Searching a 160 grams Linux Based Handheld?

patrick295767

Hi,

I like to have an handheld that may fit into the Pocket.

My ideal dimensions and weight, for this perfect linux handheld, would be as follows:

Closed (the keyboard/lid is close):

138mm (w) x 80mm (D) x 17mm (H) 

Opened (the keyboard/lid is open):

138mm (w) x 160mm (D) x 9mm (H) 

with a weight of 160g (including batteries)

Would you know which device/handheld might be ideally for that and supporting Linux?

(pandora 2 will maybe suit these specifications above?)

Thanks a lot !

Pat

Last edited by a moderator:
No linux device I know is that small an lightweight…

Sharp Zaurus are the smallest I know, the SL6000 with a sliding thumb keyboard weights about 300gr for ±16*8*2.5cm.

And pandora successor is far from being seriously planned… so I wouldn't hold my breath on that one.

Have you looked at ben nanonotes?

And pandora successor is far from being seriously planned… so I wouldn't hold my breath on that one.

It is being taken seriously, but I agree that both its existence and it's eta are completely unknown.

What I meant is that nothing is yet decided. 

We're nowhere near the moment the first delivery will be done.  :p

This might not be what you're looking for, but you can run a lot of Linux Distros on Android phones. As long as you're ok with ARM software, then that might be a good option for you.

Sharp Zaurus are the smallest I know, the SL6000 with a sliding thumb keyboard weights about 300gr for ±16*8*2.5cm.

sl600 is too small

a blackberry is crap to use (fingers too big)

I am/might be sure that the ideal size is as follows:

Closed (the keyboard/lid is close):

138mm (w) x 80mm (D) x 17mm (H) 

Opened (the keyboard/lid is open):

138mm (w) x 160mm (D) x 9mm (H) 

and space bettween keys.

with lower than 160g

with a weight of 160g (including batteries)

I desire a keyboard to type... and code, such as the keyboard-ed- handhelds (sharps, pandora, psion) 

This might not be what you're looking for, but you can run a lot of Linux Distros on Android phones. As long as you're ok with ARM software, then that might be a good option for you.
No its not a good option because they are not adapted to the screen resolutions. Have you tried using one before recommending stuff just because you saw it online?

/>

sl600 is too small
a blackberry is crap to use (fingers too big)

[…]

I desire a keyboard to type... and code, such as the keyboard-ed- handhelds (sharps, pandora, psion)
And my answer to your request is that I know no smaller linux devices than that.
I understood what you wanted, I'm not dumb. It was not useful (and a bit rude) to copy/paste your first post. (If you had done a search about Zaurus SL series, you would have seen that the one I talked about HAS a keyboard, you never wrote that it must not be a thumb keyboard.)

I just doubt such a device exist, what you want is too small and/or too lightweight.

The best match I could think of are the Zaurus SL-CXXXX series, they can run angstrom and other linux distro, but they're thicker and heavier than what you describe.

So I think that you'll have to tune down your requirements…

EDIT : Sharp Zaurus SL-C3000 Size:4.9 x 3.4 x 1.0 inches (124 x 87 x 25mm). Weight: 10.5 ounces (298 grams).

160 g including batteries and keyboard is very challenging, because batteries mean weight, and keyboard means additional space so additional weight as well. 

You are probably looking for a product that does not exist with these kind of specs :)

You could probably try to make a custom-made small battery for the Pandora with only 1/4th the capacity (still enough for a couple of hours) and only 1/3rd the weight. It would still be more than 160g, but it would get quite a bit closer to that.

Perhaps if at some point there is a Pandora successor, it could be made with two types of batteries (default heavy one with big capacity, optional light-weight one with small capacity) such that with the light-weight battery it gets below 200g. But at the moment I think it's safe to say that no such thing (160g Linux handheld with physical keyboard) exists.

But at the moment I think it's safe to say that no such thing (160g Linux handheld with physical keyboard) exists
Well, has Binky said, there is the Ben Nanonote:
Overall dimension (lid closed): 99 * 75 * 17.5mm. (display: 7.5mm, keyboard: 10mm)

Weight: 126g (includes battery)
But, judging by the photo, I wouldn't use its keyboard to type long texts or code :p And its screen is small and small resolution at 3" 320x240.

Those are the reasons I didn't even consider it as a "challenger" here :p

Perhaps if at some point there is a Pandora successor, it could be made with two types of batteries (default heavy one with big capacity, optional light-weight one with small capacity) such that with the light-weight battery it gets below 200g. But at the moment I think it's safe to say that no such thing (160g Linux handheld with physical keyboard) exists.
I don't really get the point of losing 100g for a lower capacity battery. It's like 300g/400g device is very heavy in the first place. I'd rather like a slightly heavier battery if it bring several hours more to the device. 

No its not a good option because they are not adapted to the screen resolutions. Have you tried using one before recommending stuff just because you saw it online?
Are you ever going to stop being such an asshole to me? Yes, I have Debian installed on my phone and use it a lot. It's nice to have LibreOffice as well as FreeJava on my phone

Are you ever going to stop being such an asshole to me? Yes, I have Debian installed on my phone and use it a lot. It's nice to have LibreOffice as well as FreeJava on my phone
Ok take a video. I'd like to see how you use it.

OK ;) I have some work to do today, but I'll make a video tonight. What would you like me to include in the vid?

OK ;) I have some work to do today, but I'll make a video tonight. What would you like me to include in the vid?
I'd like to see how you type a long document with your phone on LibreOffice. And I'd like to see the boot process steps.

Sure! I can use both a Bluetooth keyboard, or the digital one on my phone. Both work fine (obviously I'm faster on the physical one)

As far as boot, it's just a button on my home screen... It's not hard at all

Back