Sd Card Problems

fev

Still Fresh
Hi guys, i've just bought a new 2gb sd card but can't get the gp to see it. I know it needs formatting butu any ideas how to do it on a mac?

Cheers,
Phil

fev said:
Hi guys, i've just bought a new 2gb sd card but can't get the gp to see it. I know it needs formatting butu any ideas how to do it on a mac?
Cheers,
Phil

Haven't used one since the mac II but I believe the command would be, "mkfs.vfat /dev/<devicename", like an ipod.

Last edited by a moderator:
ok, now i've got real probs, I put a load of emus and game son the card and the gp was reading it fine (couldn't load some stuff but that's just me!). However, I've just put the card back in the card reader to check the files as they went "funny" whilst in the gp - file names went from ok to a load of tosh. Now the comp says the card isn't readable!

HELP!

cheers,
Fev

Thanks for the response Bruce, sorry if i seem useless here but....

Where is disk utility on the gp and how do i repair the disk?

Thanks guys,
Phil

Update:
Have formatted the card using a friends pc, now fat32 formatted.
Copied several games etc... to card and checked they were present, all good. Put card in gp, folders present but nothing in folders (wtf???). Back to computer, insert card..............

DISK INSERTION!!!!!!!
The disk you inserted was not readable by this computer.

update 2:...
Have repaired disk using disk utility but now it claims to only be a 976Mb card?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Please help me, this is doin my head in!

Cheers guys,
Phil

There might be bad sectors on the card that un-read/write-able. The repair disk step you did might have caused these sectors to be unused now. This will lower the space available but might also fix your problems.

Hos old is the SD card. It sounds like you got a dud.

Well, I don't think it will have done that...

It's possible it's partitioned, but I doubt it. Like linoleum said, it's probably a dud card, I'd get a replacement.

reckon you may be right, when first put in pc, came up as 976mb , took it out, reinserted and came up as 1.9Gb. Probably dodgy!
Will try to get it replaced.
Cheers guys

Back