Rip Nintendo

DS all the way, but i dont blieve any of these beta pix of the DS coz as sum1 sed it doesnt have the Trademark D-Pad that Ninty have used on ALL its consoles since the G&W, everyone knows its the best D-Pad and when u see it u know its Ninty

has anyone read anything on that handheld from microsoft? there was an article about it in GamesMaster, alongside ones for PSP and DS. here it is:

XPOD?
.....The other slightly mad rumor doing the rounds suggests microsoft are planning a stand-alone harddrive-based device. It'll work with XBOX 2 but also take on Apple's ipod in the music storage stakes and cost under £100. Apparently XBOX main man Jay Allard told someone in a bar in snowboard resort Whistler. Riiight.
Rumor Control: Microsoft to launch a handheld device to rival PSP & DS?

those pics do look like the ones from e3.. I am not sure on the metroid hunters controls, any one who played quake on the ppc will know what i mean (plus i am left handed :( ).

I am also suspucious of the gba slot on the DS as well...

mattmagoo posted on May 12 2004 at 07:56 PM said:
DS all the way, but i dont blieve any of these beta pix of the DS coz as sum1 sed it doesnt have the Trademark D-Pad that Ninty have used on ALL its consoles since the G&W, everyone knows its the best D-Pad and when u see it u know its Ninty
Of course the DS pics are real. Most of them have come from the official Nintendo press site. They even have close up screenshots on there and I have to say that although it seems to have the polygon throughput of N64 games, saying it matchs n64 graphics is twisting the truth considerably. There is no bilinier filtering on the texutures, the resolution is only a touch larger than the GBA. The PSP has a huge screen with a resolution about 4 times larger than the DS. I know what I would rather play my games on. People have been critisizing the Gizmondo because of their choice of screensize (at least it's 320x240), but when Nintendo do the same thing, you all stick up for the big N. I fuckin' hate fanboys.

I have no doubt there will be really fun games for both systems, but i'm looking for a quality of gaming similar to my home consoles, without compromise. I want to play Call of Duty and all those amazing looking games, but I want to do it outside, and when I'm inside I want to go anywhere in my house and play multiplayer over the net using my Wireless network. The PSP is offering that to me and it looks like it's going to dominate the handheld market.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's going to be very close, there are especially a hell of a lot of Nintendo fans who will buy nothing other than their favorite brand name when it comes to mainstream systems

Daz_Genetic posted on May 12 2004 at 02:19 PM said:
Of course the DS pics are real. Most of them have come from the official Nintendo press site. They even have close up screenshots on there and I have to say that although it seems to have the polygon throughput of N64 games, saying it matchs n64 graphics is twisting the truth considerably. There is no bilinier filtering on the texutures, the resolution is only a touch larger than the GBA. The PSP has a huge screen with a resolution about 4 times larger than the DS. I know what I would rather play my games on. People have been critisizing the Gizmondo because of their choice of screensize (at least it's 320x240), but when Nintendo do the same thing, you all stick up for the big N. I fuckin' hate fanboys.

I have no doubt there will be really fun games for both systems, but i'm looking for a quality of gaming similar to my home consoles, without compromise. I want to play Call of Duty and all those amazing looking games, but I want to do it outside, and when I'm inside I want to go anywhere in my house and play multiplayer over the net using my Wireless network. The PSP is offering that to me and it looks like it's going to dominate the handheld market.
I agree with you completely Daz.

And as for the price issue, right now PS2 is MUCH more expensive than the GC, yet it still sells _considerably_ more units. Anyone who thinks price is an issue here, needs to really look at the sale statistics of the consoles.

As for the two screens, thats going to be more distracting than usefull, nintendo is just trying to market some new gimmick because its their only hope. Oww goodie now we can see out the back in mario kart at the same time we see out the front, thats more distracting than usefull. Again, its a marketing GIMMICK.
GIMMICK said:
An innovative stratagem or scheme employed especially to promote a project

Remember people, not all of nintendos systems have been successfull (VirtualBoy). They dont always pick winners.

As for the 2.5 hours for movie playback, hell thats what most $500 portable DVD players to date get. Remember people, compressed media formats take A LOT of cpu power to decompress on the fly.

And the screen(s) are too tiny.

The same people said the same thing about Playstation when sony was going to get into the console market. "Oh nintendo is #1 and will always be", "they wont last long", "its much more expensive", etc...etc... the same stupid arguments that people are using the defend nintendo now, yet what happened? Sony crushed nintendo, they have more of the market share for home consoles than Nintendo and Microsoft combined. (much much more) You can deny it, or pretend like it isnt so, but that wont stop the reality of it. Sony doesnt do anything half assed. They know what the public wants, we want a portable PS2. Thats what they are giving us, and with a screen thats so amazing and huge that I am without words.

Yeah I agree with you Akuma no Houkon that if it truely is a portable PS2 it will crush Nintendo. The only way I can see Nintendo surviving is a lot of good N64 ports BEFORE the PSP comes out. I'm talking Paper Mario, Mario 64, Concer's Bad Fur Day and Super Smash Brothers with wireless muliplayer good.

GPJosh posted on May 12 2004 at 06:16 PM said:
Yeah I agree with you Akuma no Houkon that if it truely is a portable PS2 it will crush Nintendo. The only way I can see Nintendo surviving is a lot of good N64 ports BEFORE the PSP comes out. I'm talking Paper Mario, Mario 64, Concer's Bad Fur Day and Super Smash Brothers with wireless muliplayer good.
Even then, thats just surviving. not thriving. Kind of like what the GC is/does now. It survives, but doesnt thrive like the PS2 does.

I think the PSP will not only dominate the existing handheld market, but bring a whole new crowd to handheld gaming devices. Many people I talk to dont want to get a GBA, or any such gaming device because the games are so...well compare them to PC and modern console games and you will get the idea. They are just not...up to par. (although I for one love oldskool 2d games)

Most handheld gaming devices such as the Gameboy line, are targeted to childen, early to late teens. (although GBA SP's design had a little bit more apeal to the older crowd). And the occasional adult who still loves gaming (that would be many of us). I think the PSP, with its design and capabilities, will snare that other audiance as well, those who are into console gaming but never looked at handheld gaming seriously.

The PSP will not only dominate the current market, but also bring in new recruits who will see the handheld gaming in new perspective.

I can't see the PSP dominating, but I can see it being a very close race between the DS and it. There are soo many people who support the DS. I mean I just don't get how those people can be so excited it and like it so much more than the PSP. There is still a huge amount of kids that will probaby buy the DS as well, and their parents won't want to spend too much money on a handheld, especially if they think it looks delicate... I think I will get a job and buy both of them, to even it out... but PSP first.

Actually I hope it comes out equal, that will lead to no more monopolies in the handheld market by either company, which will lead to cheaper, better games for us.

i think if nintendo was doing good enough to charge as much as playstation for their systems they would, it's just that the gq is doing very badly. THis is becasue it's marketed to young children who have no money which=no sales Nintendo>all untill n64 came out, which IMO sucked to the max! I also agree with the psp being more adult oriented, it's not colored orange and bright colors so it looks more mature. It has much more usablility( movies, mp3, gamez, +othr stuff) compared to having two screens.
Anywho for now gp32_console > All :D :D :D :D

Are there no trigger buttons on the PSP? BTW, that thing in the lower-left corner is a speaker.

Azure posted on May 13 2004 at 03:09 AM said:
Are there no trigger buttons on the PSP? BTW, that thing in the lower-left corner is a speaker.
of course it has triggers, but that isn't a speaker.

Daz_Genetic posted on May 12 2004 at 09:46 PM said:
Azure posted on May 13 2004 at 03:09 AM said:
of course it has triggers, but that isn't a speaker.
It only has one pair of trigger buttons, right? So, what's that thing in the lower-right then? So, the speakers are the long horizontal bar at the top of the PSP?

yeah, the transparent bits in the top corners are the trigger buttons. Though i have been led to believe that the two small holes at the bottom of each side of the screen are speakers. And that circular thing is actually the analog joystick.

I could be wrong about this, but since there is analog stick support in the development APIs, I would assume that it is the stick, as it is the only thing that could be it on the face of the PSP.

Those two holes couldn't possibly be the speakers, could they? I mean, they WAY too freaken' small, and they don't even look like holes. They look like small depressions. As for the joystick, if that is what it is, I must say, looks very uncomfortable.

Akuma no Houkon posted on May 13 2004 at 12:08 AM said:
Daz_Genetic posted on May 12 2004 at 02:19 PM said:

I agree with you completely Daz.

And as for the price issue, right now PS2 is MUCH more expensive than the GC, yet it still sells _considerably_ more units. Anyone who thinks price is an issue here, needs to really look at the sale statistics of the consoles.

As for the two screens, thats going to be more distracting than usefull, nintendo is just trying to market some new gimmick because its their only hope. Oww goodie now we can see out the back in mario kart at the same time we see out the front, thats more distracting than usefull. Again, its a marketing GIMMICK.
GIMMICK said:
An innovative stratagem or scheme employed especially to promote a project

Remember people, not all of nintendos systems have been successfull (VirtualBoy). They dont always pick winners.

As for the 2.5 hours for movie playback, hell thats what most $500 portable DVD players to date get. Remember people, compressed media formats take A LOT of cpu power to decompress on the fly.

And the screen(s) are too tiny.

The same people said the same thing about Playstation when sony was going to get into the console market. "Oh nintendo is #1 and will always be", "they wont last long", "its much more expensive", etc...etc... the same stupid arguments that people are using the defend nintendo now, yet what happened? Sony crushed nintendo, they have more of the market share for home consoles than Nintendo and Microsoft combined. (much much more) You can deny it, or pretend like it isnt so, but that wont stop the reality of it. Sony doesnt do anything half assed. They know what the public wants, we want a portable PS2. Thats what they are giving us, and with a screen thats so amazing and huge that I am without words.
whoa... sony fanboy, are we?

As of now, im a GP32 fan, sega fanboy. To me, as a gamer wanting something FRESH, The DS is leading. The ive read lots of compliments from different publishers, they love it.

Nintendo took e3 from what Ive read around. The DS will be amazing, heres an excert:

Nintendo unveiling a new portable

By Steven Kent, Special forUSA TODAY
LOS ANGELES — Video game giant Nintendo, facing increased competition in the market for handheld entertainment, will have a new portable out this fall with twin color screens, sharper graphics and the feel of a PDA. The Nintendo DS — short for dual-screen — will be unveiled Tuesday morning at the annual Electronic Entertainment Expo game industry gathering.

You might be able to fool people into thinking your Nintendo DS is a PDA. But turn off the volume just to be safe.
Nintendo

The Nintendo DS — short for dual-screen — will be unveiled Tuesday morning at the annual Electronic Entertainment Expo game industry gathering. The DS will sell alongside today's Game Boy Advance, not replace it, according to the company. Nintendo has not announced a release date or price, though analysts predict it may sell in the $150 range.

One of the two 3-inch screens is touch-sensitive and works with a stylus — like Palms and Pocket PCs — to control the action in some games. In one demo, players guide a toddler-age Mario as he falls from the sky by drawing clouds. Other games give multiple views of the action.

The DS also has Bluetooth wireless communication to connect with other units within range for cordless competition. DS has separate slots for current Game Boy Advance cartridges and new, smaller DS game cards.

DS is largely viewed as Nintendo's response to Sony's PlayStation Portable, or PSP, a new system that will play both movies and video games stored on mini DVD discs. Sony has announced plans to release PSP in Japan later this year and in the USA in 2005.

"I have not seen the PSP," says Nintendo's Shigeru Miyamoto, creator of the famous Mario, Zelda and Donkey Kong characters. "The screen, I believe, is bigger than a DS screen, and I am sure it will have excellent graphic quality." But, he adds, "the PSP will not be able to display anything that you cannot do on a current system. ... We want to do things that you could not do before. We are looking at the creative end."

The DS has slightly more processing power than the Nintendo 64 console released in 1996. While that's nowhere near today's top game-system graphical capabilities, two- and three-dimensional game images, when viewed on DS screens, are surprisingly crisp.

Sony's PSP, reported to be only slightly less powerful than the PlayStation 2, will have a higher-resolution screen and more graphics power. The price has not yet been announced, though estimates have ranged to $250 and up.

Having sold more than 168 million Game Boys worldwide since 1989, Nintendo dominates the handheld game market, even as it's losing market share in console systems to Sony and Microsoft. Over the past 15 years, such companies as Sega, NEC, SNK and most recently cell phone giant Nokia have launched nine competing portable game systems without much success.

and the DS looks just as good as PSP:

Mario_4P_1.jpg

Metriod_6.jpg

I will buy a DS because its fresh, new, and wont be ports of existing PS2 games that are so so played already.

I will buy a DS because its fresh, new, and wont be ports of existing PS2 games that are so so played already.

But you'll play a grainier metroid prime that uses a stylus and a port/seqel to warioware? Right...

and...

DS looks as good as PSP graphically?

metal-gear-acid-200405110828305.jpg

Compare that to metroid and mario, just do it....Yeah.

Either your monitor is 10 years old, or you need glasses, badly. (The blocks in mario kart for DS aren't even properly transparent, they have a buncha holes in em.)

DS looks VERY nice, And I WILL pick one up, but compare it to The metal gear solid screens, or the GTA4 footage. Hell, even death Jr didn't have the "grain" the DS shots seem to have. And it's just shamed.

I despise sony usually (LOWER PS2'S PRICE ALREADY) but I have to admit, they did good this time.

Edit: Proof, download and watch.

http://media.psp.ign.com/articles/513/513445/vids_1.html

http://media.psp.ign.com/articles/514/514106/vids_1.html

Attachments

• metal-gear-acid-200405110828305.jpg
    115.2 KB · Views: 115
  • metal-gear-acid-200405110828305.jpg
    115.2 KB · Views: 103
Mark posted on May 12 2004 at 11:31 PM said:
Ah but the DS has two screens. They could be used as one.
Until now it seems that only one of the screens at a time can be used as a polygon pusher (either upper or lower), while the other screen must be in 2D mode at this time.

I don't think the winner is going to be decided by which console is better/sleaker/faster. Sony's design of the PSP (coming close as possible to a PS2) is clearly targeted at publisher looking for aonther way to make money from their franchises. Already we see big selling PS games like GT4, Metal Gear, GTA, Dynasty Warriors , Medievil, EA sports. These are the games the masses buy, so publishers are very eager to support the PSP to make some easy money. Just compare the (third party) line-up for the PSP and the DS.

What can the DS do? Offers us port from N64 games? Although the N64 did have some of the best games ever I don't think anybody (except us retroheads) is waiting for this.

Nintendo's saviour here will probably (again) be it's million seller when they come up with a DS pokemon game which always seem to sell shitloads and saved almost every Nintendo hardware system until now.

Add on: Die hard Nintendo fans (past the SNES era, usually in the N64 or gamecube eras) are some of the most DIM people I have ever met... Behold.

--------------------------------------------------------
Agrees with last poster, emulator screenshots (PSP) always look better cause of a computer's 3D
advantages and the enhancement options present in most emulators.
The DS shots are taken from the system itself, and as you know,
that was problem early on in gaming magazines,
cause the photo quality badly affected the screenshots.
So to reiterate, the quality of the PICS is the problem, not the quality of the GRAPHICS.

Well, its true that playing music drains less power but, the difference shouldn't be so much...

What's so good about 2.5 HOURS? Hello? Before you knew it,
you have to recharge. The device doesn't seem to be using common batteries,
but some of their own. And you know Sony stuffs,
they don't come cheap and if you use the non-original
one it may damage and SONY will just BLAME YOU. So? The bottom line is to get a N-DS! YAY@!
WTF are you talking about? I remember hearing of the DS before the PSP.
Nintendo has made a lot of portable consoles, and none have failed. However,
PSP will fail. DS is gonna kick it's ass. I can't wait to play a few new Mario games,
an Animal Crossing (Which is much better then any Sony game), and more.
The part about mature gamers... Oh, yeah, that's why we have the PS2 console system
Listen, graphics aren't everything. DS all the way. I might get a PSP, too.
But, what I'm saving my money for is a DS.

All quotes taken from the DS boards.

Back