Rrootage Port

TandeM

Mega Pandora Mania?
Website
Visit site
Kenta Cho's rRootage is a killer shmup for the PC. It's open source, uses SDL, has OGG BGM, and runs (relatively) smoothly in hi-res (640x480) mode on a P166.

Bullet patterns are handled with BulletML (libs here). RNG (random number generation - creates unique patterns on the fly) is done with the Mersenne Twister algorithm. C source of the MT algorithm is available here.

OpenGL is required, though, and I imagine that isn't exactly the GP32's forte. I'm not sure if it can handle all that pixel pushing, but some demos (3400 sprites, etc.) make it seem possible.

If rRootage can't be ported (or ported well) for one reason or another, perhaps another game from that site can?

Actually, I've been looking to port Noiz2sa for a while. It's pure SDL and has a 320x240 mode on the command options...

Well, Noiz2sa is just about the next best thing. rRootage is still my favorite, though. :)

Bullet Philharmonic Orchestra is pretty nice as well. (get your Psyvariar on while listening to MP3s/OGGs/MIDIs!) That's open source too; don't know if it can be easily ported.

rRootage's low-res mode is 320x240 as well, I'm pretty sure. Wonder if it'd be playable in TATE/vertical mode (Start = Fire, L = Bomb/Special?)

There are quite a few free PC shooters out there I'd like to see ports of but I never thought of how many might be open source untill now, even after I posted the Armagetron link last week.

it might be time to scavange the free PC game sites again and see whats intersting.

TandeM posted on Mar 25 2004 at 10:52 PM said:
rRootage's low-res mode is 320x240 as well, I'm pretty sure. Wonder if it'd be playable in TATE/vertical mode (Start = Fire, L = Bomb/Special?)
I like rRootage better, too, but the game is laced with OpenGL for the transparency effects. It's a not-trivial matter.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back