Ripping Sprites

fade

Website
Visit site
According to the beats of rage documentation, Neo Geo games are the best ones for ripping animation sprites from. but what about sprites from arcade games that are not Neo Geo. How do you successfully rip these? Are there any recommended tools or methods for doing this?

Print screen and screenshots have a disadvantage though. The transparency is gone, and this might be very usefull in BoR for example. (Also, printscreen can only dump one framebuffer to memory, pressing printscreen again overwrites the previous dump)

printscreen+pause is apparently how its done even for BoR no?

You can add trans back in pretty easily :)

jeff

I think you can press F4 in MAME, and get all the sprites in the game. Don't know if it will work though, never used it myself...

im just using print screen with my GPFW mod, takes longer but works fine.

If is a Neo-Geo/Cps-1/Cps2 game use winkawaks shotfactory. Easy & fast
If is a Mame game... pause & print screen & photoshop. Slow & hard to "clean".

Byes

why use print screen when there's a command in mame that'll save screenshots for you?

Hmm, the idea of just using a plain print screen, whether its using keyboard print screen or mames in built screen dump and then having to clean every single sprite doesn't really appeal to me that much :) Although, for what i've got in mind it looks like thats my only option, aargh!

I've been mulling it over and it seems to me like the quickest way would be to use the AnimGet application and then make a file in photo shop with a viewable area the size of the sprite you want to make and then just keep importing the screen shots into it. This will cut off all the excess and make less clutter for you to erase. Then you can take the layers and place them into what ever sprite program you need.

Theoretically it could cut down on some of the head ache but I dont know for sure since I just got through thinking about it.

Thanks for the advice. If i'm going to have to do it the hard way, i.e. having clean off the detailed backgrounds from each and every sprite its going to be very tricky, does anyone know a good guaranteed method of cleaning up sprites that can't be isolated in their own layer and *are* going to have background graphics still there?

That method is great if your looking to use Neo-Geo sprites, as you can turn off the background layer, but if its other arcade games not supported by neo-rage then it looks like its the tough method. :unsure:

Back