Second Life Like Game For Pandora

I was thinking, would it be possible to create a MMO like second life but instead of using a centralized server use a feature like bittorrent that would share bandwidth over multiple pandoras? If that doesn't work then maybe get people to volunteer to share bandwith over several servers to create a stable environment. Mind you this is only something I've thought of theoretically.

i'd doubt it...especially if we're talking 3d...if not then why not fork off of like crossfire or something? i dont know...it says the client needs 200MHz+...the pandora has 600MHz in its main processor if im not mistaken; but the issue could be RAM...i cant find how much RAM the pandora has...it says 128MB minimum; and 256 recommended...and also, says that 500 MHz+ is recommended...

just my speculation...

btw...i would LOVE a portable MMO...i would go into a coma if such a thing happened...even if i cant afford a Pandora anytime soon...i have US$8.75 saved!

anyways...just my thoughts

--iRRVi

iRRVi said:
i'd doubt it...especially if we're talking 3d...if not then why not fork off of like crossfire or something? i dont know...it says the client needs 200MHz+...the pandora has 600MHz in its main processor if im not mistaken; but the issue could be RAM...i cant find how much RAM the pandora has...it says 128MB minimum; and 256 recommended...and also, says that 500 MHz+ is recommended...

just my speculation...

First, the :pandora1: has 128Mb of RAM.
You say "i'd doubt it especially if we're talking about 3d", and I don't agree (indeed that's just my through on it). I still use to play phantasy star online on dreamcast which is a 3d MMO game, and for 1 hour of playing/chatting the amount of data sent and received from the server is fewer than 10Mb.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ayla said:
iRRVi said:

just my speculation...

You say "i'd doubt it especially if we're talking about 3d", and I don't agree (indeed that's just my through on it). I still use to play phantasy star online on dreamcast which is a 3d MMO game, and for 1 hour of playing/chatting the amount of data sent and received from the server is fewer than 10Mb.
For right now this is just talk, I mean if some one wanted to tackle it that be cool, otherwise I don't see it happening I'm afraid. Just more throwing ideas out there for prospective developers.

I did find an open source MMO engine if some one would like to take a look at it.

http://www.garagegames.com/blogs/4280/13391

who knows how good it is.

Ayla said:
iRRVi said:

just my speculation...

And what does the bandwidth have to do with amount RAM? i would really LOVE to know...

A 2D, second-life-like game would be neat.

You could draw things and submit them to a catalog. Decorate a room or something. Make your own avatars.

Hell, that wouldn't be neat, that would be AWESOME.

Like Second Life but with drawing instead of linking primitives.

A decentralised mmo is not really feasible. Bittorrent has high latencies and does not guarantee that a certain piece of data is even available to every client.

How about a Second Life port ?

iRRVi said:
And what does the bandwidth have to do with amount RAM? i would really LOVE to know...
Nothing, really.
I never said that the baudwidth have something to do with the amount of RAM.

Ayla said:
iRRVi said:
Nothing, really.
I never said that the baudwidth have something to do with the amount of RAM.

hmmm...so you made 2 completely arbitrary statements?

whatever....

anyways: i say we should do a fork of XF

ideas?

iRRVi said:
hmmm...so you made 2 completely arbitrary statements?

Yes, sorry if that was not clear.

No links right now, too busy... But I believe that someone ported a second life client to the Nokia N800. As I remember, the ram overflowed if you tried to move, so it was only useful for chatting and item inventory checking. Also, though the N800 has the ability to use an SD card as swap, access to it is limited by the terrible bandwidth speed on the SD bus. With 128, and SD swap with higher speed for any incidentl overflow... I believe that running real second life on the Pandora is a possibility. A small one, but it still exsists.

NOTE: Much of what is coming out of my mouth is based purely on memory with little to no fact checking, so all statements are subject to WRONGNESS!

I've always drooled a bit over Playstation Home. I know that it's pretty weak in some places, but golly, just the floating around and chatting, potentially with multi-player hookups (TINXL?) just makes me want it! :p

yeah, PSO was a marvel of network optimization->100 ping = death.
i would be happy with any sort of MMO honestly, but some sort of space empire building type thingy seems most suitable.
i=

well... second life client is open-source and linux-compatible, so one might try.

Never played mmorpg's more then half an hour, but for those who like them, their should be enough 3d- and 2d-clients available.

I wonder if it might be possible to generate a 3D representation of these forums and possibly the relevant IRC chatrooms...?

Ok, perhaps a bit off topic, but I think it'd be cool anyway!

Tobriand said:
I wonder if it might be possible to generate a 3D representation of these forums and possibly the relevant IRC chatrooms...?

Ok, perhaps a bit off topic, but I think it'd be cool anyway!
I've been toying around with the idea of it being Lttp-style 2D. ;)

-God Ginrai

Well, hardware aside, anyone who would port a Second Life client or remake it on the Pandora would have to be a huge fan of the "game" or think he could make lots of money with it. Seeing as we are mostly hardcore gamers around here, both possibilities are unlikely.

Back