Renaming this subforum?

What name would you prefer?

• GNU/Linux OS

Votes: 13 21.7%
  • Linux OS

Votes: 6 10.0%
  • I don't care

Votes: 15 25.0%
  • Angstrom (default OS) - and another subforum for the other distros like Slackware and Arch

Votes: 26 43.3%

• Total voters

_wb_

Microbe
Staff member
In this thread:

http://boards.openpa...s-not-gnulinux/

there is some discussion on the name of this subforum. I don't want to start another thread with another discussion about this, so please go to the existing thread to discuss this. This thread is just to get an overview of what our opinions are on this matter.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would like an option for "Angstrom (default)" or similar. That would place the name on the same conceptual level as the name "Android".

I would like an option for "Angstrom (default)" or similar. That would place the name on the same conceptual level as the name "Android".

I've added such an option. This would require to have another subforum for the other distributions.

Yes, of course. For that, though, I think "Other" would suffice - I think the main distribution will keep being the absolutely most common, and that Android will probably both come up as the second most used, eventually, and that it is different enough to cause a lot of particular questions. The other alternatives will probably be both more niche (a smaller amount of more knowledgeable users) and also be not so dissimilar from the main distro that several of the solutions will be available just by looking that way.

What is this section for anyway? all the section except android are about linux...

Technically, even the Android section is about linux... :)

I've read it as being a forum specifically for OS-related questions. The case for the Android subforum is more clear-cut, though. I could live with deleting this subforum, too.

General Talk doesn't have a lot of Linux OS related questions in there, it's mostly a general discussion about the Pandora, related stuff and features.

yes, but isn't support and dev branch enough for both OS support and OS development?

If you plan to make this kind of subforum you better make some zaxxon and super zaxxon subforum, no?

yes, but isn't support and dev branch enough for both OS support and OS development?

I don't think so, because these are for developers or support if you have issues.

Any ideas, discussions, etc. about the OS won't fit there.

These two new forums are pointless anyway.

Explain why?

You rather want one thread with 30+ pages about Android on the Pandora?

I think you need to trim some of the forums.. major topics with sub topics. This covers just about everything.

Official OpenPandora News

General Talk

- 1GHz Units

- Android

- Rebirth compo (Doesn't really need to exist any more as a primary forum)

Support

Software News

Beta Testing

Development Section

- all those sub forums

Pandora 2 spam

I could see a sub forum under General talk called "Novice" where we can move all of the repetitively frequently asked questions.

Well, I'm always careful with subtopics... I've got the feeling they often go overlooked, which is probably not what we want with stuff like the Android section where there'll probably be a lot of discussion.

Well, I'm always careful with subtopics... I've got the feeling they often go overlooked, which is probably not what we want with stuff like the Android section where there'll probably be a lot of discussion.

I'm not really going to tell you what to do. I'd personally consider these forums being used by mods to channel the commonly discussed topics from the other forums to keep them free from "clutter".

That's entirely up to you. I think there is enough interest in android for a forum. and enough interest in using the pandora as a Linux device separate from the packages offered as PNDs to need a new forum.

BUT I doubt they'll generate hundreds of threads. Android isn't a first class citizen on the Pandora, and lots of topics will be waiting for something to continue development.

You need to move the rebirth compo into a subtopic because it's not going to get any more traffic.

Would this work for you?

Official OpenPandora News

General Talk

- GNU/Linux

- Android

- Rebirth compo

Support

- Newbie Corner

Software News

Beta Testing

Development Section

- all those sub forums

1GHz Units

Pandora 2

Edit: Being a total opinionated bastard, I actually like the above layout. please consider.

[ x ] Angstrom (default OS) - and another subforum for the other distros like Slackware and Arch

Now that makes actual zero sense... nix is nix, and he wants a forum for generic linux support... if you want to support angstorm there is the .next forum

Back