Sd Card Issues And Need Recommendation Of Card Reader

lancelott

Okay. I've had bad experiences with Adata SD cards. I got a 2GB brand new off Ebay, used it for a month or two, then had insane errors of it randomly failing to write. I got in touch with Adata support, and they presumably replaced the card (or maybe reformatted it, I don't know). It worked for a while, but then under Linux I got these write fails due to a sector not being there. Now just recently after using about 697MB I got this message saying "Cannot find the sector requested".

Now, this naturally makes me very pissed. When I had run scandisk or defrag in the past it would make my SD card go to 1gb from 2gb. I don't know if this is only the "good" sectors, or if it just doesn't like my card.

Anyway, I think I'll buy an SD card. The 4GB 150x Adata cards look like a steal (aren't they like $90 on ZZF?).

But I want a good card reader to go with it. My current one doesn't like >1GB cards, and using the GP2X isn't really the best way, I've found. My OS is Windows XP Pro SP2 so compatibility shouldn't be much of an issue compared to Gentoo Linux which I was using in the past for quite a while...

Thanks.

yoyoyoyoyoyoyo posted on May 12 2006 at 08:43 PM said:
try quick formatting is in Fat-32
That did it in the past, but that lets me see the bad sectors shit.

This isn't an issue of formatting, the card itself is bad.

I need a new card reader that supports 4GB for the 4GB I'm gonna order.

Last edited by a moderator:
Heh . . . I just posted a similar topic here:
http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showtopic=28203

I don't have a problem with errors while formatting the card. Just when I remove it and insert it into the GP2X. All the files end up becoming corrupt. I'm guessing it has to do with the card reader I currently have. If someone could advise on some card readers that have worked for them, maybe I can pick up another one that will work for me.

The one I have, shows up as a SPRING card reader in Windows. So that one can be left off the compatibility list. <_<

lancelott posted on May 12 2006 at 11:53 PM said:
I need a new card reader that supports 4GB for the 4GB I'm gonna order.
Okay, whoa . . . stop the presses.

See, I didn't know that card readers have a limit on what size card they can handle. That would explain why the files become corrupt . . . the reader probably doesn't support a 2GB card.

Live and learn, I guess. But so many places that sell card readers, don't specify the limit the reader can handle.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back