Searching a 160 grams Linux Based Handheld?

How about sharp is01 or lynx docomo sh-10b?

Qualcomm Snapdragon QSD8650 (is01) or QSD8250 (lynx sh-10b) running on 1Ghz. (1.3Ghz) +Adreno 200

Size : 149 x 83 x 17.9mm
Weight with battery : 227g

Runs Android up to 4.1 jelly bean. It can be hacked to run Opensuse or Ubuntu from recovery partition.

Found a little time in my schedule.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/122745818/LinuxOnAndroid.pdf

^^thats the document I typed out.

Sorry for the low resolution. My screen recorder doesn't go any higher.
You typed with an external keyboard, right?
Did you watch the WHOLE video? Plz dont just skim it and assume you know everything. I show me doing both hardware and software input

But I mention how the iCP2 would be perfect for it. Also, hopefully tonight I can get SuperZaxxon up and running. SZ+My phone+an iCP2 ~= an Open Pandora which is awesome (it also means once I get an iCP2 ill probably sell my pandora)

Last edited by a moderator:
Found a little time in my schedule.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/122745818/LinuxOnAndroid.pdf

^^thats the document I typed out.

Sorry for the low resolution. My screen recorder doesn't go any higher.
You typed with an external keyboard, right?
Did you watch the WHOLE video? Plz dont just skim it and assume you know everything. I show me doing both hardware and software input

But I mention how the iCP2 would be perfect for it. Also, hopefully tonight I can get SuperZaxxon up and running. SZ+My phone+an iCP2 ~= an Open Pandora which is awesome (it also means once I get an iCP2 ill probably sell my pandora)
The software input part is where you have the keyboard on screen? It looks fake - how do you type so fast? Or is that accelerated?

And how do you hope to make sZ running? it's specifically made for the Pandora hardware and drivers.

LOL! Its not fake. Ive been using onscreen keyboards for longer than Ive been using physical ones. It takes getting used to. I can make an IRL vid of me typing and talking if you want so you know its not speed up? SZ is a work in progress. Ill get back to you on that one.

have you considered finding the ideal smartphone and just buying an external keyboard for it?
it is out of thinking even

smartphone is not considered at all. there are many drawbacks

and external keyboard is excluded too 

How about sharp is01 or lynx docomo sh-10b?

Qualcomm Snapdragon QSD8650 (is01) or QSD8250 (lynx sh-10b) running on 1Ghz. (1.3Ghz) +Adreno 200

Size : 149 x 83 x 17.9mm

Weight with battery : 227g

Runs Android up to 4.1 jelly bean. It can be hacked to run Opensuse or Ubuntu from recovery partition.
thx

this is a phone, you cannot install Linux on it   +    furthermore it is magnetic, so I can damage another bank card leaving it into my wallet

http://images.frandroid.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/lg-genesis-us-cellular.jpg

Because they lack proper keyboards and proper connections, usually.

this is a real PC but too too heavy

http://www.wired.com/images_blogs/photos/uncategorized/2007/12/19/picture_3_2.jpg

Though it looks nice

Pandora is too heavy and not reliable.

My flexi cable is defect although I never did anything with it wrong

My zaurus, spent years, into my pocket and will live many many years no problemo 
Pandora is reliable (near impossible to brick, serviceable case, …), you just happen to have got a defective lcd cable. (it happens even with Zaurus, or any other "big name" device)

Just RMA your pandora to ED, it'll be replaced free of charge if you meet the requirements!

Pandora isn't that heavy, just get a satchel - a.k.a. man purse -, you'll be able to cram your pandora, some cables and your phone in it without risk for your magnetic cards.

I took my pandora around since the day I got it. (I didn't bought the carry case)

It has some small scratches and some silver paint removed at the angles and a small crack around one tab of the battery door.

It's still fully working and feel solid. Never had any problem with it.

this is a real PC but too too heavy

http://www.wired.com/images_blogs/photos/uncategorized/2007/12/19/picture_3_2.jpg

Though it looks nice

Pandora is too heavy and not reliable.

My flexi cable is defect although I never did anything with it wrong

My zaurus, spent years, into my pocket and will live many many years no problemo 
Pandora is reliable (near impossible to brick, serviceable case, …), you just happen to have got a defective lcd cable. (it happens even with Zaurus, or any other "big name" device)

Just RMA your pandora to ED, it'll be replaced free of charge if you meet the requirements!

Pandora isn't that heavy, just get a satchel - a.k.a. man purse -, you'll be able to cram your pandora, some cables and your phone in it without risk for your magnetic cards.

I took my pandora around since the day I got it. (I didn't bought the carry case)

It has some small scratches and some silver paint removed at the angles and a small crack around one tab of the battery door.

It's still fully working and feel solid. Never had any problem with it.

When I look my purple screen of the Pandora, it makes me depresses... so much money.. I will give it back for  flexi change (still waranty).

This issue changed my mind about a handheld.

They arent reliable at all. 

You can travel, and what you do if it does not want to work? 

Imagine if you decide to give your plenary talk with your Pandora (no laptop with you)

What do you mean by connections? Also, for keyboard, iCP2?
The point is to have one thing, not two. Phone+Keyboard is two things.

Connections: Proper USB ports, SD slots, access to serial lines, video out and so on. Also internally - The ability to "get at" the internal storage, install whatever you want, and so on. 

Re Reliability: That goes for all sorts of technical devices - If they decide not to work, you're screwed, no matter if it is a laptop, a handheld, a phone or a coffee machine. My Pandora has been far better at taking a beating than most, though.

When I look my purple screen of the Pandora, it makes me depresses... so much money.. I will give it back for  flexi change (still waranty).

As I said, IMHO the pandora is pretty tough. You just happen to have got a defective lcd cable.Sadly, it happens with many devices.

With enough care, you can avoid many scratches I have. My pandora was frequently thrown into my bag with no care at all.

Imagine if you decide to give your plenary talk with your Pandora (no laptop with you)
The same is true for laptop or any other device, if you roam around and they get broken, you can't use them anymore xDWhat's great with pandora is that you can order replacement parts and replace them yourself.

Some people here spent a week with no access to a 'real' computer and successfully used pandora as a laptop substitute (taking in account it's not a full-sized computer). EvilDragon only use his pandora when he goes to vacation or conventions without trouble.

I mean, you even have the choice of your linux distro : Angstrom (SuperZaxxon), Slackware (SL4P) and more recently and the less polished Bodhi…

This might not be what you're looking for, but you can run a lot of Linux Distros on Android phones. As long as you're ok with ARM software, then that might be a good option for you.
No its not a good option because they are not adapted to the screen resolutions. Have you tried using one before recommending stuff just because you saw it online?
Are you ever going to stop being such an asshole to me? Yes, I have Debian installed on my phone and use it a lot. It's nice to have LibreOffice as well as FreeJava on my phone
hi which phone is it?

As I said, IMHO the pandora is pretty tough. You just happen to have got a defective lcd cable.
Sadly, it happens with many devices.

With enough care, you can avoid many scratches I have. My pandora was frequently thrown into my bag with no care at all.

The same is true for laptop or any other device, if you roam around and they get broken, you can't use them anymore xD
What's great with pandora is that you can order replacement parts and replace them yourself.

Some people here spent a week with no access to a 'real' computer and successfully used pandora as a laptop substitute (taking in account it's not a full-sized computer). EvilDragon only use his pandora when he goes to vacation or conventions without trouble.

I mean, you even have the choice of your linux distro : Angstrom (SuperZaxxon), Slackware (SL4P) and more recently and the less polished Bodhi…
and debian,which ihavve nsttalled

The video I made was on a Galaxy S3. The Galaxy S4 isn't yet supported. But, if you want a Galaxy S3 on the cheap, you can buy one from Ebay thats for a US Carrier and just use the Wifi. US Carrier used ones are really cheap. About $200

The video I made was on a Galaxy S3. The Galaxy S4 isn't yet supported. But, if you want a Galaxy S3 on the cheap, you can buy one from Ebay thats for a US Carrier and just use the Wifi. US Carrier used ones are really cheap. About $200
the galaxy has no keyboad :/

this has one: http://tinyurl.com/987290432

keyboard_make_differences.png

Well if that works for you, go ahead. Im just trying to offer up possibilities :)

And just so you're aware, there aer android (and other OS) phones witb keyboards.

What do you mean by connections? Also, for keyboard, iCP2?
The point is to have one thing, not two. Phone+Keyboard is two things.

Connections: Proper USB ports, SD slots, access to serial lines, video out and so on. Also internally - The ability to "get at" the internal storage, install whatever you want, and so on. 
Yeah, totally agree. EssoAir, your crappy phone + a ICP2 is no way comparable with the Pandora. The Pandora is much more than that, hardware wise : it's a full computer with proper hardware ports + a very long lasting battery. I know the S3 does not last a day with constant usage (I have one) but the Pandora does. 

Back