Savage Xr For Pandora?

rohezal

Advanced Member
Savage-XR_1.jpg

Savage-XR_2.jpg

Savage-XR_5.jpg

Its quite open source and the newest version got bots (but no AI Commander). Samurai wars is great fun too. Maybe if you bug them enough (or give them some pandoras^^) they will port it for the pandora: www.newerth.com

Would love to play it in train or maybe play a future single player mod :) .

"Savage is FREEWARE"

Yeah, I see a Windows and a Linux executable, but no source, and no mention of an open source license anywhere.
We could use a citation riiiight here.

trats20050 said:
WOW! I just downloaded the trailer and that game looks pretty amazing.

Savage: The Battle For Newerth is freeware, and the source code along with everything else from audio files to graphics has been released by S2Games to www.Newerth.com, a community of fans which took further enhancement and development in their own hands. Since 2007 we're working on it and we're very close to releasing a complete overhaul of the original game, Savage XR. Free, of course, with free online play, and at least 3-4 total conversions like Samurai Wars, Tombstone, and mods like Extreme Savage and probably soon a DotA-like mod. There are Windows and Linux versions being maintained and will soon have an updated Mac version too.

Last edited by a moderator:
This really looks nice - I hope there is some thought given to porting it to Pandora, as it would be a killer app, indeed ..

They banned me from the forum because I told them about this thread, the pandora and because I asked them to port for the pandora... Because they thought I want to sell pandoras (lol selling a pandora... good joke :p).

I hope I can get unbanned soon. But its realy open source to Django and the community. And its pure C and can use OpenGL Graphics. With a Open GL ES wrapper there shouldn't be a problem.

I used to play savage back in the days and really enjoyed it. A pandora-port of SavageXR would be really kickass.

I'd play savage2 now, if I had a capable pc. Damn, if YOUR pc isn't like 10 years old, grab yourself a free copy, play it and if you like it, donate some money. They well deserve it! S3games are some of the nicest game-publishers in the world and seem to struggle a little on missing advertising.

Downloading Savage 2 to my i7 iMac :D

Wowser, I'd forgotten all about this game until yesterday when I was looking into Hereos of Newerth, watched a vid and said "That looks like Savage!"

And now it crops up here?

Obviously I was meant to play it! Too bad I'm working. D'oh.

And $9.99 one off fee for a premium account? Are they insane? Wow.

Savage 2 is nothing compared to his predecessor. In no respect except maybe the updated graphics. Savage 1 even has a higher player retention than Savage 2, even being many years older.

Savage is a very unique game, If anyone has any questions give me a shout, I've played for over 4 years. There used to be great organized competition, there are several teams left in Europe (White Wolves FTW) that play matches weekly. All the US clans have died out as the game is in serious need of new players. Even with all that the servers still fill up every night for some good public games. As far as Running it on a pandora... Maybe the original Code from the first release would run on such limited hardware, but XR (the current community made version) requires way more hardware than it should and is in need of serious optimization. For instance I have an intel quad core q9650 clocked at over 3 ghz, and an ATI 4850 also overclocked and I dip down past 60 FPS when there is a big map and maybe 30 people fighting in one area. Its basically unplayable on my 1.8 GHZ Imac G4 (though the original code was fine) It also pretty much needs online. but I'd love to see it attempted!

I'd also love to see some of you guys download it and try it out, just connect to the US or EU server with the most people, ask around for help, people are generally nice. Or PM me and I'll show you around. Newerth.com

You can use the "lowest" settings on XR to speed it up. And maybe you can use lower polygon models / low resulotion textures on a small screen und run it at 800x480 (or when it lags at 400x240).

I'm playing Savage 2 since FCP 2 and I'm a modder (modeller) of it. I have talked with a Savage XR Modder (Models) and know some people at S2 Games (Game Company that created Savage and Savage 2). The made Heroes of Newerth too. They use very portable code and have skillful coders (well they have learnung good optimizing since HoN but hey, they ported at least the network code back to Savage2). I think they can do a pandora port... we just have to beg enough ;) .

Savage 1 Requirements (textures are stored in RAM in think so low res textures can realy made it useable on pandora):
Minimum System Requirements:
Windows® 98, ME, 2000, XP or Linux
Controls: Mouse and Keyboard
CPU: 600 MHz processor
Memory: 128 MB RAM
Drives: 4x CD-ROM and 600 MB Hard Drive space for installation
Video: GeForce or Radeon series graphics cards
Online Connection: 56k modem

Recommended System Requirements:
Controls: 3 button mouse with a scroll wheel
CPU: 1000 MHz CPU or better (subject to change)
Memory: 256 MB RAM
Video: GeForce4 or better (or OpenGL compatible Video Adapter card with 64 MB RAM)
Online Connection: Broadband (Cable Modem, DSL, or better)

Chip said:
Only the original Savage has been released as open source. Savage 2 and Savage XR are free, but still closed source.

Not quite right. Savage 2 is closed source. Savage XR is "semi" open source. The community programmer has written the the XR source but dont release it to everyone (one reason is cheating). But they are a part of the savage xr community and have no commercial interrests. So the source is portable and avaible (to Savage XR community coders). So it can be ported (if someone asked the team nicely: http://www.newerth.com/?id=about)

Mohican seems to be a good contact point. Like I said: The source is avaible to the community coders. You just have to ask them for a port.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm a beta tester and could probably obtain the source, for someone they dont know by name though you may have to be verry high up on the pandora ladder and have credentials to show.

Hey they unbanned me (thx @ Daemon :) )

Maybe if some more people could ask nicely about a port in the forum, they maybe will do it (lower textures and polygons and player count). But its a small dev so just be nice :)

http://www.newerth.com/smf/index.php/topic,9710.0.html

PS: Djangho doesnt seem to read his emails :/

If savage1 would be an easier port, I'd take it as well ;)

Back