SD card no longer detected

cubelindo

Still Fresh
Just after copying some files from the PC to my SDHC 32Gb card, the Pandora fails to detect it

Instead of SD/MMC card (as it was named before the icon that appears in the desktop) it is called giberish (_PNG ¬#x1a;" :)

If I try to open it a window says "Unable to open _PNG ¬#x1a;": Cannot get volume.fstype.alternative"

Searching this forum I read about mounting/unmounting sd cards, an also that it has to be sync. Well, I didn't know it before so I never did that.

I'd like to know if this can be solved (preferably without formatting). The card can be read in the PC so I guess formatting it solves the issue, but it took like 2 hours to copy all Mame roms!

Also, If somebody can direct me to the proper procedure to insert/remove these cards I'd very much appreciate.

If it can be read in a PC (I'm assuming Windows) run a chkdsk against it. Open up My Computer, right click on the drive, choose tools and then check for errors.

Lock switch is all the way up. I boght it at a store (MediaMark't) and checked with h2testw, it's a legit Sandisk Ultra 32Gb SDHC

Both command line chkdsk and check for errors via windows GUI find no problems

Reformat it using the SDFormatter from the SD Consortium (incl. Fix Size).

Be sure to backup your files before that.

Change the label in Windows. That's the only other idea that springs to mind immediately, that there has been some corruption of the label which Windows is able to plow through but Linux is choking on when it tries to mount the disk.

Know your way around the linux command line a little? On your Pandora, open a terminal and try

mount

-- looking for the device file for the mount point (something like /dev/mmcblk0p1)

sudo umount <that device file>

sudo fsck <that device file>

That's some serious filesystem corruption, looks like you managed to write a PNG-image to whereever it gets the volume name. That's a big achievement :p

Reformat it using the SDFormatter from the SD Consortium (incl. Fix Size).

Be sure to backup your files before that.

Worked like a charm. Even the PC seems to detect it faster.

What precautions shoud I take when removing the SD from the Pandora?

Looks like he copied a png file onto the DEVICE file rather than into the mounted filesystem.

Or maybe not, someone else just reported this problem on irc using the Mac file browser.  :/  weird

Last edited by a moderator:
I bet we have some dodgy system script with a bug that writes icons to device files :/

"oh no our system scripts are all written by linux pros and are totally bullet proof!" bawhahah yeah right

someone else just reported this problem on irc using the Mac file browser
That's me :D

But for me it's just like cubelindo said, it works again after formating the sd card.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back