Sd Card Problems

Rayen

Still Fresh
I just got my GP2X, and it looks great. It boots up fine, but for some reason no matter what I put on the SD card, the GP2X can't read (either through explorer, utilities, or any other menu option). I don't have a card reader, so I connected the GP2X to my computer via the USB cable. The card was empty, so I had to format and create partitions for it - I used disk management in Windows XP - with the settings Primary Partition, 965 Megs, Assigned to G:, Format to FAT32, Default Allocation Units, Volume Label SDCard.

It seems to work absolutely fine - I can move files onto the SD Card and all, but no matter what they just don't show up on the GP2X :(

I ordered from GBAX with the included 1GB Integral SD. People seem to be having success with it, so maybe i'm doing something wrong? Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

Yep.. I had exactly the same problem when formatting the SD card over USB
Seems to format ok, and save files from the PC, but none of them show up in GP2x. The only solution I found was to use a card reader to reformat the card.
Once it was formatted using that method, I could happily write to it using the USB link. I'm sure theres a technical reason someone has written up somewhere on
the forum as to why this is, doubtless a bug to be fixed in newer versions of the firmware maybe..

The only solution I found was to use a card reader to reformat the card.

Exactly right. It's rather annoying, but a cheap card reader won't set you back more than £5 and it's well worth it for the battery saving impications alone (the USB link drains a lot of power).

I'm having the exact same problem. Nothing was showing up in any of the viewers/players. But when I had over, say, 50MB of stuff it would see something in the explorer but the file names and extensions wouldn't make any sense at all, !j.#j, !k.#k and so on.

Now that I see what's worked for other people it sort of makes sense. When you format via the USB cable you're basically telling a Windows machine to tell a linux machine to format a partition. It seems kind of naive of me to expect perfect results in that situation.

Anyway, here's hoping that fixes it.

-- update --

Yep, that did it. Go get a card reader and format the SD card through it, I was able to find one for US$21.99.

Back