Sd Card

anmisccali

Still Fresh
I've been looking at the list of what comes with a gp2x and I don't see on any of the packages that an SD card comes with it ... is that something you need to buy seperately? If so how do you know if you're buying the right kind ... Maybe it isn't listed because it is just included in the unit but I wasn't sure so thought I'd ask ... Thanks allot ...

You need to buy your own SD card. None comes with the unit. Most problems with incompatible SD cards was solved with firmware v2.0.0, so you should be able to buy any SD.

pkx posted on Dec 10 2006 at 07:54 AM said:
So all SD cards should work fine with firmware 2.0.0 and card reader?
I must be sure becouse i want to buy this card:
SD card 4gb

Yours isn't on the SD Compatibility List:

http://wiki.gp2x.org/wiki/SD_card_compatibility

It still will probably work, but no one has tested it yet. Make sure you report your findings if you do get this card, that will help others in the future.

If I were you I'd make sure the card could be easily returned if not compatible. Otherwise, I'd buy a known good card. I know the hardware situation in UK can be bad, but aren't there ever any special offers on locally available cards? That's how I got mine, that way I could return if not compatible.

Last edited by a moderator:
pkx posted on Dec 10 2006 at 12:54 PM said:
So all SD cards should work fine with firmware 2.0.0 and card reader?
I must be sure becouse i want to buy this card:
SD card 4gb

I'm pretty sure that one will be fine. I bought the non-branded 4gb card from 7dayshop and its been fine, but the one in your link is a little quicker.

Shikaku posted on Dec 10 2006 at 01:21 PM said:
Ugh, ignore that stupid table! It doesn't mean anything now, those problems are obsolete and if you have an SD card problem it's YOUR or the MANUFACTURER'S fault.

The chart refers to firmware version 2.1.1, and several cards have been tested with that version for read capability and firmware updates. What about the table is out of date?

I agree, a card problem would possibly be the manufacturer's fault. That's what he's trying to avoid by asking if anyone has any experience with the card.

Shikaku posted on Dec 10 2006 at 06:21 PM said:
Ugh, ignore that stupid table! It doesn't mean anything now, those problems are obsolete and if you have an SD card problem it's YOUR or the MANUFACTURER'S fault.

:D Shikaku, I respect your opinion and I know you will always speak your mind but i made sure that Sandisk 4 GB cards worked in the GP2X before i bought one but after buying i found that the version i bought was a SD HC card that is the new type of HIGH CAPACITY card that the GP2X can not yet read !!!!

I have a £69 postage stamp that wont even work in my digital camera !!! :rolleyes: It turns out that the "HC" cards dont work in alot of SD card devices.

Looking at the "Moby" card it looks like a standard SD card so should work in the GP2X, PKX, I would be wary about buying the Ebay one because if you look at the picture of it on Ebay it looks like the picture has been "Tampered" with. These are just my opinions, hope they help :D

Hi, i also have a question about SD Cards so i thought i should post it here.

I'm planning to order a GP2X hmmm, today (as i finally have the money) and i'd like to order a 4GB SD Card also.

I found interesting stuff around the web but i'd like to be quite sure it'll work with my GP2X.

First one here : very cheap, so cheap i'm afraid it hides something bad. What do you think ? I read that Rodeo had a problem with a Sandisk card, is it this one ?

Second one here : looks nice, not so expensive and i saw that brand in the compatibility table. But maybe the 150x version is different.

Third one here : same as above

Well, i'm done bothering you guys, if anyone has any information about the cards listed above or any advice about cheap, working 4GB SD cards, i'd be very thankful.

Bye.

saehn posted on Dec 11 2006 at 06:48 AM said:
Shikaku posted on Dec 10 2006 at 01:21 PM said:

The chart refers to firmware version 2.1.1, and several cards have been tested with that version for read capability and firmware updates. What about the table is out of date?
It's not out of date, but it is useless. All the chart shows is that a card will either fully work or it hasn't been tested. Apart from the 1gb sandisk which won't do a firmware upgrade with 2.0, but it will work with 2.1.1 which uses exactly the same uboot (and therefore the same upgrade code) as 2.0, which makes no sense at all.

Vimacs posted on Dec 14 2006 at 03:27 PM said:
as long as it is sd and not sd-hc it will work, as long as you don't buy a defective card.
Ok, but how do i know it is not sd-hc ? Are the ones above sd-hc ?

I think as long as it does not say SDHC on the card then you are good to go. Here is an example of an SDHC card and the logo that indicates it:

B000H5NMF8.01-AHF4SYKP09WBH._AA280_SCLZZZZZZZ_V40661532_.jpg

Ok :) Thanks a lot.

Maybe i'll give this Sandisk card a try ...

edit> hmm, actually, maybe i won't as i guess the transfer rates will be slow compared to a 150x card. Hmm i'm sooo noob about that stuff.

Back