Repairing Broken Xfce4 Menu

chuckr

Still Fresh
About 30 years ago, while in the basement playing with my first (brand new) Unix system, I caught one of my sons going thru my /usr/bin, and executing everything he saw, and looking up the man page afterwards. No, I didn't get the order wrong, either. He was a very stubborn little kid, and when I couldn't talk him into switching the order (man page first, THEN execute) I told him he'd have to stay off the system. That worked until earlier tonight, when he came over, and I didn't catch him on my Pandora soon enough. I don't know exactly how he did it, but the top menu in the Panel (has the Pandora icon) is now missing, and that is the single most important submenu, too. I soon had things going well enough to be able to perform reboots, but I don't know what I have to do to restore that single (pretty large) sub-menu. I figure, probably, I'm missing a file in /usr/share/xfce4. If anyone happens to know more, well, I'd surely appreciate any ideas you get (like maybe what files I need to replace).

If it IS just a matter of replacing a file, I have a Pandora-rootfs tarball, so I could grab any file I need out of there, if I only knew what file(s) to grab. I really, really don't want to do a complete set of replacements, the whole enchilada. I've done a certain amount of modifications (to support my unique /usr/local setup) and I'm scared that I don't even know what will bite me here, if I were to do that.

Thanks.

opkg is your friend here.
Code:
opkg list-installed|grep xfce
will list you all the installed xfce packages
Code:
opkg files xfce4-panel
will list you all the files that this package contain

Compare with what's on disk, you'll find what's missing.

sebt3 said:
opkg is your friend here.
Code:
opkg list-installed|grep xfce
will list you all the installed xfce packages
Code:
opkg files xfce4-panel
will list you all the files that this package contain

Compare with what's on disk, you'll find what's missing.

I think maybe you misunderstood me (or I missed what you meant, also possible). I'm not saying that the file I need is missing, I figure that my son caused xfce4 to modify one of the files that carries the state of the various menus (the topmost menu item). So, while the file's here, it's probably been modified. There's only one menu item missing (as I said, it's the first item, the one with the Pandora icon), so my going about and looking for changed files is likely going to take me ice ages. I maybe I even was sure what directory location had the files I need to look at, well, that'd be a good first step.

Beyond that, the stuff I'm talking about was part of the original Pandora distribution. Are those files from an Opkg package? I mean, *I* didn't get them that way.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hot fix contains opkg packages.
The distribution is built this way :)
Oh and, opkg should keep a list of the files in the package it install (so it can detect conflict). so it will actually list all the file you should have.

If all else fails, just reflash the firmware. It's easy enough to do.

edit: instructions here: http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/54991-ready-to-flash-firmware-image/

I'm not clear on what the problem is. Are you saying the Pandora logo / menu button has disappeared completely? Or just a part of that menu?

(Sorry, it's been many weeks since I've had a Pandora. I almost forget what it all looks like.)

Please pardon me if I'm misunderstanding your post, but does this help in any way?

Back