Rough Tv Output

fargo

I just got a TV-Out cable for my gp2x. I was really surprised by the VERY bad display it puts on the TV screen. Everything is pixelized with rough edges. Movies look ugly. Is this normal? What can I do to improve the output?

The TV-Out cable just doubles the pixels to make it output to the full size of your TV. The menu will be a bit blocky, but it's not that bad.

However, the video player will play the video in its full resolution (if it's a 640x480 video, it'll play in 640x480--meaning it should be clear). Are you sure your video isn't a small resolution to start with?

I just got a TV-Out cable for my gp2x. I was really surprised by the VERY bad display it puts on the TV screen. Everything is pixelized with rough edges. Movies look ugly. Is this normal? What can I do to improve the output?

I have a similar problem.
PAL output gives a colour image, but it looks as if it's got interference.
NTSC output gives a perfectly sharp image, in black and white.

I wondered if this was due to it being an old tv-out cable? (I believe there's a newer type?)

Ta.

Last edited by a moderator:
Depends on where you use the TV Out cable.
Looks fine on my CRT TV, but looks ugly and blocky on a Plasma Screen...

I had same problem with conversion cable S-video to SCART:
- on PAL there was a color image with interference
- on NTSC there was a clean B&W image

than I looked into setup menu (on TV) and find changeable option "S-video ON/OFF" so I turn this option to ON and there was a nice clean color image on PAL mode :)

than I looked into setup menu (on TV) and find changeable option "S-video ON/OFF" so I turn this option to ON and there was a nice clean color image on PAL mode :)
Do you mean your TV has s-video but you connected it to SCART? My TV has composite and component imputs only :(

So I guess some scart inputs are s-video and some are not?

The GP2X only sets PAL and NTSC movie modes (720x576 or 720x480), so movies should look fine (never tried myself though). Everything else will look like shit. PAL will scale games up to 360x288 and NTSC will look slightly better but still scaled to 360x240 (never at any point does it do nice doubled scaling). The GPH driver for the tv chip does include code for an NTSC game mode (320x240 with correct overscan so you don't loose the edges of the screen) but it doesn't work for some reason. Myself and Rlyeh have spent a little time trying to get a true 320x240 working, but no luck so far (it should be possible though - the chip fully supports both PAL and NTSC game modes).

I've messed about in PAL and NTSC modes and it all looks pretty blurred and yukky :p Will probably sell my TV out on Ebay whenever I get a chance.

Hopefully the BOB TV output will be better (?)

Do you mean your TV has s-video but you connected it to SCART? My TV has composite and component imputs only :(

no my TV has only SCART - I use conversion cable from S-video output (gp2x tv-out cable) to SCART input

So I guess some scart inputs are s-video and some are not?

maybe some TVs can emulate(?) S-video on SCART connector I think... I was suprised with this "S-video ON/OFF" option in TV menu so I try it and image is good now

Depends on where you use the TV Out cable.
Looks fine on my CRT TV, but looks ugly and blocky on a Plasma Screen...

On all of my NTSC televisions (CRT/projection), some lines don't show up. Is this due to the fact that NTSC doesn't have as many scanlines as PAL? It doesn't seem to scale up at all... :(

On the earlier Firmware I had trouble with full resolution videos playing jerkily on my TV. The firmware upgrade fixed this, but now, I see this blocky effect which wasn't there before. I am on FW 2.1.1

Another thing I was wondering about... why doesn't the GP2X anti-alias photos when they are scaled in the photo viewer, images just look too bloody blocky.
THIS is one of the things that most annoys me about the GP2X!

Lots of times I wanted to show some photos to friends/relatives but the image quality on the TV out is embarrassing so I just show them on the little GP2x screen.
It's a real shame because I'm sure it couldn't be that hard to fix: it's just an extension on the same principle as what the video player does when it scales a 720x576 AVI for example. Maybe in FW 3.1?

Lobo posted on Feb 20 2007 at 09:32 PM said:
THIS is one of the things that most annoys me about the GP2X!

Lots of times I wanted to show some photos to friends/relatives but the image quality on the TV out is embarrassing so I just show them on the little GP2x screen.
It's a real shame because I'm sure it couldn't be that hard to fix: it's just an extension on the same principle as what the video player does when it scales a 720x576 AVI for example. Maybe in FW 3.1?
The reason why this is the case is quite simple: GPH just don't understand how their hardware works. They didn't write the video player either.

Back