Rlyeh's Unannounced New Emu + Public Fmame Soon

commando runs in a vertical screen anyone know what res it needs? Am wondering if it's 240x320 then then screen will either be squished or rotated to fit on the gp32 screen...

either way it's gonna be good tho ;)

I'm sensing some good times ahead! :D

Classic mame games on the GP32 will be just amazing!

frolik posted on Oct 22 2004 at 12:44 AM said:
commando runs in a vertical screen anyone know what res it needs? Am wondering if it's 240x320 then then screen will either be squished or rotated to fit on the gp32 screen...

either way it's gonna be good tho ;)

Yes, you would have to rotate the unit to play it. Ms. Pacman, Donkeykong, Dig dug, Galaga, Galaxian, Centipede, Zaxxon, etc would all run rotated as they were 200 x 320 or 240 x 320 resolution too. You could crop the screen but that would be worse than rotating it.

Last edited by a moderator:
kotd posted on Oct 22 2004 at 12:24 PM said:
Rlyeh said he may be able to get games up to 91 or 92 running.

Any idea if these games will have the sound working too? Sound was half of the experience with these old games. What would Pac-Man be without the "waka waka waka" sound?

Wow it would be really wonderfull :)

Btw I really wish that one day we'll see a rotate screen option as it look like necessary for sooooo many great old classicals :)

And now, wireless multiplayer support and Gauntlet for the win.

area posted on Oct 26 2004 at 06:31 PM said:

And now, wireless multiplayer support and Gauntlet for the win.

Really?? where??

WOW in this case ;p

Gruntfuggly posted on Oct 19 2004 at 06:38 PM said:
The BBC contributed a hell of a lot to the video games scene. Personally, I never liked Spectrums, and wouldn't choose to use one, emulated or not, but I still think it's great that there is an emulator available for it on the GP32....

The BBC hasnt added that much to the video games scene compared to the C64 or the Spectrum.

There were a handful of decent games for it but even magazines like Retro Gamer didnt bother reviewing the BBC until a fair few issues in.

You are sounding a bit like a hypocrite, yes that guy was stupid for totally slating the emulator as he didnt really know what it was but on ther other hand you say you never liked spectrums and you wouldnt choose to use one whatever. Why on earth not ?

I had a Speccy when i was younger but thanks to emulation i can now try Commodore games and Amstrad and eventually i'll dip into the BBC once it gets a decent emulator. So even now you just would flat out refuse to use a Spectrum emulator ? Sounds crazy as many people both Commodore and ex Amstrad owners would be happy playing games on a Speccy emulator. Each machine does have its own good set of games, the BBC was rather limited than most but it just does seem you are being totally BBC biased

Firstly, I didn't mean that I wouldn't use an Spectrum emulator simple because it was a Spectrum emulator. I wouldn't use one, simply because I never used to have one, so I never played games on it. It doesn't hold any memories for me. I have no problem with it, or people who love them.

Secondly, how can you base your idea of what the BBC contributed to the games scene on the time it took to review it in a modern magazine?

Maybe I should have given some examples, to explain what I mean:

* The BBC was the first home computer/games machine to have virtually identical versions of arcade games, eg pacman, defender, missile command, etc. They were so close to the originals that Acorn were threatened with legal action by the likes of Atari, and had to make subtle changes to make them available.

* Elite was first written for the bbc - I don't need to go further with that...

* Exile likewise...

* Several games programmers started with the BBC - people like Geoff Crammond, Nick Pelling (Orlando), Chris Roberts, etc. Obviously there were plenty of other programmers who started on other machines Jeff Minter, etc. but I am just pointing out that the BBC had a impact.

* The BBC was the forerunner of the Archimedes, which was the first incarnation of the ARM processor, which has now found it's way into the GP32, GBA, etc.

I'm not into console wars - I just don't like to see something dismissed by people who don't know/understand enough about it. I am biased towards the BBC, because it's what I used to most when I was younger, but I also had a 64 and that had some great games on it. Luckily, we already have a 64 emulator, and a spectrum emulator - I'd just like to add a BBC emulator to the list...

Back