GP2X Rpg Engine For Gp2x

relaxis

Still Fresh
Seriously, it would be great for us newbies to have some kind of program that runs in windows to create games for the GP2X - something like rpg maker xp. It would have to be written from scratch of course...

suggested languages? ruby? allegro?

Relaxis posted on Aug 30 2006 at 12:09 PM said:
Seriously, it would be great for us newbies to have some kind of program that runs in windows to create games for the GP2X - something like rpg maker xp. It would have to be written from scratch of course...

Or.... learn to program.

Fenix & pygame are damn simple languages you know...

Last edited by a moderator:
xcen posted on Aug 30 2006 at 04:12 PM said:

He said easy, it might be too hard and cost too much money for him [/sarcasm]

In seriousness, learning to program can easily only cost time... =) you can learn completely free and make programs completely free.

Why jump on the guy for, this is the wishes forum for a reason. It's not like he demanded some 60FPS SNES emulator either. :)

- Alex

Azalin posted on Aug 30 2006 at 09:18 PM said:
Who needs 60FPS? Secret of mana runs DAMN fine on 15fps. Never noticed anything that terrible with it.

I'd like an emulgator that shits diamonds plz! KTHXBAI!!!!!!!

Azalin posted on Aug 30 2006 at 10:55 PM said:
For the record, i was not being saracastic in my comment abgout SoM. I find it runs quite fine @ 15fps.
I believe you, static games kick ass at low FPS, it's platformers and shmups that don't. Which reminds me, it's time I give ChronoTrigger a try on nk's SNES! :)

- Alex

i tried to learn Fenix, and even that was too hard for me =( some people just dont have the right kind of mind to code =( ive tried many times to learn but it just bores me...

Paradox posted on Sep 4 2006 at 10:50 AM said:
ive tried many times to learn but it just bores me...

Ah... the old "I want results now" mentality. Too bad, lots professions have a long study time before you can do something useful, and Computer Science is the epitome of this.

Relaxis posted on Aug 30 2006 at 05:09 PM said:

I was thinking about something like this for my next project. I have a lot of existing PC based RPG related code that should scale well to the GP2X, if I decide to port it. It's a tile based ISO engine, with a very object oriented world design, making it easy to add new content, or with the right gfx - create a whole new game world. Watch this space...

Out of interest (and perhaps a projet...) what would "people" want from an RPG engine?
I know that's a HUGE question, I'm talking broad strokes sort of thing.

I've only just started with C++ again and a total newbie to SDL so don't expect anything soon(see oxo for my only creation so far), although the idea does interest me somewhat.

I've not played RPGs to much, Dungeon Master, the odd Jackson braching novel here and there and a set of Space Marines games (OK not true or real RPGs, as good as I got though! :) )

Damn, i had alist of features written up a few weeks back to see if people would be interested in them. I'll see if i can find and post it in the next few days, might take a bit though since stupid h-school starts up again tomorrow.

Azalin posted on Sep 5 2006 at 04:37 AM said:
Damn, i had alist of features written up a few weeks back to see if people would be interested in them. I'll see if i can find and post it in the next few days, might take a bit though since stupid h-school starts up again tomorrow.
No worries, I'll be about till Friday, then I'm on my hols (with no internet for a whole week, glad to have a 2x!) so no rush.

Drop me a PM and/or post it here if you could :)

Thanks
Ben
---

Seriously, did anyone ever hear of that zelda style engine again? Are they still working on this? Just curious as it was such a huge story when announced.

Someone should make a minimalistic GCS like ZZT (on my signature). Sure, I know how to program games for GP32 and stuff, but I still would rather make games for ZZT, a 16 year old GCS, simply because I can make *better* games for it. Better as in it is easier to show a lot of effort in the games.

JaqMs posted on Sep 5 2006 at 09:53 PM said:
Someone should make a minimalistic GCS like ZZT (on my signature). Sure, I know how to program games for GP32 and stuff, but I still would rather make games for ZZT, a 16 year old GCS, simply because I can make *better* games for it. Better as in it is easier to show a lot of effort in the games.

... What an ass. I'm sorry, but that post just proves you're an asshole.

If the statement that you can program for the GP32 is true to the extent that you know what gcc is, and you are downcasting the GP2X for it being an "emulator machine," I have to call you an asshole for not doing anything about making it more of a homebrew/commercial machine by porting/making games/engines for the GP2X.

If you have had the time to downplay the GP2X and praise the XGP series with all that might, you just wasted so much time because you could have done something like make the GP2X BETTER, or hell, porting whatever you made on the GP2X to the XGP when it comes out. Hell, even make a weak GP2X version and a better XGP version, for commercial or for free, and make people want to buy an XGP!

Back