Save The Internet

Jarska333 posted on Apr 30 2006 at 11:46 AM said:
Well, they have a lot of the backbone, or could you say brains, of the architecture, or so I hear. They don't own it, but they have a theoretical control over it, and this control they may end up using after all these years.

Wars will not be fought for patches of land, nor gold or inventions, but the control of the Internet. :p
Well have you ever thought a lot of sites may not be on American Servers? GP32x for example I believe is hosted in Poland. Or the site is Polish anyway, as is Hando, but I'm pretty sure its not a US based server. The GP's will survive!

Last edited by a moderator:
The great thing about the internet - why it's so successful - is that it isn't owned by anybody. You're pretty much free to say and do what you like, provided it's not illegal in your country (or nobody finds out).

"The internet is an extension of free speech." - Some guy.

Jarska333 posted on Apr 30 2006 at 12:46 PM said:
Well, they have a lot of the backbone, or could you say brains, of the architecture, or so I hear. They don't own it, but they have a theoretical control over it, and this control they may end up using after all these years.
no, when I go to gp32x.de I dont even use one of americas backbones.

There's something american posters often say in few forums I happen to visit, that they could shut down the Internet, if they wished... Or something to that effect. Not they, personally. But like, "we went to the Moon!" :p

American company controls the url adresses, what do you call them, the 13123.46746.5243.353.34535-type adresses... Distribution or some such. Damn hard to find any info on this, though... :unsure:

Jarska333 posted on May 1 2006 at 02:32 PM said:
There's something american posters often say in few forums I happen to visit, that they could shut down the Internet, if they wished... Or something to that effect. Not they, personally. But like, "we went to the Moon!" :p

American company controls the url adresses, what do you call them, the 13123.46746.5243.353.34535-type adresses... Distribution or some such. Damn hard to find any info on this, though... :unsure:
you mean dns servers, every isp has several of them.

btw. I think you mean ip adresses, those arent in that format they are 0-256.0-256.0-256.0-256

sam fisher posted on May 1 2006 at 02:49 PM said:
IP adresses. I believe your ISP assigns those and run the DNS's for them so no I dont think america can shut down the internet.
thats what i said...

sam fisher posted on May 1 2006 at 01:56 PM said:
Sorry, I actually started posting before you but the forusm taking about a minute a page to load for me. In that case you could have started posting before me :p
Oh noes! It's happening! The Americans are stealing our internets!

It just burns me up inside to hear of such active censorship (filtering the content private citizens have legal access to). These are the step stones towards a Wii. Viva la Wii!

- Alex

Haven't about 83% of voters in the USA voted against this?
Apparently it wasn't decided by them but by five people in a room somewhere.
CLZ6z6S.jpg

Last edited:
Well It's off topic, so I don't really care, but really this thread is almost 12 year old @Klumpen ....

And the new FCC ruling makes it a current issue, TrashyMG.
It's still gravedigging a very old thread. And the prior content isn't really following the current events as it's almost 12 years out of date. Would have been better starting a new thread.

I think it's interestingly relevant to see how politically relevant a 12 year old thread is today.
But as a forum post, I agree, kind of irrelevant and should've been a new one :p

I think I've seen this topic crop up on a couple of threads now. I might be more willing to comment if it weren't off-topic or gravedigging, but unfortunately I've not yet been able to see where else I saw it so I can't help mods collate the comments into a new thread, if that were even deemed necessary.

Edit: Ah it was jebe's comment in the GPD Win 2 thread. https://pyra-handheld.com/boards/threads/gpd-win-2.81854/page-6#post-1427551

Back