Sean Moss-pultz Talks About Openmoko

b._.o._.b

Very interesting talk from the Openmoko CEO Sean Moss-Pultz. His honest remark that he is still using a blackberry because his Freerunner is not reliable enough to use as a daily phone, is a great example of an open company being open.

CODE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UFuwhPXYxxI

I see a lot of similarities between the OpenMoko/Freerunner project and Pandora. Both open devices, both building something new from scratch, both having/had huge problems with delays. Openmoko needs to cut in costs because of less sales. They have laid off some people and continue as a smaller company trying to launch a new product called -project B-.
Ive sold my Freerunner, but Im still hoping they will make it and I hope -project B- will be something I will be interested in.

Hopefully Pandora will be more successful in bringing a great consumer product from day one. To be hones though, the issues surrounding the countless Pandora delays has made me a bit more sceptical.

Steve Mosher, Marketing VP for Openmoko, discusses the company s revised focus and the path forward for 2009.

CODE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_d8Tsvj2TdQ

'craigix' said:
What's their secret project? A netbook using ARM maybe?
Not sure... what he is holding in the video looks like a small tablet pc. Maybe it is partly made of parts they already have on hand for Freerunners. I guess they want to create some buzz before revealing what it will become.

They want to launch it this year in August.

Last edited by a moderator:
GTA03 is supposed to be an Internet tablet using ARM and delivering low-power browsing capabilities - with optional cell phone (3G/etc.) capabilities.

IMHO, OpenMoko has been screwed from the beginning (looking at my dusty gta01 and gta02 right now, in fact) because of ridiculous management by none-other than Sean Moss-Pultz himself. If there were actually a Linux distribution manager who really did manage the project and not let all the ego's go wandering around the universe (grrr, raster, grrr hwelte, grrr...) dictacting ridiculous NIH-based dogma that ruined the scene, things would be different. How many different Linux distro's can you run on a GTA03 (freerunner) right now? About 12. How many actually work as a phone: about 2, almost. And for the ones that you can use as a phone, almost nobody in the FR community has them, so for 3rd-party development its an utter nightmare to try to consider your customers. There are no customers for 3rd-party development on Freerunner - there are only customers for brand new, from-scratch complete Linux distributions. The only developers making any kind of headway with the Freerunner platform are *selling Freerunners directly as part of their package*. You simply cannot, reliably and without massive expense, target the Freerunner platform right now as a developer, and expect your users to keep up with whats going on.

It is very, very important for Linux-based devices to have a benevolent dictatorship behind the scenes that governs the public releases of the distribution, and this distribution has to be *standardized* in such a way that anyone can use it - not just those brave enough to flash u-boot ..

Please guys, let us TRY hard not to suffer the same FORK-happy spluge-fest that OpenMoko went through .. we developers have to insist that there be an 'official' base platform distribution shipped on all Pandora's that can be reliably targetted as a platform for 3rd-party development. Sure, we could also do 'download this SD image and boot from it' at which point *all* interoperability falls out the window, but we stand to lose a lot of the assets that a clean, well-maintained Linux distro brings to the table if we ignore the fact that we do, in fact, have to build this Linux distro as a community. We sure don't need so many forks!

IMHO, OpenMoko has been screwed from the beginning (looking at my dusty gta01 and gta02 right now, in fact) because of ridiculous management by none-other than Sean Moss-Pultz himself.

I agree that things probably could have been managed better. The focus should have been to create a working phone first with the whole team working on this topic.
At his defence: his management style didn't create enemies. You can see ex-employees still developing in their spare time. I think that is a good thing.
Also he is the first person to try a huge undertaking like this, that on its own is worth something imo.

Eventhough there has been made a lot of mistakes I'm still positive about the project (just like Pandora). I hope every owner will eventually benefit from the open character of the phone with the capabilities of any other phone.

'craigix' said:
What's their secret project? A netbook using ARM maybe?
What he got out of his pocket during the presentation looked very much like one of those portable navigation devices. We know it's not a phone as that is what GTA03 was supposed to be. Probably the feature seeing most use in the Freerunner is the GPS so I think it's realistic to assume that they are going to try to make a cheap open source GPS handheld which can then be used to work on Open Streetmap, bycicle computer software etc. That's what I would do, at least.

Back