SD Cards?

woot has nothing to do with quality of product, btw i came here just to post the woot deal myself, but i see couple people beat me to the punch, i dont see too many reviews on the cards, and the ones i do see are like 2/5, and its funny that every centon 16gb i find costs more than any 32gb i find....weird, so dont expect wonders with the cards, but the price is very tempting and hard to pass by...
True true, but woot is a trustworthy place to order from so they would probably except returns. I was only guessing that they would try products out before they buy them. They used to post videos on everything they sold back in their early days but not so much anymore.

I've just got my 32 GB SDHC class 4, two of them.

And I bought them from www.cdon.com for 76.2 $, pretty descent if you ask me :)

btw, anyone buying these off woot can get $5 off using coupon codes OFIDIOCY or SIXYEARS, they do not stack

woot has nothing to do with quality of product, btw i came here just to post the woot deal myself, but i see couple people beat me to the punch, i dont see too many reviews on the cards, and the ones i do see are like 2/5, and its funny that every centon 16gb i find costs more than any 32gb i find....weird, so dont expect wonders with the cards, but the price is very tempting and hard to pass by...
True true, but woot is a trustworthy place to order from so they would probably except returns. I was only guessing that they would try products out before they buy them. They used to post videos on everything they sold back in their early days but not so much anymore.
any returns ive had to do with woot, i had to go through the company that made said item, sometimes getting great results, like say when my vornado fan i bought of woot only "sorta" worked(good enough, but not as it should) woot told me to hit up vornado, and they sent me another new one free of charge and told me to cut off the cord from the other one and throw it away, so now i have a good one, and one that still works better than anything youll find at walmart, Vornado fans > *

any returns ive had to do with woot, i had to go through the company that made said item, sometimes getting great results, like say when my vornado fan i bought of woot only "sorta" worked(good enough, but not as it should) woot told me to hit up vornado, and they sent me another new one free of charge and told me to cut off the cord from the other one and throw it away, so now i have a good one, and one that still works better than anything youll find at walmart, Vornado fans > *
Yeah, cutting the cord and trashing it I just could not do even if it was defective, wasteful. I'd fix it before I did that. I weigh being environmentally friendly above honesty in this case. Trash it? Geeze, what were they thinking?

Are these some of the cards that are able to be used with the Pandora and what would be the best format for them if they are, because I've read that even though you can format them as Fat32 there is something about a slow down in seeking speed. But for $125 I'd definitely be buying some that is the lowest I've seen them yet and I can easily fill one up just with PSX games I think I have about 90 which still working on ripping them and so far am at 50 GB :blink: mainly because of my Final Fantasy collection. :D
Yes, I have one of those Sandisk 64GB cards, works fine.

I thought only the 32GB SDHC cards would work? So could you load two of the 64GB SDXC cards for a total of 128GB in the Pandora? Hmm... tempting.

Did a bit of quick research and it seems that the electronic interface is the same, it's mainly just a software/driver difference. Additionally I saw this little tidbit;

"SDHC hosts will only support the SDXC cards which use UHS104 speeds;[36] SDHC hosts will not recognize the SDXC cards which use the faster (SD 4.0), final specification of SDXC."

So I guess it depends on the speed spec that the cards are using. If they're UHS104 they should work fine. (With one person confirming that they do work, there's no reason that it would have an issue with 2 cards as well. That is unless someone can tell me if there's an OS limitation on the Pandora that it can't handle 128GB of storage (but I doubt that).

Last edited by a moderator:
"SDHC hosts will only support the SDXC cards which use UHS104 speeds;[36] SDHC hosts will not recognize the SDXC cards which use the faster (SD 4.0), final specification of SDXC."
The final SD4.0 spec shows a new line of pins. If it just used the same old pins as SD and SDHC (and SD3.0) then the Pandora could have theoretically been software upgraded to support the new SD4.0 spec. With the new pins that becomes pretty much an impossibility now.

The final SD4.0 spec shows a new line of pins. If it just used the same old pins as SD and SDHC (and SD3.0) then the Pandora could have theoretically been software upgraded to support the new SD4.0 spec. With the new pins that becomes pretty much an impossibility now.

It looks like the SanDisk cards use the old UHS104 spec (thankfully). And I suppose we have something else to look forward to for the eventual Pandora2. :)

It looks like the SanDisk cards use the old UHS104 spec (thankfully). And I suppose we have something else to look forward to for the eventual Pandora2. :)
The SanDisk 64GB cards use the 2.0 spec (24MB/sec). The Pandora can't go any faster than that, so buying UHS cards is a waste of money.

BTW the SD card association claims that the new 4.0 specification (UHS-II) is "fully backwards compatible".

http://www.sdcard.org/home/SD_Association_Announces_UHS-II_eBOOK_Jan_5_2011_ENGLISH.PDF

Well I have a Pandora on the way, but I already have one of these formatted in FAT32 with Gpartted, that I'm gonna combine with one of numerous 32GB cards I have, so I'll let you guys know how it works out when my Pandora arrives...

Yeah, cutting the cord and trashing it I just could not do even if it was defective, wasteful. I'd fix it before I did that. I weigh being environmentally friendly above honesty in this case. Trash it? Geeze, what were they thinking?
it doesnt even really require a fix, as said it works better than most the crap you find in stores, and it even works better now than it did when i first got it, when i got it, it would barely spin up in first gear, now it does w/o a problem after using it for a while, and i still use them both very often, so what came to be a great deal on one of them, i got two of them for an even better deal, i dont exactly promote doing this with companies to get free stuff, but it really was damaged, and they customer support was outstanding and i will promote the vornado fan any chance i get, not just because of the CS, but its one hell of a fan

I just got a Transcend 64GB which works fine with the Pandora. I tried to format it on my desktop initially (through an SDHC adapter), but it would only do it as 32GB. Then I remembered we've got Gparted on the Pandora (thanks Sebt3); that did it no problem :)

I just got a Transcend 64GB which works fine with the Pandora. I tried to format it on my desktop initially (through an SDHC adapter), but it would only do it as 32GB. Then I remembered we've got Gparted on the Pandora (thanks Sebt3); that did it no problem :)
Oh, Gparted is on the Pandora? I was going to try to get it working but now I don't have to worry about it! With Gparted I think everyone should be using it rather than formatting on their PCs. If the media, err, extras pack?, the one with NTFS in it, if that is installed can Gparted format to NTFS?

Oh, Gparted is on the Pandora? I was going to try to get it working but now I don't have to worry about it! With Gparted I think everyone should be using it rather than formatting on their PCs. If the media, err, extras pack?, the one with NTFS in it, if that is installed can Gparted format to NTFS?
I didn't try it, but I'm pretty sure the option was there so I would think so.

Back