Pandora - See page 2)

No, we have no plans for releasing a commercial version. This is an open source project, with work so far donated for free. The "monetization" model we're gonna go after is sponsored development via crowdfunding, and I believe is the only fair way.

We're free on the android market (and a couple more stores), and the plan is to be available for free on every store possible within the next months. If someone tries to charge for it i'll report it and hopefully Google/Store owner will do the right thing.
You put this under GPL, you're giving people express permission to sell it. Google and others shouldn't and probably won't take others down because you ask them not to. If you don't want people to sell it switch it to a non-commercial license - be careful though, something like MAME's may be more restrictive than you'd like.

Similarly, if you don't want people to fork it, switch it to a license that forbids forking. Asking people not to and expressing your dislike of it won't stop people from doing it, they won't respect your wishes just because you wrote the software. I speak from experience on this one. Asking them like this is pretty much drawing attention to the fact that technically they're allowed to do it and there's nothing you can do to stop them.

Well count me in on the crowd funding.

Are you planning on releasing a commercial version for Android/ios?   I personally think you really should.  Don't want some other person capitalizing on your hard work.
No, we have no plans for releasing a commercial version. This is an open source project, with work so far donated for free. The "monetization" model we're gonna go after is sponsored development via crowdfunding, and I believe is the only fair way.

We're free on the android market (and a couple more stores), and the plan is to be available for free on every store possible within the next months. If someone tries to charge for it i'll report it and hopefully Google/Store owner will do the right thing.
Never ever rely on people to do the right thing.

Thing of how many assholes are around and how many conman are out there.  While most people will do the right thing the world is a massive place.

You should have a license agreement which prevents people selling it, you and anyone you wish should profit from this. After all your hard work has made this possible.

Sorry, if this is the wrong place. I replaced the button.png with a blank button.png to get rid of all the on-screen buttons. Part of it did worked, but still getting some grey boxes on the screen. Is there a way to get them invisible as well by editing the cfg file? (on the Android version).

....ok found my own answer, thanks. See u till Pyra gets real ;-)

Last edited by a moderator:
So how much more can this thing be optimized? I'd love to see Sonic Adventure running as well as it does on my Galaxy S3

Good question, I am curious where the bottleneck is. The cpu, the ram speed or the gpu? Maybe the sound processing could be moved to the dsp so a few frames could be gained.

You can do a simple test. Load something demanding and in an ssh terminal run top. If the CPU is maxed out and the game is stuttering then it's probably CPU bound and there may be tricks to be done. if the CPU is not running near 100% then it's probably GPU bound and you're basically stuck.

Nothing definite, just probably.

Even if it is CPU bound there may just not be anything to be done. People talk about "optimization" but there comes a point where you just can't do anything more. With 2 years of work under there I wouldn't be surprised f this were already as optimized as it'll get.

You put this under GPL, you're giving people express permission to sell it. Google and others shouldn't and probably won't take others down because you ask them not to. If you don't want people to sell it switch it to a non-commercial license - be careful though, something like MAME's may be more restrictive than you'd like.

Similarly, if you don't want people to fork it, switch it to a license that forbids forking. Asking people not to and expressing your dislike of it won't stop people from doing it, they won't respect your wishes just because you wrote the software. I speak from experience on this one. Asking them like this is pretty much drawing attention to the fact that technically they're allowed to do it and there's nothing you can do to stop them.
Yeah. GPL sucks, and is really broken for many kinds of projects, I haven't found better solution, so meh. People are retarded. If they want to ruin the party, well its entirely within their right. I'm gonna report non-gpl compliant stuff, or not properly crediting / misinforming (ex. "Optimised" versions with no code changes). If someone genuinely works on the project more than me, and doesn't want us to keep a single codebase, well, thats that I guess.

Never ever rely on people to do the right thing.

Thing of how many assholes are around and how many conman are out there.  While most people will do the right thing the world is a massive place.

You should have a license agreement which prevents people selling it, you and anyone you wish should profit from this. After all your hard work has made this possible.
I always rely on people to do the right thing. That's how assholes learn their lesson.

Good question, I am curious where the bottleneck is. The cpu, the ram speed or the gpu? Maybe the sound processing could be moved to the dsp so a few frames could be gained.
The bottleneck, on the Pandora, is the CPU. The SH4 is running at 200MHz on the Dreamcast, so that's already quite a performance for reicast to run so well on a 1Ghz CPU !

I finally got to try Reicast.

Powerstone 2 works and looks fine, but as expected it is stuttering and needs overclocking even on the Ghz model (the more reason to be excited for Pandora2).

Bangai-O won't start. :(

Last edited by a moderator:
Bangai-O won't start. :(

spiderman_crying.gif

Back