Retrogamer Magazine Giving Away A Gp32 Flu

super_furry

Still Fresh
Website
Visit site
There's a competition for a GP32 in the latest edition (issue four) of the rather brilliant Retrogamer magazine, who have always been very supportive and complementary of the GP32. You can also enter online at www.retrogamer.net

Retrogamer is one of the best magazines around at the moment. Get yourself a copy of you haven't already!
Is it a e-magazine? Or a normal "go-to-the-shop-and-grab-one"-magazine?

anyways. www.retrogamer.com does not exist. so what are you talking about? :blink:

Last edited by a moderator:
It's a UK retro print magazine. Each month the cover mounted CD is filled with ROMs for you to play on your PC (or upload to your SMC ;)).

I've always meant to ask...is it legal to provide roms on a cover mounted CD like this?

No , it is simply legal because there is a disclaimer like " you can only use those roms if you own the originals games....."
But I bet that at least 95% of the customer use the roms without owning the games ^o^

No , it is simply legal because there is a disclaimer like " you can only use those roms if you own the originals games....."
But I bet that at least 95% of the customer use the roms without owning the games ^o^
No, they are are legal

The previous issue had all GREMLIN roms on, Gremlin were asked and they allowed Retrogamer to put their roms on the cover disk, the rest are either roms with a similar story (developer has been asked) or they are remakes, like the brilliant Head ove Heels remake in issue 2

No, they are are legal

The previous issue had all GREMLIN roms on, Gremlin were asked and they allowed Retrogamer to put their roms on the cover disk, the rest are either roms with a similar story (developer has been asked) or they are remakes, like the brilliant Head ove Heels remake in issue 2
Interesting. I guess they'd have to do this to avoid getting their asses sued for every penny they own. And if companies like Gremlin (or whoever own them now) allow magazines like this to put their old games on the cover CD, I guess they're really not too concerned about emulation. Good for them, I say!

Yeah exactly, practically the sole reason MAME is still "legal" is because a while back Capcom or Namco or someone distributed a few of their ROMs with a PC arcade-style game controller. Ever since, MAME-users have been quoting it as the perfect example of companies embracing emulation. And then there's StarROMs as well...

The 'own the original' would not cut it. It's just silly. They would get shut down immediately, akin to if they had said 'you can only play these roms for 24 hours then you must delete them!!!'

I recently bought CD of "C64 Classics" - a freeware C64 emulator and a huge number of ROMs (claims to have "3000 classic games" - I haven't counted, but it could be about right!)

In the helpfiles, it admits that all of the ROMs were downloaded from the net. It has what I believe to be some famous classics from the C64, and most of the ROMs I've played have been pirated versions, still bearing the startup screens / trainer modes from the original cracks. The only concession to copyright I've seen is an offer to not to include a ROM in the next edition if the author requests it.

It's published by Revive software, and was bought from GAME in Cardiff, UK. It sat alongside similar CDs for atari etc. Maybe this lot are assuming that C64, atari, sinclair (and a few others) are now all abandonware?

Either way, C64 was a bit before my time, but I'm delighted to find some cracking games on there :).

I recently bought CD of "C64 Classics" - a freeware C64 emulator and a huge number of ROMs (claims to have "3000 classic games" - I haven't counted, but it could be about right!)

In the helpfiles, it admits that all of the ROMs were downloaded from the net. It has what I believe to be some famous classics from the C64, and most of the ROMs I've played have been pirated versions, still bearing the startup screens / trainer modes from the original cracks. The only concession to copyright I've seen is an offer to not to include a ROM in the next edition if the author requests it.

It's published by Revive software, and was bought from GAME in Cardiff, UK. It sat alongside similar CDs for atari etc. Maybe this lot are assuming that C64, atari, sinclair (and a few others) are now all abandonware?

Either way, C64 was a bit before my time, but I'm delighted to find some cracking games on there :).
Yeah, those things are all over the place. I've seen an Amiga one in HMV. I seriously doubt they're legal especially as they're basically charging to distribute other peope's games.

Back