Sd Cards.

Apple

Still Fresh
Website
elppa.mine.nu
I tried searching around, but the terms "8GB SD card" dont exactly bring all the best results. ;)

I was wondering if the GP2X had support past that of 4GB. Would anyone happen to know? (Looking to buy an 8GB card.)

I once saw an 8gb card on ebay, but they were trying to charge thousands of dollars for it.

edit: I see a UK seller has one for 69.95 pounds (search for 8gb sd).

I once saw an 8gb card on ebay, but they were trying to charge thousands of dollars for it.

edit: I see a UK seller has one for 69.95 pounds (search for 8gb sd).

Yeah, theres one on newegg for about that price. I'm just wanting to know if the GP2X has support past that of 4GB, or if the card has to be in some special format. (Not talking filesystems)

Last edited by a moderator:
If it didnt work, would it be possible to have a nice slim SD 2.0 reader through the EXT port?

They work... but i've no idea if they work correctly.

We could not get anything to recognise the 8GB card (card readers etc) apart from the GP2X... and then all that was possible was to copy stuff over from NAND to the card which did work.

It's possible the GP2X will stop at some point using this method as it cannot get the card size correctly, maybe 2gb, 4gb etc. it also might crash or not read files after a certain point. Not enough has been done to test it.

Eventually the GP2X will correctly support them, it is only a software issue.

It's on the list to be investigated further :)

They work... but i've no idea if they work correctly.

We could not get anything to recognise the 8GB card (card readers etc) apart from the GP2X... and then all that was possible was to copy stuff over from NAND to the card which did work.

It's possible the GP2X will stop at some point using this method as it cannot get the card size correctly, maybe 2gb, 4gb etc. it also might crash or not read files after a certain point. Not enough has been done to test it.

Eventually the GP2X will correctly support them, it is only a software issue.

It's on the list to be investigated further :)

Ah. Alright. I might wait to get an 8GB card then. If I end up getting one, I'm sure I could help figure out its problems.

Either way, is there any plan to add support for it soon? Or will this be added whenever 8GB cards become more easily obtainable?

Last edited by a moderator:
SDHC will certainly not work properly, as the current firmware doesn't support them. However, due to the very limited error detection in the kernel, it may not actual say that and try to write anyway. I've read that any host device has to state whether or not they are "SDHC" compatible via a strict init sequence, so it might be that the card works in reduced functionality mode on the gp2x. At the moment, I'd say the behaviour is undefined until someone finds out otherwise.

BTW, when writing/reading from SDLC cards you always use a physical address. On SDHC, you always use blocks, so that is something very different. The CSD has also changed to make way for a bigger CSIZE - you could only get 4GB via crude hacks.

(Anyone want to send me an 8GB card? ;) )

Back