RIOT Tag-Team coding competition

Seems to be some very nice entries, thanks for organising this Foxblock & Uni.

I did not organize it, I just helped with a few questions and the site frontend - all credit for organizing the compo go to Uni.

Sadly the Pandora version of Schizophrenia on the compo site is broken atm, I am just sending an updated version to Uni, which should be available soon (dunno if I am allowed to just post the link here).

Sorry about the inconvenience if you already downloaded, I will update with a note when the fixed version is available.

Well i've been playtesting tonight, and just wanted to congratulate all participants with the awesome new games!!

I have some favorites, but we still have to go vote, so just try them out yourself :)

Cheers!

Some very nice entries!

I want to thank Uni for organising a very organised compo! I would also like to thank everyone that helped me test, I'm pretty sure I have accidentally missed some of you out in the credits...

Also PirateBaby as it is, is not the finished product. I will continue to improve it. It's been fun but very tough to get something releasable ready for the deadline(even though it was extended!) and look after my newborn son and my wife!

Maybe I've missed it, but is there a "single monster .zip file" that can be unzipped to a single SD card that will work in Caanoo/Wiz/Pandora/GP2X? If not, is there any chance someone wants to make it for the competition entries so that its a really neat, tight, package?

Maybe I've missed it, but is there a "single monster .zip file" that can be unzipped to a single SD card that will work in Caanoo/Wiz/Pandora/GP2X? If not, is there any chance someone wants to make it for the competition entries so that its a really neat, tight, package?
Nope there is not, single files also have the advantage that the author can update them should a critical bug be detected.

On related news, all Schizophrenia builds have been updated and should be functional now. Apologies again for the inconvenience.

Hrmm.. bummer. Would be nice indeed to just unpack a single .zip file to the root of an SD card, and then use the same thing everywhere. Okay, whatever .. enough grumbling, I'm off to download everything.

@torpor i know exactly what you mean :) But there are several entries that are pretty buggy, and are getting updated all the time. E.g. Schizophrenia. And at the end of the competition i will have stats for the devs on how often their game was downloaded.

But isn't it just navigating to the download link on a pandora to have it install automatically? If i need to do anything on the server to help this, let me know.

@foxblock, you cannot make the entries available elsewhere. But i am uploading them now, so give it about 20 minutes. The linux version i will try tonight, and update it if it works.

/Uni

@torpor i know exactly what you mean :) But there are several entries that are pretty buggy, and are getting updated all the time. E.g. Schizophrenia. And at the end of the competition i will have stats for the devs on how often their game was downloaded.

But isn't it just navigating to the download link on a pandora to have it install automatically? If i need to do anything on the server to help this, let me know.

@foxblock, you cannot make the entries available elsewhere. But i am uploading them now, so give it about 20 minutes. The linux version i will try tonight, and update it if it works.

/Uni

The problem with one-click install on the Pandora is that files need to be in .pnd format in order to work, sadly some of them are not, but that is basically up the authors.

It would be nice if they were all in PND format (which has no disadvantage compared to zip anyway), which is pretty easy to create thanks to pnd_make.sh on Linux and several tools on Windows.

pnd format is a must for pandora if authors expect mass people to use, should even be downloaded as a pnd file and not even a pnd within a zip file

prometheon is a pnd thats in zip file, and gigasun jet and skylark arent in pnd format on the competition site(as of yesterday at least) just zipped up

foxblock, scizophrenia keeps hanging on me when I clone/delete stuff :( . I really like the premise but I can't get past two levels without it hanging.

My first impressions of the linux/pandora titles I've downloaded so far:

Scitzophrenia: Hangs every now and then, feels promising but I never get anywhere long before the hanging occurs :(

Shootet: Well executed and fun. Definitely one of my favorites.

Prometheon: Some serious work has gone here. A lot of information to swallow in the beginning and all round confusing :p . If the combat was a little smoother I'd consider this my unparalleld top choice. (EDIT: looking at the youtube video it might be that I just need to clock my pandora a bit higher than the suggested 600MHz)

Puzzle tube: Very smooth, the idea works nicely. I'll have to play it a bit more to form an opinion.

PirateBaby: Didn't have the time to wait for the egg to hatch :D . Maybe I'll put it on my desk tomorrow at work :p

Geek em up: Tried the linux version, showed nothing. Esc exited. :(

Daff's Adventure 2: Got to the end of second or third cave segment, then it hanged. :(

Monkey game: Plays like a true GameBoy game :p . Some problems with collision detection, especially in corners. Can't seem to drop through the one block wide chasm. :(

Rainy Day: Awesome start for a game. Not probably going to win with the one area of gameplay, but honorary mention for awesome graphics and atmosphere.

Skylark: (to be played)

Gigasun: (to be played)

Last edited by a moderator:
foxblock, scizophrenia keeps hanging on me when I clone/delete stuff :( . I really like the premise but I can't get past two levels without it hanging.

Well, the problem is I cannot reproduce any of those problems on my PC, I can play through the whole game easily without a single hang.

It most likely is related to collision detection, because that is the only place where an infinite loop could be created. Still as it appears quite randomly pinning down the exact problem is hard, especially without a Pandora to do debugging on. :S

I am terribly sorry for the inconvenience, we will investigate that issue and hopefully address it in time. Any help on that is appreciated.

Prometheon-Seems to have a deep background story to the game, although difficult to get into, maybe because it throws it all out in the beginning of the game and gives you too much sci-fi info and too many names to keep track of who’s who. Gameplay is good, a nice set of weapons to start with, didn’t progress far enough in game to know if you get more weapons. The background is quite detailed, although sometimes it's hard to distinguish random background and actual enemies in game. Good controls, good sound, although character movement may have been a little slow for me.

Rainy Day-What The Hell?! Way too short of a demo. Georgeous looking game, lot of hope for this game and had fun playing it even though it only lasted a minute. High expectations here, but cannot give it a high rating as of yet simply because of how short it is. Looking forward to full release on Pandora.

Panta vs Dragon-Simple decent arcade game, a little repetative maybe, but ok for what it is. Wish the door in the dragon rooms was a little wider or at least all the way up in corner as i often catch myself running into side of door only to get burned. Progressive Mode gave me a black screen the first time i played it after beating history mode playing the first time.

Schizhophrenia-Once again, a very interesting idea by foxblock and friends, executed quite well, great soundtrack to steal music from, I knew i heard some Bit.Trip in there only to read documentation to find out i was right. Idea of game takes a minute to realize what you’re doing. Unfortunately, i managed to crash the game somehow to a point where i had to reboot pandora, and I can’t recreate the crash. Great concept, well executed.

Puzzletube-A 3D twist on an old favorite, Bejewled. Works, simple to understand, difficult to master, and some luck involved. Could use touch screen controls.

PirateBaby-Never understood the concept of these games, but they were popular around the world, so I guess it must’ve been me. Some sound would be nice. Seems like the type of game you leave running in the background and every now and then just take care of it with 2-3 clicks of a mouse, this is where sound would be nice so you know if the darn thing crapped on your poopdeck while youre running it in background.

Shootet-Amazingly fun puzzle/shooter/upside-down tetris. Took me 3 games to actually understand what I’m supposed to achive, but once I understood, it took me a good half hour to put the game down to test the other entries in the competiton. Only thing that could make it better is if I could play my own mp3‘s in the backgound while still keeping sound effects. Love the game, addiction level on par with Tetris.

Schizhophrenia-Once again, a very interesting idea by foxblock and friends, executed quite well, great soundtrack to steal music from, I knew i heard some Bit.Trip in there only to read documentation to find out i was right. Idea of game takes a minute to realize what you’re doing. Unfortunately, i managed to crash the game somehow to a point where i had to reboot pandora, and I can’t recreate the crash. Great concept, well executed.

PirateBaby-Never understood the concept of these games, but they were popular around the world, so I guess it must’ve been me. Some sound would be nice. Seems like the type of game you leave running in the background and every now and then just take care of it with 2-3 clicks of a mouse, this is where sound would be nice so you know if the darn thing crapped on your poopdeck while youre running it in background.
Schizo - There is a crash vaguely related to pushing blocks... it's happened every time with the brain jars...

PirateBaby- Yeah no sound... I apologise. I just ran out of time and rather fix bugs... Dragons_Slayer said he'd help with sounds in the future, but obviously his time was stretched thing with Rainy Day and working on GFX for PirateBaby too. Rest assured sound was always part of the plan...

Well, the problem is I cannot reproduce any of those problems on my PC, I can play through the whole game easily without a single hang.

It most likely is related to collision detection, because that is the only place where an infinite loop could be created. Still as it appears quite randomly pinning down the exact problem is hard, especially without a Pandora to do debugging on. :S

I am terribly sorry for the inconvenience, we will investigate that issue and hopefully address it in time. Any help on that is appreciated.

If the source code is not a secret, I for one would love to help and take a peek and see if anything jumps at me. A pair of fresh eyes usually spot stuff like this better :)

If the source code is not a secret, I for one would love to help and take a peek and see if anything jumps at me. A pair of fresh eyes usually spot stuff like this better :)

Oh sure, the full code is released under MPL 1.1 license and the assets under CC-BY-SA, you can find both here: http://code.google.c...zophrenia-game/

But beware, the code is a hacked together mess, I doubt you will have a good time looking at it :p

EDIT: B-Zar you have a PM.

Back