Running VASSAL Gaming Engine on the Pandora

jilocasin

Still Fresh
Hello everyone!

I just got my Pandora and am a total noob with no programming skills whatsoever.

As a fan and developer of ("analog") board and card games, I was wondering if and how I could run the Vassal Gaming Engine on my Pandora. Vassal is free, open source program with which you can play hundreds of card and board games in realtime with people all over the world.

I downloaded and unzipped the linux version of VASSAL here:

http://www.vassalengine.org/download.php

All I get though is a .sh file which I am unable to execute.

So my question would be if anyone knows how one could run this on the Pandora. Do I need to convert the .sh file into a pnd file first? And if yes, how?

Maybe someone with greater knowledge and skills like I have can "port" VASSAL for use on the Pandora... IMHO it would be a great addition to the library of Pandora Apps.

Please help me out on this one...

Many thanks in advance!

Andi

P.S.: I am designer of a fantasy-style customizable card game that is published and for sale in the US. If anyone would be interested to port it to the Pandora please get in touch with me ;)

Oh nevermind I guess. Figured it out myself.

Had to install java first and started the vassal.sh file over the terminal.

Works great. Check it out some time if you like card and board games.

Still a pnd would rock so you could start vassal without having to type anything in the terminal. Is there a way to create a pnd from the .sh file?

Actually it doesnt work after all. The vassal client runs well but when I open the module (the actual game) crashes after a few minutes... :p Can anybody please help me??

Need more information to help you, what error are you getting? How long are you waiting? have you tried a smaller module?

Java on the Pandora can be very buggy, It's been reported that overclocking can stabilize some Java apps. JCloisterzone which I packaged for the Pandora seems to run more stable at 900mhz then it does at 600mhz..

Back