Scummvm With Sam N Max

Cauterize

Still Fresh
Website
Visit site
Hey guys, just have a quick question,
got my Gp32 on Xmas morning (extremely happy, cheers gbax.com!)

anyways, been playing through Day of the Tentacle fine, no problems, but im finding ScummVM cant detect Sam N Max or Flight Of The Amazon Queen
Has anyone encountered this or know how to fix it?

Adam

firefly1201 posted on Dec 28 2004 at 10:15 AM said:
Have you tried making a folder called 'SAMNMAX' in 'SCUMMVM' then putting samnmax.sm0, samnmax.sm1 and monster.sou in it? It works on my GP32 BLU+

Just tried it, cant seem to work it either, what version of Scumm VM were you using?

Last edited by a moderator:
Cauterize posted on Dec 29 2004 at 12:32 AM said:
firefly1201 posted on Dec 28 2004 at 02:53 PM said:
using 0.5.1 alpha by ph0x/DJWillis.

Hmm i found that version to be too slow and unplayable....
"Flight Of The Amazon Queen" and "Sam 'n Max" are only supported on more recent versions of ScummVM.

The old version of ScummVM (0.3.1 CVS - I think?) by ph0x does not work with these 2 games (or for that matter "Beyond a Steel Sky").
While being faster than the more recent versions of "ScummVM for the GP32" it has much worse compatability and the mouse is too fast.

The new version of ScummVM 0.5.1 Alpha by DJWillis/Ph0x works with Sam 'n Max, however VERY slowly - I consider it to be unplayable.
I would recommend this version of ScummVM for most older games though (because of the better compatability - and for old games speed is not an issue.

Keep both versions on your GP32 and then use them both until the newer one is updated and the speed is increased.

Last edited by a moderator:
Funny, I can get sam and max working fine on V.3, but without music. However the speed is fine, and speech and sound effects work.

On V.5 (DJ Willis) all sound works but yeah the cursor is too slow. I was told by another member here that there is a hack to make the cursor work twice as fast, however, no one ever got back to me on how to do this. There are also 166mhz versions of V.5 floating around, but they do nothing to solve the slow cursor problem.

The only game that I've tried that ONLY works on V.5 was Loom (floppy version).

V.3 plays all these for me, just fine:

Day of the Tentacle
Sam and Max (again, with no music)
Monkey Island 1 & 2

now if someone would just share the secrets on how to a) get the cursor moving faster in V.5 (the source for this is available, though I'm no devver so it does no good to me... hopefully it can be hex edited?), and B) how to change the clock speed in V.3 (sound works great on the 166mhz version but locks up my BLU, 133mhz doesn' lock up but has crappy sound)... you'd have all the compatibility you need between the two with both being fully playable and with full sound on all games.

Back