Rhythm/music Games

AireTamStorm

Unix Addict
Website
Visit site
I've been thinking a Stepmania type rhythm game would be nice to see.
We wouldn't be able to use StepMania rendering code, because it utilizes 3D in everything it does.

However, I think it is entirely within the power of the GP2X to draw a bunch of 2D arrows on the screen and play an MP3 or OGG at the same time. Rhythm games are nice.

Taking into account that this is a mobile device, heavy usage of such a game would very quickly wear out the buttons on the GP2X. (songs I play usually have 1000+ steps) Maybe an EXT accessory?

I've just never seen a rhythm game for a mobile platform.

Karaoke would be nice too, seeing as the GP2X CAN plug into the TV. You'd be missing the mic input, but that can be solved by using an input splitter on the audio cables.

I think its a cool idea, anyone interested?

Its Pop'n Music not Popmania. Its one of my favourite game for the ps2 :D And theres also a java Pop'n Music for phones.

But anyway it sounds like a good idea but the d-stick is not overly practical because it takes a while to push the stick in a direction. I found this from play pop'n on the gbc emulator on gp32. But using volume control, buttons and shoulder buttons should make for a pretty good game.

And Ive also been addicted to Karaoke Revolution and Singstar lately so a karaoke game sounds even better, albeit unrealistic

why stick to the DDR concept then?

I'm just starting to code a rhythm/music game in fenix, but it is (hopefully) gonna be more like rez - you bring in your OWN rhythm.
However, I'm using the D-Pad and a- and b-buttons... maybe the l- and r-buttons too, but most likely not. The Thought behind this is that its possible to have combinations of multiple buttons so it gets harder :)

anyway, don't get your hopes up for _my_ game, as it will most likely suck :D
but maybe I inspired someone else with this ^.^

I think Karaoke is a bit less far fetched, but I wouldn't use the D-pad for a rhythm game. Use the buttons.

The karaoke would render some fancy animated text on the screen, and play an MP3/OGG. Along with an animation or video file in the background. The actual mic input would be left to the user and his amp ^_^

I think it'd be neat, and would give the GP2X yet another attractive feature.

We could make early use of the EXT port and connect a pad to it ^_^

Would probably requre SOME work though.

I have been thinking the same thing. Wouldn't it be great if you could attach a pad to the GP2X via EXT (or USB?), optionally plug it into a TV, and play something like StepMania?

At least, it sounds great to me. ;)

Alternatively, what about a game similar to Dai Gassou! Band Brothers?

What was that rhythm game on the PS2 that had the vector bunny...thing, hopping on a line that grew hills and pits to the beat? I've seen it but can't for the life of me remember the bloody name of it.

Back