Rom Myths

I don't think anyone here will be deleting all their roms because of this topic..

This is mostly a discussion of the legality of owning ROMs, it hasn't turned into an ethical discussion. So unless someone considers something illegal to also be something unethical, I doubt anyone delete their ROMs over this discussion, as you say.

Tobriand posted on Aug 26 2004 at 04:24 PM said:
For example, so far as I know, you're acclowed to photocopy a couple of pages of a book you own for, say, scribbling notes on.

AH! now that's probably the best augument there is for downloading roms: educational purposes.

You may not take this seriously but iirc it is perfectly legal to use copyrighted material for educational reasons. It is also perfectly legal when used to investigate a criminal act.

OK, it's obviously not a practical excuse but it IS the only 'loophole' there is. I suppose you could say, you are researching for an essay titled: "Is gaming bad for your health?". As far as I know this would be completely legitimate.

I will look up some evidence on this, please post if you have any proof of agreement/disagreement.

Last edited by a moderator:
MYTH #8 you cannot convert a rom to fxe or exe, so stop asking about it, its as anoying as the Q: "how do i convert an exe to fxe", just cos theres one letter difference doesnt mean you can convert it like that.

gatso posted on Aug 26 2004 at 04:58 PM said:
myth 1 IS corerct, at least in germany. But under different circumstances. You are allowed to have a ROM of a certain game,if the game is no longer available. This also includes: ebay, second hand items, and if they are not available for a period longer than i think 6 months. But because you can find almoust any game on ebay, its ilegal to download roms.

Yeah I dont know about germany but the copyright law is applicable to the country the copyright was made in. Look at the recent Half Life source engine law suits

This is not true. The copyright law of the country you are living in is the one that applies. So if you live in a country that allows you to make a backup copy of your original you are entitled to do this for all games, no matter what country they are from. You are just not allowed to export them to countries that forbid making copies.

Horscht posted on Aug 26 2004 at 04:33 PM said:
myth 1 IS corerct, at least in germany. But under different circumstances. You are allowed to have a ROM of a certain game,if the game is no longer available. This also includes: ebay, second hand items, and if they are not available for a period longer than i think 6 months. But because you can find almoust any game on ebay, its ilegal to download roms.

No, it's not, not even here in Germany.
The law you're talking about is an often wrong-understood AMERICAN LAW.

You MAY DOWNLOAD AND USE ROMS if you OWN the original cartridge and you can't get it to work anymore (i.e. if it's broken or the console is defect and can't be bought anymore), but ONLY if the game is not available anymore.

In the EU, you're NOT allowed to download roms.

Last edited:
VirtuaLeech posted on Aug 27 2004 at 02:26 PM said:
gatso posted on Aug 26 2004 at 04:58 PM said:

Yeah I dont know about germany but the copyright law is applicable to the country the copyright was made in. Look at the recent Half Life source engine law suits

This is not true. The copyright law of the country you are living in is the one that applies. So if you live in a country that allows you to make a backup copy of your original you are entitled to do this for all games, no matter what country they are from. You are just not allowed to export them to countries that forbid making copies.

Yep, one of the big problems for the IDSA: They cannot shutdown internet sites offering roms in countries where offering of backup roms is legal.
All they need to write is "You may only download if you are legally entitled to..." and the IDSA can't do anything...

Last edited:
EvilDragon posted on Aug 29 2004 at 07:33 PM said:
Horscht posted on Aug 26 2004 at 04:33 PM said:

No, it's not, not even here in Germany.
The law you're talking about is an often wrong-understood AMERICAN LAW.

You MAY DOWNLOAD AND USE ROMS if you OWN the original cartridge and you can't get it to work anymore (i.e. if it's broken or the console is defect and can't be bought anymore), but ONLY if the game is not available anymore.

In the EU, you're NOT allowed to download roms.

well i read that in a german computer magazine a year ago. Gotta have a look if i can find the magazine.

Back