Scummvm: Monkey Island 1 - Saving?

gene

Still Fresh
Hello to all GP32-Freaks!

For one week now I am a proud owner of a gp32 :D

The first thing I installed was Scummvm of course. :lol:

Now to my question: Is there a way I can save games in Monkey Island 1 ? With Monkey 2 and DOTT saving works perfectly (OK, naming is a bit fuzzy). As I read in some forum posts the problem lies in the more than 8 characters of the save-filename. I tried to fix the scummvm-executable with a HEX-editor (like I read in another posting), but it didn't work.

Does anybody know how I can save games in MI1? Or is there anywhere a scummvm-version without this error?

Thanks in advance

gene posted on Dec 2 2003 at 04:48 PM said:
I tried to fix the scummvm-executable with a HEX-editor (like I read in another posting), but it didn't work.

Does anybody know how I can save games in MI1? Or is there anywhere a scummvm-version without this error?

Thanks in advance
I got exactly the same probleme Gene :(

wishing somebody can help us :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Vimcas posted on Dec 2 2003 at 07:09 PM said:
i have patched the gpscumm fxe 2 save monkey island and simon
patched-gpscumm
Yeah, thanks for the patched version! It works for me as well, now I can save with Monkey Island 1 :lol:

This "patched" version is 0.3.1cvs (2002-12-04), which is the same version as the one I had before.

Phew, this version is now one year old! Would be great if somebody could create a newer version, it's just sooooo cewl to play all the LucasArts-Games from 2 AA batteries
:)
Does anybody know if it is possible to get a "clear" sound with scummvm? On my gp32 the sound is very noisy... Isn't it possible to create a scummvm-version which runs at higher clock speed?

Questions about questions... but I don't want to forget to thank those great people who are doing all the "work" and port all the emulators for gp! :wub:

DoberMann posted on Dec 2 2003 at 07:58 PM said:
I think a new version is allready been made. The sound bug will be fixed, so that you can play the 132mhz version.
Well, nice to hear this!

Do you know who "made" this new version and where to find more information about it (not to mention the release date ;) )

Vimcas posted on Dec 2 2003 at 07:09 PM said:
i have patched the gpscumm fxe 2 save monkey island and simon
patched-gpscumm
WOW :))) thanks Vimcas for the patched file :) it's excellent & it work for me too :)

gpScumm Is Getting Updated At the moment to include speech in a compressed format (mp3 or ogg) and the music aswell as all the new games that are being released at the moment. the only problem is getting the sound (mp3 or ogg) music(midi, mp3, ogg) and the game itself to run on the gp32. he is in private testing of it so people won't see it till it's ready for a public test

thanks for the patched gpscumm files, but on monkey 1 the L & R buttons don't seem to step through the actions like they normally do, is this normally a prob on MI1?

another question, I can clock up to 156Mhz on other emulators, but this one I can only use the 132 version, what clock does the normal fxe run at?

I tried to find info on ph0x's site http://people.inf.elte.hu/ph0x/gpscumm but it seems to be down...

Is anyone else playing monkey island 1 and finding this? it would make it easier what with the action buttons being so close together.....

frolik posted on Dec 4 2003 at 11:39 AM said:
Is anyone else playing monkey island 1 and finding this? it would make it easier what with the action buttons being so close together.....
I will check this this evening when I am at home.

Hi

I have just stumbled across this thread and wanted to fix the save problem in MI1, but that link to Vimcas's patched file is down. Does anyone know where I can download it?

®

hm, i think this must be a different project/port.

i tested it and it was very slow, even had some crashes.
my scummvm version (3c/5.jan03) is very stable and fast, monkey1 is running perfect, except the saving bug.

i would really like to know how to fix it. the prob seems to be, that the game id is 9 characters long (monkeyvga), but by changing it to 8 charas, the game isnt detected anymore....

so what to do?

Hi

Thanks for the link sebastian_insua, I downloaded this, and while it DOES seem to be very different, it saves fine! The 'mouse' pointer moves more slowly across the screen though so it was hard to grab the fish from the seagull in MI1!

Cheers...

®

yep thats what i thought the guy who has ported it seems to have ported a far more recent copy of scummVM, but should put some support to increase mouse sensitivity, games like maniac mansion are next to impossible because of the speed

however if he adds some support for changing the mouse sensitivity it will be much better....

its not buggy at all for me 0-bake in fact it is far less buggy than the first copy of GPScumm and seems to support more games as well

Back