SD Cards?

There's another thread on this, just a few down from this one, on the first page of this section (at the time of writing). You might want to have a look in there. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Supposedly they're on par with Sandisk, I've never used them myself though. I use mostly sandisk or kingston. Part of me wants to say that aside from the read/write speeds they're probably mostly all about the same as most of these come out of the same factories and just have different labels on them.

Finished reading the thread below about booting from SD, good info there. They say transcends are little slower but cheap. I'd rather pay 60 bucks for 32gb than $80 for 16gb and a little speed.

Finished reading the thread below about booting from SD, good info there. They say transcends are little slower but cheap. I'd rather pay 60 bucks for 32gb than $80 for 16gb and a little speed.
on a diffrent but simular subject.. anyone have an image of a populated SD card? Just the PND files so when people get their new pandys they don't have to reinvent the wheel.... I know sometimes that is a great deal of the fun... Just A question.

Les

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey guys, since the Pandoras are shipping like wildfire, I figure I should start loading up my SD card. I've looked around but I cant remember where SD compatibility is. How does this one sound?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B003VNKNF0/ref=mp_s_a_1?qid=1295043500&sr=8-1
i have a 16 gig transcend.it works alright.But it had difficulty when reflashing the pandora(it happens)The boot from sd card option disappeared after 2 or 3 reflashes.Had to get a different card to reflash.I remember someone else had this problem too.Dunno if its just the card or some weird software thing though.I went with a 32 gig sandisk since.

I remember a little while ago somebody said the pandora supports SDXC cards, I can't remember the thread though.
It supports the SDXC cards which follow the SD3.0 spec, but will not support the SDXC cards which follow the SD4.0 spec out of the box, though it may be possible with a firmware upgrade. The problem, I believe, is that there's no way to tell from the packaging whether a card labeled SDXC is SD3.0 or SD4.0.

It supports the SDXC cards which follow the SD3.0 spec, but will not support the SDXC cards which follow the SD4.0 spec out of the box, though it may be possible with a firmware upgrade. The problem, I believe, is that there's no way to tell from the packaging whether a card labeled SDXC is SD3.0 or SD4.0.

I thought the 4.0 spec changes required a change in hardware as well, but to be fair I haven't looked into it all that much.

On the subject of SD card brands, I went with Patriot for my Pandora. It's been a reliable brand in my experience, but they do tend to be pretty pricey. Very fast cards, though. I got a pair of 16GB LX class tens. They were on sale on Amazon or Newegg a while ago. They get a good 15-20MB/s write speed with the tests I run on 'em. It bursts at ~20, by the way. It's not stable at that speed. That'd be crazy. :p

I thought the 4.0 spec changes required a change in hardware as well, but to be fair I haven't looked into it all that much.
To take full advantage of the speed, it requires different hardware, otherwise the signals are just different, and the signals are just software, which can be changed.

The concern is that SD4.0 cards might not work if they aren't run at SD4.0 speeds. Not quite sure how they'd do that, but it would be problematic at least.

On Transcend and class speeds I have a few 16GB Class 6 Transcend cards and recently got a 32GB Class 10 Transcend card and they have the exact same read/write speeds, just below 30 megs a second. I'm planning on ordering another 32GB class 10 Transcend card when my Pandora ships and I'll see if it is any different but as far a Transcend goes higher class doesn't matter that much. I think my limitations might be USB though, on HDD I get around 30 megs a second with USB, around 40 for firewire, and 60 with SATA. I wish I could get a SD card reader that is through eSATA to see if I can get faster speeds but oh well.

On Transcend and class speeds I have a few 16GB Class 6 Transcend cards and recently got a 32GB Class 10 Transcend card and they have the exact same read/write speeds, just below 30 megs a second. I'm planning on ordering another 32GB class 10 Transcend card when my Pandora ships and I'll see if it is any different but as far a Transcend goes higher class doesn't matter that much. I think my limitations might be USB though, on HDD I get around 30 megs a second with USB, around 40 for firewire, and 60 with SATA. I wish I could get a SD card reader that is through eSATA to see if I can get faster speeds but oh well.

I remember somebody said that Pandora can't read/write faster than 16 MB/sec. And so it would be pointless to buy expensive 30MB/sec card. Is that true?

Please excuse me if this is somewhat off-topic. I've been following the thread concerning running the OS from an SD Card. I think this is a grand idea and I intend to do just that. I've never worked with SD Cards before and am more of an artist than a techy... so got rather confused when trying to shop around for SD cards for my future Pandora. I eventually decided buying 2 x 32gb Cards from the OP Team was the safest bet.

I however completely failed to inquire as to what class cards they sell before I purchased them. I've emailed Jacquelyn but have received no response yet.

Any chance one of you know what class they might be and if they're fast enough to run the OS optimally?

I remember somebody said that Pandora can't read/write faster than 16 MB/sec. And so it would be pointless to buy expensive 30MB/sec card. Is that true?
Basically yeah, but the 30MB/sec card might have other desirable qualities one is after (IOPS, reliability, whatever). Also, one might be after maxing out the write speed (=> you will propably need to get a card that can read faster than 16MB/sec). My Kingston cards for example read 16MB/sec on the pandora, but write at about 11MB/sec (dd speeds).

Good man. Probably the same 32gb that I'm looking at.

To take full advantage of the speed, it requires different hardware, otherwise the signals are just different, and the signals are just software, which can be changed.

The concern is that SD4.0 cards might not work if they aren't run at SD4.0 speeds. Not quite sure how they'd do that, but it would be problematic at least.
Supposedly there are additional pins.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-30685_3-20027455-264.html

Well Fuuuuu---

That's a new turn of events that I certainly wasn't expecting. If that's the case, and those pins are actually necessary to make use of the card, we're screwed.

On the other hand, they're not to become available until 2012, by which time SD3.0 cards of larger sizes should be fairly prevalent. We've already got 64GB cards, and I believe I've seen something about 128GB cards. Possibly we might even hit 256GB before SD4.0 cards are out, at which point OPT might start looking into a Pandora 2 with the additional contacts, and I will have to eat a hat.

cant let him get away that easy, i vote for one of craigs winter "hats"

Well Fuuuuu---

That's a new turn of events that I certainly wasn't expecting. If that's the case, and those pins are actually necessary to make use of the card, we're screwed.

On the other hand, they're not to become available until 2012, by which time SD3.0 cards of larger sizes should be fairly prevalent. We've already got 64GB cards, and I believe I've seen something about 128GB cards. Possibly we might even hit 256GB before SD4.0 cards are out, at which point OPT might start looking into a Pandora 2 with the additional contacts, and I will have to eat a hat.

Lexar announced 128GB cards

http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/03/lexar-media-reveals-64gb-and-128gb-class-10-sdxc-cards/

These have the standard interface (20MB/sec) so should be compatible with the Pandora. Of course, it will probably be another year before they're priced affordably.

Back