1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dismiss Notice

Sailfish OS on Pyra?

Discussion in 'Other OS' started by GinGordon, Jul 8, 2018.

Tags:
  1. GinGordon

GinGordon Still Fresh

I do not want to be a party crasher, but is seems that Sailfish OS on the Gemini PDA is getting a really big thing.

Some advantages of Sailfish OS on Pyra would be:
    • Out-of-the-box phone support,
    • Graphic acceleration,
    • Linux command line,
    • Optimised for a horizontal layout,
    • Support for a limited set of Android apps, if you are in such a thing.
    There are already numerous Youtube videos in several languages showing Sailfish OS in action on the Gemini PDA.

Sailfish OS on Pyra would be even better than that!
    Would it be possible? Would a license be required for certain Jolla software components and at what extra cost?

Last edited: Jul 8, 2018
    Tags:
    rygD likes this.
  2. Caine

Caine Hardcore Member

I don't have any experience with Sailfish, isn't that another touch-screen heavy app swiping landscape? Why would I use that if I can have a full-fledged desktop environment?

3. AnimatedFreak

AnimatedFreak Very Active Member

Well if people are using it on the Gemini and like it I could see why people would want it on the Pyra.
    Sailfish OS is made for arm I'm assuming so in theory it should work as the Pyra's boot loader isn't locked down. But someone might have to make a custom image for it to support some of the specific hardware features of the Pyra. You also gotta keep in mind that the Gemini was made to support Android out of the box. So things like phone usability was in the design from the start. With the Pyra you would probably have to use a headset for example to make it viable.

4. second exodous

second exodous Advanced Member

Hmm, I might try it but for me I want the Pyra for a full desktop OS. Having a mobile OS might be fun to play with but in the end I'll be using a full desktop as my main driver.

5. GinGordon

GinGordon Still Fresh

Each use case is different of course, but me personally, I would already be a very happy camper with vim, wyrd, ipython, ssh and mercurial-hg all in the command line.

Dual and even triple booting has been demonstrated on the Gemini PDA, so that might also be an adaptive solution to varying circumstances (e.g. on the move in a train/on a plane versus sedentary in a coffee shop).

As a matter of fact, given a stable connection, I could do everything through ssh (or mosh) on my server. I have no problem living in the command line for doing my productive stuff. For information and entertainment, there will undoubtedly be one or more browsers available on Sailfish OS.

However, this raises the following additional questions:
    • What apps are available on Sailfish (standard and add-on)?
    • Would it be possible to run some kind of package manager in the Sailfish command line to haul in common GNU/Linux command line packages? E.g. I have seen top running on Sailfish.
    Apart from Sailfish OS, there is more MeeGo/Mer offspring that might be more open.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2018
    rygD likes this.
  6. dracmas

dracmas Still Fresh

The software to run Android apps it's paid from sailfish to another company. Assuming you do get their os running on the pyra it won't automatically come with Android support for their apps. That feature is when you buy a device from sailfish.

7. second exodous

I actually hope it is easier to boot multiple OSs on the Pyra than it was the Pandora, or at least have more options. I'm always trying out other OSs on my computers, not just distros but OSs, so being able to try other things on my Pyra would be great!

I fully support getting other OSs on the Pyra. Like I said, I'll try them all that make it on provided they aren't a huge headache to install/setup.

8. rygD

rygD Nihilistic Mystic

Swap the micro SD to use another OS.

What problems do you have trying different ones on the Pandora?

9. second exodous

Oh duh! Yeah, I knew this. I actually ran my OS off the SD card because I didn't want to wear out the NAND.

I think I'm remembering just every other OS was difficult to get running. I haven't used my Pandora for anything but playing games for so long I am out of the loop on what OSs are out there. I remember when I tried last the other OSs were difficult to install.

ARM is a lot more user friendly now than when it was when the Pandora came out though, with smartphone hacking and the Raspberry Pi and such.

10. rygD

rygD Nihilistic Mystic

It might still take a bit to get things installed on the Pyra, I don't know since I don't have one (yet).

I want to try a variety of OSs on it, but that ask depends on how easy it is to get things running on it. I can think of 5, not including distros and such, one being the one this thread is about.

Is Sailfish considered a distro, or is it its own thing?

11. Magic Sam

Magic Sam Forever Homebrew

Hi all :)

I'm using Sailfish OS 2.2.0.29 (Mouhijoki) on my brand new (errhh, actually two years old) Sony Xperia X, and it's quite nice !

https://jolla.com/sailfishx/

Cheers, Magic Sam

12. klapse

klapse Central Scrutinizer