RIP - Nintendo visionary Hiroshi Yamauchi

End of an era.

I've got the episode of BBC's "Outrageous Fortunes" that dealt with Nintendo and specifically Yamauchi's role at the top. The presenter is a bit rude and annoying, but it's a good insight into the company and family at times, as it chases them down all over the globe. You can find it on youtube, I notice only relatively poor quality copies seem to exist out there though.

So is it his departure in 2002 that caused Nintendo do go off in a weird way? or the Miyamoto/Iwata thing to blame?

Sad news, RIP Hiroshi.

Hope they play this at his funeral

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wkg8C4sWfp0

So is it his departure in 2002 that caused Nintendo do go off in a weird way? or the Miyamoto/Iwata thing to blame?
Err, the DS & Wii are widely considered to be highly successful, if a little weird at time of release ;) They should be thanked, rather than blamed IMHO.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sad news, RIP Hiroshi.

Hope they play this at his funeral

Err, the DS & Wii are widely considered to be highly successful, if a little weird at time of release ;) They should be thanked, rather than blamed IMHO.
my complaint isn't that it's not "successful", there's just something going awry with nintendo for a while now. i'm still very much a nintendo fan boy, but they are very much on thin ice with me, at least with the home console thing. they have a lot to prove with me with the WiiU, and it's off to a terrible, horrible, sacrilegious start 

Yamauchi San was a very shrewd and harsh business man and most of the industry of today owes him a lot of thanks, so I say a big heart felt THANK YOU! RIP

In regards to "N" downfall once he left...........I'm not sure how better or worse their situation would be if he was still at the helm. For anyone who knows "N" history over the last 100 years, knows that he went where the money was, and when others didn't fallow his lead, he could be very harsh in terms of business relationships.

The "strong arm" tactics worked very well through the NES and SNES eras, but fell very flat in the N64 life and carried through to the Gamecube. I personally think this is why he stepped down when he did, as he may have been doing more harm than good, and "N" is still repairing bridges that where burned downed under his reign.

Sadly, Iwata is the polar opposite of Yamauchi, and where he is a gamer and programmer, he is a very milquetoast leader and this isn't what "N" needs to go in to the future. 

Chris

Back