Request for Windows Support Forum Recommendation

Ian J

Advanced Member
I'm having issues on my main PC (windows 7 x64) and I'm at a loss to what the issue is.

Can anyone recommend a forum where I can get help to analyse the problem?

Random lock ups.

The 1st indication is the mouse freezing then the whole machine locks (numlock caps lock lights don't work)

I've had the PC for 2 years without issue but now getting the above issue.

It started while running Handbrake but has now happened a few times while just running the basics, WinAmp & Firefox.

I've updated the BIOS on the motherboard to the latest version and checked all other drivers are up to date.

I can only think this is software related as nothing is changed on the hardware side.

I regularly clean my pc out for dust (blast out with air duster) and have checked the CPU temp (70 degree centigrade under load)

Only updates I have done are the standard MS pushed updates.

Only new software on the machine is .NET 4 which was required by the latest version of Handbrake.

I've run memtest for a few hours and no errors came up.

I'm now at a brick wall.

If anyone can recommend some test to run I'd be more than happy to oblige if logs are required.

or poor powersupply maybe?

you didn't bought one of theses cheapest power supply, don't you?

edit:

Sounds like broken memory or capacitors on the motherboard to me.
I don't think so, since he reported memory testing, that seems more related to work load I think...

Last edited by a moderator:
It's a Corsair CX600, decent brand but I don't rule out items going faulty.

Random lock ups.

The hardest thing to diagnose :)

What OS / Hardware specs do you have?

If you're running windows and suspect a software problem then I'd recommend trying a linux live CD and running some software that will stress the system (such as benchmarking / CPU stress test). This will hopefully show if the problem is hardware or software based.

EDIT : Guess it is Windows as you mention .NET, is there anything of interest in the Windows events log?

I also think about power supply...maybe you have a such demaning CPU and GPU and on 2 years he have done a struggle to supply all this load of currents.

You can try to exclude some peripherals (like DVD drives ) to see if power supply is the culprit.

This is the setup:

Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX460 1024MB

Motherboard: Asus P6X88D-E

Processor: Intel i7 950 3.06Ghz

Memory: Corsair XMS3 (3x2GB) CMX6GX3M3A1600C9

Power Supply: Corsair CX600

CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro H50

Yeah could be running hot, The heat-sink may just be dirty.. use some canned air or a brush to see if you can clean some dirt out of the heat-sink.

Yeah could be running hot, The heat-sink may just be dirty.. use some canned air or a brush to see if you can clean some dirt out of the heat-sink.
I have 2 fans on the cpu radiator (liquid cooled system) in a push / pull config and I keep both fans and the radiator very clean.

I clean them out at least twice a month.

To confirm from previous experience. lots of hardware issues are cured by replacing the PSU. Memory is common too. Older boards are going to fail if they have cheap caps.

I have 2 fans on the cpu radiator (liquid cooled system) in a push / pull config and I keep both fans and the radiator very clean.

Could still be a heat problem, nothing to lose by underclocking the processor and seeing if you still get lockups.

If the system stops locking up when underclocked I'd suggest you remove and then reapply the thermal paste between the heat sink (radiator) and the CPU.

Could still be a heat problem, nothing to lose by underclocking the processor and seeing if you still get lockups.

If the system stops locking up when underclocked I'd suggest you remove and then reapply the thermal paste between the heat sink (radiator) and the CPU.
I've under-clocked and now the error is very strange.

The system freezes for a few seconds mouse won't move can't do anything, then after a few seconds everything starts working again.

Such a pain, I have it running a complete scan on each hard drive at the moment.

Things like this wouldn't normally be too much of an issue but as I'm out of work I need to be sure I replace the right part as I can't afford to be spending money Willy nilly.

Problem is this was a new machine a couple of years ago to replace a really old P4 so I have no spare parts that are compatible to use as replacements to narrow the fault.

All my old hard drives are ide & this board is sata. Similarly all my video cards were agp & I gave those away when I got this machine as it is pci-e.

What a crummy position to be in.

Sent from my GT-I9300

Back