Routing The Host Port

invinciblegod

Does anyone know that if I soldier the pins from the usb host port to the usb client port (the mini usb port) would it mess something up?

invinciblegod posted on Jul 25 2006 at 12:45 AM said:
Does anyone know that if I soldier the pins from the usb host port to the usb client port (the mini usb port) would it mess something up?

Yes.

Last edited by a moderator:
atomicthumbs posted on Jul 24 2006 at 06:07 PM said:
invinciblegod posted on Jul 25 2006 at 12:45 AM said:

Yes.
ok

invinciblegod posted on Jul 24 2006 at 06:54 PM said:
usb host on mini usb port?
Then it is OK if you cut the traces to the onboard chips first.

I wouldn't do it though. For many reasons.

1 That would put it under your hand when playing, bad.
2 You lose the USB 2.0, bad.
3 You still need a cable, why not just move the +5volts to the EXT port and use an EXT to USB cable?

That way you only need to move the one wire, there are a few useless pins in the EXT, try using one of the ones for USB Device 1.1 going into the MMSP2.

nubie posted on Jul 24 2006 at 09:03 PM said:
3 You still need a cable, why not just move the +5volts to the EXT port and use an EXT to USB cable?

Neat idea. According to the wiki, pins 11 and 12 are unused. Can anyone confirm this so I would be certain to not ruin anything if I tried it?

Ah, no. Here's the complete pinout:

1. AUDIO_GND ___ 9. USBH1- ______ 17. JTAG [TDI]
2. TV_SND_R ____ 10. USBH1+ _____ 18. JTAG [TRS]
3. TV_SND_L ____ 11. USBD- _______ 19. nRESET
4. SV_OUT_C ____ 12. USBD+ ______ 20. +3.3V
5. SV_OUT_Y ____ 13. GND _________ 21. +3.3V
6. AUDIO_GND ___ 14. JTAG [TDO] __ 22. RXD0 / GPD0
7. GND_TV ______ 15. JTAG [TCK]___ 23. TXD0 / GPD1
8. GND_TV ______ 16. JTAG [TMS] ___ 24. GND

Is this correct?

Is there any pin that would be safe to send the 5v through, or would I have to cut one of the +3.3V traces?

Well, 11 and 12 are used for usb slave, which is on the side of the unit anyway, so I'd reuse those.

Squidge posted on Jul 25 2006 at 11:32 AM said:
Well, 11 and 12 are used for usb slave, which is on the side of the unit anyway, so I'd reuse those.

To make sure I didn't ruin anything, I'd still have to cut the traces, though, correct?

I'm not sure how I could do that on something with pins that small.

jmetal88 posted on Jul 25 2006 at 10:24 AM said:
Squidge posted on Jul 25 2006 at 11:32 AM said:

To make sure I didn't ruin anything, I'd still have to cut the traces, though, correct?

I'm not sure how I could do that on something with pins that small.
I haven't looked, but maybe trace them back a bit until there is room.

Or use a needle to scrape while looking through a large magnifier to ensure you got it all.

A bonus is that if you do 12 and 13 I think you can solder both at once, should be easier than just one.

Back