Scummvm 1.0.0

sbock

Chaos is our mode and modus
Some old news here, but nevertheless:

The ScummVM Team released the major version 1.0.0 of the adventure game interpreter ScummVM. This includes the Wiz version maintained by DJWillis.

scummvm_logo.jpg

New in version 1.0.0:

General:
- Fixed several bugs in GUI.
- Updated the project logo and icons.

AGI:
- Fixed crash on game exit.
- Fixed crash at detection of some games.

AGOS:
- Fixed load/save code for PC version of Waxworks.
- Fixed undo in Puzzle Pack games.

Broken Sword 1:
- Fixed missing background sound effects in some rooms.

CinE:
- Fixed crashes with Future Wars and Operation Stealth demos.

Cruise:
- Fix freeze on game pause.

Gob:
- Fixed gfx glitch in Lost in Time.
- Fixed hotspot-related regressions in Gob2.
- Fixed several regressions in Gob3.
- Fixed crash in Bargon Attack intro.
- Fixed animations in Win3.1 version of Gob3.

Groovie:
- Fixed menu blanking in some instances.

Kyra:
- Fix possible corruption of restart game save in Kyrandia 1.
- Fix GFX glitch at the broken bridge.
- Fix for brandon tunring invisible in some situations in Kyrandia 1.

MADE:
- Fixed several crashes in Return to Zork demo.

Parallaction:
- Fixed several regressions in Nippon Safes.
- Fixed music in sushi bar in Nippon Safes.

SCUMM:
- Fixed crash on Macintosh versions of Putt-Putt Joins the Parade and Fatty
Bear's Birthday Surprise.
- Fixed game save in Macintosh versions of HE games.
- Fixed default save game path in later HE games.
- Fixed palette in NES version of Maniac Mansion.
- Fixed palette in Amiga version of Secret of Monkey Island.
- Fixed cutscenes not stopping music after pressing ESC in DIG.
- Fixed lip-sync in Fatty Bear.
- Fixed crash in FT when entering inventory.

Tinsel:
- Fixed crash in palace.
- Fixed crash when talking to the old lady.
- Fixed partially off-screen text in DW1.

Some major features of the 1.0.0 release:

Added support for Discworld
Added support for Discworld 2 - Missing Presumed ...!?
Added support for Return to Zork
Added support for Leather Goddesses of Phobos 2
Added support for The Manhole
Added support for Rodney's Funscreen
Added support for Cruise for a Corpse
Broken Sword 1 & 2 now run with original cutscenes
Increased The 7th Guest microscope puzzle difficulty to match original
New port for GP2X Wiz handheld game console.

Some infos about the Wiz port from DJWillis:

This is just a quick post is to announce the 1.0.0 releases of the ScummVM for both the GP2X and the GP2X Wiz following on from the official announcement.

Please provide feedback on these releases and enjoy using them, this is a huge milestone for the ScummVM project and we are all very proud of this release.

New features since the 1.0.0 RC1 for my backends:

Below are the main features and fixes added with this new release from the earlier RC1 release.

Both releases feature additional ARM assembly optimised routines and tweaks to the build system along with a myriad of small ‘nips and tucks’.

There are also further tweaks to refine the use of the “Return to Launcher” and “Global Main Menu” features (remember that Left Trigger and Select/Home/Menu will bring up the Global Main Menu in any game).

This is in addition to the hundreds (litterally) of bug fixes that have gone into the core and game engines for this release from the ScummVM development team.

Supported engines:

Both releases feature support for all the game engines that are due to be included with the 1.0.0 release.

This includes support for high resolution games.

Specific restrictions:

Each of the releases has a small number of restrictions that have an affect on the games/engines you are able to use with each platform.

GP2X: The biggest restriction with this platform is the overhead of the scaling when using 640*480 games on the 320*240 screen making such game perform poorly.

GP2X Wiz: The downscaling support is a recently added feature to the Wiz backend and as such some issues still remain with high resolution games exhibiting ‘tearing’ when updating the screen under some circumstances. Unfortunately this seems to be an exhibit of the Wiz screen tearing bug and while efforts have been taken to minimise it in this release it the problem has not totally gone away.

Source: here.

Thanks John! :)

Download: Archive.
ScummVM Homepage: here.

Awesome. Still waiting for my wiz to arrive. Can't wait to try out scummvm

ScummVM is running really well on my Wiz, I've tried lots of different games. The only one I'm having problems with still is Cruise for a Corpse. Just can't get it to start up at all, it just crashes my WIZ, and I've tried a couple of versions. Is anyone else having this problem?

I haven´t tried Cruise for a Corpse (maybe tonight) but you always can play the Amiga version. :)

Been playing through The Dig, runs very nicely and even the speech is very clear :)

I do hope the downscaled games get properly fixed at some point, Curse of Monkey Island works very well except the nasty sprite shearing...

Thanks DJWillis and the ScummVM Team :)

I just dug out my Broken Sword 1 CD and ripped the relevent files and downloaded the cutscenes pack from the ScummVM downloads page, it all seems to be running fine apart from the cursor leaving a trail, is there anyway of fixing this? (Or is it the sprite shearing bug due to downscaling mentioned above?)
Excellent work on this one. :)
Cheers, Neil

This is fantastic. Has anyone else tried playing The 7th Guest on the Wiz yet? I played through the cake puzzle and so far it's been flawless with the exception of the first bit of music missing (all other music and voices work great though) and the cursor sometimes being a little weird. The controls themselves work great though, and the audio/video playback is incredibly good, just barely slow sometimes. I didn't think when the Wiz came out that it would be capable of running this game but so far it's proving me wrong! I'm just curious if there will be problems later on in the game, so...anyone?

I tried it on the beta version with limited success:

DurTahar said:
Neil L said:
I've managed to get The 7th Guest running on the Wiz.It's very slow though, the sound is a bit distorted and the mouse leaves a trail.See here for the files you need: http://wiki.scummvm.org/index.php/DatafilesI thought it wouldn't run at all.
woah really??? that's pretty impressive, i didn't think it would run at all either. i'm going to have to try this out, even though it doesn't sound very playable i'd still be interested to see what the wiz can do with it! going to have to remember to get my discs when i go home this weekend

I'll have to clear some space on my SD cards and give it another go.
Does the mouse still leave a trail as I mentioned above? (It still does in Broken Sword 1)

Cheers, Neil :)

Edit: I just put the game back on my Wiz, everythings a bit slow (even overclocked to 750!) everything else seems fine (apart from the distorted sound and the (highly annoying) mouse trail problem.
But at least it's running! :)
BTW, the can puzzle is after the cake one, then the telescope one. (That's as far as I've got!)
Cheers, Neil

Last edited by a moderator:
It does still leave a trail, but I didn't notice it much because normally when I clicked on things there were so many other things being redrawn that the mouse went away completely. As long as you're using the touchscreen you probably won't see the cursor enough for that to be much of a problem.

Also, I'm too lazy to look this up right now but is the spider puzzle only available after the cake one? It's been a long time and I thought the spider one was available right away and it wouldn't come up, but it could be that I'm remembering wrong.

I'm actually really impressed by how well the touch screen works in this game too. I thought that, for example, clicking the cake pieces would be very hit or miss, but I had absolutely no problem clicking on the right ones the first time. If anyone else tries this keep in mind that after the cake piece is selected and raised up, you have to wait a second or two before you can select the next one. At first I thought I was doing something wrong before I realized it was just slow.

i'm going to have to try this out, even though it doesn't sound very playable i'd still be interested to see what the wiz can do with it! going to have to remember to get my discs when i go home this weekend

On the contrary, I found it entirely playable (which was a bigger surprise to me than just having it RUN). The cutscenes worked great which surprised me, and everything's incredibly smooth. I just need to keep playing in order to see if there are any problems down the line, but up to the cake puzzle there are absolutely no problems that really interfere with enjoying the game. I'm going to try to get a video on youtube sometime soon, I've neglected my Wiz videos thanks to school but now that the semester's over I can finally do some more!

Neil L said:
I just dug out my Broken Sword 1 CD and ripped the relevent files and downloaded the cutscenes pack from the ScummVM downloads page, it all seems to be running fine apart from the cursor leaving a trail, is there anyway of fixing this? (Or is it the sprite shearing bug due to downscaling mentioned above?)
Excellent work on this one. :)
Cheers, Neil

Can it still work if you have say 6 parts to a game?

I haven't had chance to play it for long, but everything seems to run perfectly.
Apart from the mouse leaving a trail and occasionally a diagonal tear across the menu screens.
If you want to give it a go you will need these files from your Broken Sword CDs (Put all these files/folders and the extras folder into a folder named 'broken sword 1' (as an example):

*.clu (all the .clu files)
swordres.rif
MUSIC folder (Except 2M29.WAV in CD2)
SPEECH folder
Rename speech.clu on CD1 to speech1.clu
Rename speech.clu on CD2 to speech2.clu

and these files from here: http://www.scummvm.org/downloads/#extras (put all these into a folder named 'extras' (as an example) and configure the Broken Sword paths option to point at it)

Broken Sword 1 Cutscene Pack (English, DXA compression)
Broken Sword 1 Cutscene Pack (all languages, Subtitles AddOn)
Broken Sword 1 Cutscene Pack (English OGG AddOn)

Cheers, Neil :)

as in: Broken Sword 1 (part 1 of 3), Broken Sword 2 (part 2 of 3), and Broken Sword (part 3 of 3)

It seems that the mouse and/or sprite trail thing seems to be in a lot of games. I hope there will be a fix for that in future releases!

DurTahar said:
It seems that the mouse and/or sprite trail thing seems to be in a lot of games. I hope there will be a fix for that in future releases!

I think it's to do with the scaling on the games. I think the game screen has been scaled down to fit the Wiz screen, but the cursors haven't been scaled properly.
Because I've noticed on The 7th Guest the triangular cursor (on the menu screens) needs to be over the top rather than pointing at the required option (when not using the touchscreen) and sometimes it appears half size. (Is this the size it should be?)
Hopefully this will be fixed soon.
Cheers, Neil

I've not noticed cursors being the wrong size, but yes you do have to hit more in the center of the cursor instead of the top. This is why the touch screen is so beautiful to use in this game.

As it turns out the spider puzzle is after the cake one, and it worked beautifully. Now that I'm done writing an 8 page paper I have time to play more of it, so I'll let you guys know if I hit any problems in it, but so far it's played very well.

So far I've done these puzzles in this order:
Cake puzzle
Can puzzle
Telescope puzzle
Grate Puzzle
Crypt puzzle
Spider puzzle (I'm on this one now)

I've had no problems so far (apart from the one's I've already mentioned) and I've also got the CD audio music (for the introduction & end credits) to work with track1.ogg & track2.ogg
I used these instructions from the ScummVM wiki page: ( http://wiki.scummvm.org/index.php/The_7th_Guest )

Audio Tracks

Most versions of The 7th Guest have audio tracks on the CDs, and the first audio track on each CD is played at some point in the game. Following the normal ScummVM rules for copying games with audio tracks would give two audio tracks named "track1.xxx" (where "xxx" is "mp3", "ogg", or "flac"). To get around this problem, the first audio track from the first CD should be ripped as "track1.xxx", and the audio track from the second CD as "track2.xxx" (the second audio track on the first CD, if present, is blank and unused).

Cheers, Neil

I was under the impression that I had already ripped the CD audio but maybe I didn't (I've got it on two computers so maybe I had it ripped on one but copied the files to the Wiz from the other). Glad to hear there are no problems so far. I love the can puzzle, it's forever helped me in games of Scrabble.

Great work on this - and nice to see the wiz getting a bit of love for a change!

Just a minor point/bug... I prefer to play the older games (SOMI, S&M etc) in their original resolution, but if I switch off 'Aspect Ratio Correction', the menus mess up. The parts 'off screen' disappear, but I can get them back by wiping the cursor over them - Not game breaking but looks a bit messy!

Thanks again for sharing.

Back