Rpg Maker

dynamic1

Still Fresh
Just got my GP2X about a week ago and I love it. Been playing around with some of the graphics libraries out there and wondering what I should make. Anyway, I'm curious if there is an "RPG Maker"-style game out there for the GP2X. I'm sure some of you remember (or possibly still use) that RPG Maker 2000/XP stuff, or one of the many other engines available out there.

I couldn't find anything so I'm working on one right now. But I remember that RPG Maker 2000/XP, while cool, lacked a lot of features so I'm curious whether people here would be interested in helping to define what the "ideal" RPG Maker game would do. I've got a lot of work to do before these details are implemented, but eventually I will need to know what type of chipsets to support (I figured the RPG Maker ones since resources would be abundant), what the battle system should be like, and so on.

If any of this seems stupid, feel free to let me know, I'm new to all this so it's likely I'm doing something wrong.

An RPG maker would be neat, but you really aren't making anything new with one. You are just seeing the different ways that a program is programmed. I think the beauty of the GP2X is that it is a platform that you can code for. I mean really code for with for example actual code. I personally haven't coded much except with a little basic, but I would love to dive in and get started. Check the GP2X wiki for more info on coding as well as troubleshooting. Good luck. :) http://wiki.gp2x.org/wiki/Main_Page

An RPG maker would be neat, but you really aren't making anything new with one. You are just seeing the different ways that a program is programmed.

I'm not sure I understand you there. If there's already an RPG Maker for the GP2X, can you please link me to it? :D

And thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
i think he's saying, if you're going to spend that much time, you may as well learn a little coding too. why not try fenix? it's a good language for getting your feet wet...more like a kit/program than C or others.

oh yeah...
crap adventure construction kit beta 1
http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showtopic=34213

no editor program yet though. you have to edit some files...explained here http://gp2x.sector808.org/cack.php

i think he's saying, if you're going to spend that much time, you may as well learn a little coding too.

I am coding it... not sure what's the "best" devkit to use, but I like Ruby so I'm trying the Rubygame SDL port. If that ends up being too slow (as Ruby is an interpretted lanuage, it's a possibility I have to expect) then I'm prepared to port it into C++ (but I'll prolly stick with SDL).

I'll check that link out, thanks.

damn, i'm sorry, i read your post wrong. you're making an rgp-maker and want to know what features people want.

i think it's a great idea but unfortunately i've never used one of those and i don't really have any suggestions for you. best of luck, though.

Back