Revising the default button configuration

Which button configuration would you prefer?

• Default (Right nub for mouse click, Scroll up and down with "Y" and "X", Home wi

Votes: 9 50.0%
  • Revised A (Right nub for scrolling, "L" button for left click, "R" button d for

Votes: 3 16.7%
  • Revised B (Right nub for scrolling, A, Y, B, and X for left, middle, right, and double clicking resp

Votes: 6 33.3%

• Total voters

notyu1459

Still Fresh
I find the default button configuration to be counter intuitive, and I imagine others do too.
Here I propose a new default Button Configuration for the Pandora.

I also propose a new way of personally mapping the buttons

Would everyone voting please say why they picked what they did and why they didn't pick what they didn't? Thank you!

Default controls

Pros - If your used to it, it works for you.

Cons - Gives simple button pressing to an analog nub and actions that should be analog to digital controls, leaving no way to scroll left or right *facepalm*

Revised A

Pros - Mouse clicks easier to execute, allows 360 degree analog scrolling, gives the B button a double click function, which comes naturally due to the fact that you are usually using the B button to select things in application menus anyway. Allows the least amount of finger movement.

Cons - Forces you to use the Control button as the Control button, and the Shift Button as the Shift button. (Which isn't much of a problem, since you can still hold Shift with your left thumb while using a stylus)

Revised B

Pros - Keeps shift and control where they were, while assigning button presses to ACTUAL BUTTONS. Also allows 360 degree analog scrolling. Gives the X button a double click function, which comes naturally due to the fact that some of use use that button to select things in menus on other game controls.

Cons - Forces you to jump between the right nub and face buttons for it to work.

"How can I move windows around while using a stylus without using my precious 'L' button as Shift!?"

All 'L' Does is Shift; just hold the Shift button instead. 

"is right nubs a workable solution for pgdn or pgup during browsing? i can imagine it being difficult to only press it once?"

You can already set the Right nub to do scrolling in the nub configurator; so scrolling would be as simple as pushing it in the direction you want to go, as pushing it harder for faster scrolling. 

Last edited by a moderator:
1. no default works

2. no because there are simple ways to remap

also, i cant imagine trying to hold A while moving windows around with right hand stylus. thats just asking me to constantly drop my pandora

A should be left mouse button.

Y should be middle mouse button.

X should be right mouse button.

I find it disturbing that those who argue that the D-PAD is infinitely better than an analog joystick emulating a D-PAD would chose to emulate mouse buttons with an analog joystick.

I have modify ABmouse for the above configuration and find it much less frustrating than the default analog joystick configuration.

I would like the right analog joystick to do scrolling (something really necessary given the small screen size), but I have much less strong opinions about that than the mouse buttons.

I have modify ABmouse for the above configuration and find it much less frustrating than the default analog joystick configuration.
How? I that's pretty much how I'd like it :)

I've added this as an option to the poll.

I've found that I have gotten used to default control scheme by now, but I do belive it would be a lot more intuitive for the mouse buttons to be the ABXY buttons.

is right nubs a workable solution for pgdn or pgup during browsing? i can imagine it being difficult to only press it once?

also, you forgot Y as a double click

i hated the set up at first i mean i really hated it but now i love it can use it with 1 hand 1 finger to move and 1 more to click, i just wish i could get my left hand to work better and get 1 more pandora one for each hand :)

I like Revision B, but I also want ALT to be easier to use.  With only two shoulders buttons, I guess I would trade Shift for ALT if I could.

How? I that's pretty much how I'd like it :)

I've added this as an option to the poll.
Open a terminal window.

Type in, but don't hit return on: "cd /mnt/utmp/AB\ Mouse"

Use the menu to run system->AB Mouse then type return in the terminal window.

This directory only exists for a short time after running AB Mouse, so you have to do the cd command in the short window of time that it exists. Once you do the cd, it will stick around as long as you don't exit that directory.

edit the .pndXmodmapb file and add the following line at the end of the file:

keycode 112 = Pointer_Button2 NoSymbol Pointer_Button2

Save that file.

This will create a file on your SD card under pandora/appdata/AB Mouse. In the future you can edit the file there rather than trying to catch the ephemeral AB Mouse directory in /mnt/utmp.

Before exiting this directory, also edit .pndXmodmapnb, and add the following line:

keycode 112 = PgUp NoSymbol PgUp

This will allow you to switch back to the default setup.

I can't save the file in /mnt/utmp/AB\ Mouse - nano says [ Error writing .pndXmodmapb: Read-only file system ]

I like the Default setting myself, but I'm always in favor of more flexibility for those who want it...an app that would allow one to do this easily would be a good thing...that way, if you want it, you get the app...and if you don't, then you don't get the app.

I'm quite fond of the current mapping of functions to game controls. Given what we have, the only change I'd propose would be to swap ALT and Pandora buttons. ALT is just somewhat too much out of the way when thumb typing...

Back