Retrovirus Rts Website Online

dodgyville

Website
Visit site
I have created a website for my first commercial game, retrovirus RTS. It now has information about the game, including screenshots. The game itself should be out in the next week (or two).

Thanks to all the people who suggested improvements and bugfixes over the demo - a lot of them have been used. I'm thinking it might be worthwhile making a second demo, as there have been a lot of small changes since the first one was released...

Looks good.

How long does it take to go through 18 levels?

It looks very clean and professional, I wish you the best of luck with this. And yes, a second demo that better reflects the current state of your game would probably help sales a whole lot :)

Out of curiosity, how do you intend to distribute it? Do you have a publisher, or are you going independent? If you are going independent, how are you going to go about it?

- Alex

Nice design, I dont know if it is just me, but I noticed that the left navigation panel "lftbox" seems like it has been cut, am using IE v6.

Most people here on GP2X dont use IE; I agree with that, but I still like it and some other people too, when you design a website you make it compatible with at least IE and Firefox since they are the most common ones, it is not right to force users to use a specific browser, at least give them options.
My words don't mean I think IE is better, but I am just used to it.

Looks good.

How long does it take to go through 18 levels?

It's over four hours if you played it through without losing or replaying a level. One of the unlockable extras is that it tells you how long you've spent in the game.

To the person that mentioned the website might be a bit dodgy in IE ... I have no way to test that, sorry! But I'll look in to it ... thanks for pointing it out!

Luke

Last edited by a moderator:
Be careful to copy the zipped folder exactly as it is to your SD card, I remember that was my problem a while back.

- Alex

This is a really good game. But the demo seems a bit unpolished. I really like the whole concept. I just jumped straight in and started playing. Took me a few attempts to figure out what was going on but I guess I should have read the readme.

I havnt seen other peoples comments that have been implemented or bugs that are fixed in the release version so I hope the demo reflects an early version of the game.

Other than that excellent cant wait for the full thing.

how much will this cost?

€12, which is about UK £8, US $15, AUD $20. This is for a downloadable version of the game. It comes with a personalised code that also gives you access to the extra downloads section on the website.

drevil_million_dollars.jpg

It won't be ridden with DRM, right, so we could put it on different SD's, if we so desired, correct?

- Alex

looks great (Cant wait to DL the demo) but the site works fine on the schoosl comps (with IE) it displays it a bit wierd but nothin else from what i can tell (and 15 bucks, ill buy that) cant wait for the full version!

It won't be ridden with DRM, right, so we could put it on different SD's, if we so desired, correct?

- Alex

Sorry, it gets locked to the SD card and the GP2X id number, so it will only play on the one card in the one device. It then requires a special activation code you get after purchase. Then you need to log in to the website, fill out the questionaire. Then you'll be emailed a special confirmation email that lets you access the encrypted "activation page" of the website. Here you enter in your details (they have to match the questionaire), then you'll be allowed to download the enabling program. Put this on the root of your SD card and reboot. The enabling program will patch your firmware to engage "entrusted encryption", which is a form of kernel monitoring. DON'T DISCONNECT YOUR GP2X AT THIS POINT OR YOUR UNIT MAY BRICK. Once the kernel is patched and the NAND write protected, the enabling program contacts the server and sends back a hashed image of the file system. It also puts of copy of the enabling software on your computer (the one connected to the gp2x). Now that the NAND and your desktop are patched, you should have access to the new special gp2xEZY software, which acts a replacement to whatever USB interface you were using (obviously it disables linux users, sorry). Using the EZY software, copy the game across to the SD card. It might not work if the download archive is more than 30 minutes old (it expires after this time to stop other people using it). If it has expired, contact our support team for more information on how to get a replacement activation code to begin the process again (maximum 2 replacement codes). If the archive has copied across, you're almost good to go! Disconnect the USB cable and select the archive from the main menu. The installation program should start, it will request you to reconnect the USB cable, so do that now. It will talk to the server for a while and download a few new encryption keys. DON'T LOSE THESE, but also DON'T COPY THESE KEYS. The hash sums will fail if you do and your gp2x will probably brick. The program will then install the game, after it has reformatted the SD card with the EZY-compatible FU filesystem, this is a new proprietary file system for the gp2x that allows content producers totally confidence that their product is only used in the correct manner. One the card is formatted, the game will install itself in several directories. As an extra precaution, I have scattered the files across over 900 different directories and given every file and directory a randomly generated name based on the personal details you supplied in the 2nd questionaire (including name, credit card number and mother's maiden name). Now, the game is installed, awaiting activation. Run the main binary (it should in a directory like DJEUDHH8345H43/ABFBCFBAB53/ - as I said, it's random. Anyway, run that binary and you should be directed to a secure webpage generated on the server. DON'T DISCONNECT YOUR GP2X AT THIS POINT. IT MAY BRICK. Enter in all 14 security codes that you have been given so far - remember that they may have expired if more than 30 minutes has passed. All the key codes are case sensitive (except for every 8 letter naturally), and also uses the Icelandic keyboard layout to stop most hacking tools. Contact Microsoft for Icelandic keyboard mappings if you run Windows. Linux users should find their Icelandic keyboard mappings available in /usr/X11/ ... but in general linux computers are locked out of the process quite early on so it won't help you now. After you have entered the activation codes, you'll get a confirmation email sent to your computer. It's on a time delay to stop rote attacks, so a short delay of 78 to 96 hours can be expected. Once you have the confirmation email, disconnect your gp2x and then reconnect it. gp2xEZY will restart and activate the game for you. Start the game, enter in your name and the other details it asks for (this may take an hour or two, so make sure your batteries are fully charged). DO NOT SWITCH OFF YOUR GP2X DURING THIS STAGE. It may brick your unit. After you finish entering in your details and your codes, the game should be ready to play! Excellent! Don't forget to register your product for access to our exclusive newsletter.

- Alex

Sorry, it gets locked to the SD card and the GP2X id number, so it will only play on the one card in the one device. It then requires a special activation code you get after purchase. Then you need to log in to the website, fill out the questionaire. Then you'll be emailed a special confirmation email that lets you access the encrypted "activation page" of the website. Here you enter in your details (they have to match the questionaire), then you'll be allowed to download the enabling program. Put this on the root of your SD card and reboot. The enabling program will patch your firmware to engage "entrusted encryption", which is a form of kernel monitoring. DON'T DISCONNECT YOUR GP2X AT THIS POINT OR YOUR UNIT MAY BRICK. Once the kernel is patched and the NAND write protected, the enabling program contacts the server and sends back a hashed image of the file system. It also puts of copy of the enabling software on your computer (the one connected to the gp2x). Now that the NAND and your desktop are patched, you should have access to the new special gp2xEZY software, which acts a replacement to whatever USB interface you were using (obviously it disables linux users, sorry). Using the EZY software, copy the game across to the SD card. It might not work if the download archive is more than 30 minutes old (it expires after this time to stop other people using it). If it has expired, contact our support team for more information on how to get a replacement activation code to begin the process again (maximum 2 replacement codes). If the archive has copied across, you're almost good to go! Disconnect the USB cable and select the archive from the main menu. The installation program should start, it will request you to reconnect the USB cable, so do that now. It will talk to the server for a while and download a few new encryption keys. DON'T LOSE THESE, but also DON'T COPY THESE KEYS. The hash sums will fail if you do and your gp2x will probably brick. The program will then install the game, after it has reformatted the SD card with the EZY-compatible FU filesystem, this is a new proprietary file system for the gp2x that allows content producers totally confidence that their product is only used in the correct manner. One the card is formatted, the game will install itself in several directories. As an extra precaution, I have scattered the files across over 900 different directories and given every file and directory a randomly generated name based on the personal details you supplied in the 2nd questionaire (including name, credit card number and mother's maiden name). Now, the game is installed, awaiting activation. Run the main binary (it should in a directory like DJEUDHH8345H43/ABFBCFBAB53/ - as I said, it's random. Anyway, run that binary and you should be directed to a secure webpage generated on the server. DON'T DISCONNECT YOUR GP2X AT THIS POINT. IT MAY BRICK. Enter in all 14 security codes that you have been given so far - remember that they may have expired if more than 30 minutes has passed. All the key codes are case sensitive (except for every 8 letter naturally), and also uses the Icelandic keyboard layout to stop most hacking tools. Contact Microsoft for Icelandic keyboard mappings if you run Windows. Linux users should find their Icelandic keyboard mappings available in /usr/X11/ ... but in general linux computers are locked out of the process quite early on so it won't help you now. After you have entered the activation codes, you'll get a confirmation email sent to your computer. It's on a time delay to stop rote attacks, so a short delay of 78 to 96 hours can be expected. Once you have the confirmation email, disconnect your gp2x and then reconnect it. gp2xEZY will restart and activate the game for you. Start the game, enter in your name and the other details it asks for (this may take an hour or two, so make sure your batteries are fully charged). DO NOT SWITCH OFF YOUR GP2X DURING THIS STAGE. It may brick your unit. After you finish entering in your details and your codes, the game should be ready to play! Excellent! Don't forget to register your product for access to our exclusive newsletter.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

It's no surprise that you're a John Waters fan :lol:

Back