Running Android Apps in Pyra OS

ED have nothing to do with that lol. I think you better learn how the community/scene works :) .
That's why you are new here. Listen and learn.
You realize that EvilDragon actually said he was going to be looking into it personally, right? Klumpen quoted his original intentions and ED responded that he was going to inquire "this week" back in February. It doesn't seem entirely far out to ask whether there's been any progress there or not.

Looks like Faust did more reading then you two :p

Last edited by a moderator:
What i was trying to say is that ED have not to give him consent or interest on it and it can be developed without it. It's easier to read this way rather than the way you two made. But hey! I know that "the salt is high" on this boards so it's normal read the messages like an attack ;) .

You are doing the wrong sum XD. Why did you quote the Faust phrase that I WAS NOT answering to?

Well if ED decided to include the support or an app that supports it, He should knows it, no need to have the Pyra out. That was the question in this topic, right ?
+

ED have nothing to do with that lol. I think you better learn how the community/scene works :) .
=

Totally computes. And the explanation:

What i was trying to say is that ED have not to give him consent or interest on it and it can be developed without it. It's easier to read this way rather than the way you two made. But hey! I know that "the salt is high" on this boards so it's normal read the messages like an attack ;) .

Thanks Thatguy ans Wizard! Maybe I have to learn how community works, but some need to learn how to read a topic. As you understood I'm talking about what have been mentioned before. As ED looks for it too, I was wondering if He had more informations about his research.

What i was trying to say is that ED have not to give him consent or interest on it and it can be developed without it
That goes without saying. It's also irrelevant to the topic.The issue has nothing to do with consent or development within the community. ED has already expressed interest, he said he was going to look into this and give us an update back in February. It's been months and no update. Telling someone they can develop it themselves does not solve the problem: ED has the contacts, he said he would investigate, it does not seem at all unreasonable to ask for an update. Maybe he forgot to send the email. Maybe he did, didn't get a response, meant to send another but forgot that. Maybe it came back negative and he didn't get around to telling us. Maybe it's already a positive thing but he's waiting for the right moment to tell us.

In any event, Faust's question directly follows from the topic; telling him he can "do it himself" actually strays from the topic.

You are doing the wrong sum XD. ....
No its not, its equally worse or more straight: just bollocks. ED is cited in the first post of this thread, with a statement that matches this topic a 100% and at no point did Faust formulate any demand,command,accusation or whatever towards ED, Faust writing - you quoted - isn't even directed at ED.The explanation is nonsensical too > the "salt is high" thingy is no excuse for beeing rude for no reason at all

@Wizarstan, @thatgui, as we say here: La peseta pa' ti. I am not going to explain myself anymore because I know why I said what I said and in the mood that I said (I was not rude or at least didn't mean to be rude)

Dude, just apologize. You misunderstood and came to a false conclusion; there is nothing wrong with that.

You were rude, whether you meant to or not is irrelevant. Trying to pretend that you weren't only compounds the issue.

I would assume running any applications on the Pyra is good, having a full collection of available android apps would be super (we can run Android anyways, right?). Any tool that helps combining linux/android is an advantage.

One of my dreams for the Pyra is to be able to run two Android virtual machines under the Debian OS. One for work, one for play. In this dream all 3 (Debian, Android Work, Android Play) would all be running simultaneously with the foreground application getting priority and the other two shuffled off to 5% or so of the CPU.

Debian would handle the network bridge much like VirtualBox does now on X86. The Android VMs would run in more or less 'tablet mode' where they only see display, sound, networking bridge, HID (Keyboard, mouse, touchscreen), GPS, tilt & rumble.

It's a fun dream.

Bringing this conversation back to something resembling 'on track'.

So - I was thinking...
QEMU on X86 can emulate X86 and ARM systems.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/QEMU#ARM
"ARM QEMU emulates the ARMv7 instruction set (and down to ARMv5TEJ) with NEON extension.[23] It emulates full systems like Integrator/CP board, Versatile baseboard, RealView Emulation baseboard, XScale-based PDAs, Palm Tungsten|E PDA, Nokia N800 and Nokia N810 Internet tablets etc. QEMU also powers the Android emulator which is part of the Android SDK (most current Android implementations are ARM based). Starting from version 2.0.0 of their Bada SDK, Samsung has chosen QEMU to help development on emulated 'Wave' devices.

In 1.5.0 and 1.6.0 Samsung Exynos 4210 (dual-core Cortex a9) and Versatile Express ARM Cortex-A9 ARM Cortex-A15 are emulated. In 1.6.0, the 32-bit instructions of the ARMv8 (AARCH64) architecture are emulated, but 64-bit instructions are unsupported."

https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Mozilla/Developer_guide/Virtual_ARM_Linux_environment

So, would the QEMU on ARM that allows us to emulate X86 also be able to emulate 'other' ARM platforms? I'm betting it isn't going to be that simple, but is that the right path to be pursuing? Once there, would a Pyra OS running inside of a QEMU inside of a PyraOS be possible? Would Android running inside of a QEMU inside of a PyraOS host be possible? Is there a shorter path to get there?

An open source Android: https://source.android.com/

What is the shortest path to being able to have multiple distinct Android VM instances running in switchable background/foreground mode under the Debian host OS on the ARM SoC in the Pyra?

Bringing this conversation back to something resembling 'on track'.

So - I was thinking...
QEMU on X86 can emulate X86 and ARM systems.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/QEMU#ARM
"ARM QEMU emulates the ARMv7 instruction set (and down to ARMv5TEJ) with NEON extension.[23] It emulates full systems like Integrator/CP board, Versatile baseboard, RealView Emulation baseboard, XScale-based PDAs, Palm Tungsten|E PDA, Nokia N800 and Nokia N810 Internet tablets etc. QEMU also powers the Android emulator which is part of the Android SDK (most current Android implementations are ARM based). Starting from version 2.0.0 of their Bada SDK, Samsung has chosen QEMU to help development on emulated 'Wave' devices.

In 1.5.0 and 1.6.0 Samsung Exynos 4210 (dual-core Cortex a9) and Versatile Express ARM Cortex-A9 ARM Cortex-A15 are emulated. In 1.6.0, the 32-bit instructions of the ARMv8 (AARCH64) architecture are emulated, but 64-bit instructions are unsupported."

https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Mozilla/Developer_guide/Virtual_ARM_Linux_environment

So, would the QEMU on ARM that allows us to emulate X86 also be able to emulate 'other' ARM platforms? I'm betting it isn't going to be that simple, but is that the right path to be pursuing? Once there, would a Pyra OS running inside of a QEMU inside of a PyraOS be possible? Would Android running inside of a QEMU inside of a PyraOS host be possible? Is there a shorter path to get there?

An open source Android: https://source.android.com/

What is the shortest path to being able to have multiple distinct Android VM instances running in switchable background/foreground mode under the Debian host OS on the ARM SoC in the Pyra?

Wouldn't something like GINGE (and its inspiration, WINE) be more efficient for trying to run Android apps on similar hardware? Or do you want actual sandboxed instances of android?

-God Ginrai

Wouldn't something like GINGE (and its inspiration, WINE) be more efficient for trying to run Android apps on similar hardware? Or do you want actual sandboxed instances of android?

-God Ginrai
I am after actual sandboxed instances of Android. Preferably two of them running simultaneously under the Debian host handling bridged networking so I can keep work and personal instances isolated from each other.

I would much prefer to send some dev boards and/or money to the Replicant devs or some other FOSS devs to make an integrated Android work in Debian ARM, than to pay some company to give us some binary-only black box that magically works now but does not necessarily get updated and does not allow to be tinkered with
amen

Back