Second Life

Enverex

Website
robotbutler.org
I'm sure many people are aware of the program "Second Life". I know it can be a strain on modern machines but can actually scale back considerably well, many people I've spoke to in-game were on machines that seemed to run on Heirogliphics they were that ancient so I'm just wondering how likely the app is to be able to run on the Pandora.

Even if it can't run that fast it would still be usable as the main aspect is just being able to get around and still being able to talk, you wont need FPS speeds.

As far as I am aware the source code -is- available (this topic would be a bit pointless if it wasn't). Yep - http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Source_downloads
Not sure if there would be any other issues getting it over to ARM though.

So really 2 questions, one - would it be possible to port, and two, would it be able to run it? (even slowly). I'd imagine with the 3D core in use it shouldn't be bad at all.

Open-source with OpenGL?
It should work fine unless there's a closed dependency or a strong reliance on desktop OpenGL features.

It will need some effort, but I don't think it will be impossible.

I remember SL, nice platform for Furry and Hentai Fans by the way... ;)
But mainly I just remember onto the horrible slow Performance even onto High-End-Machines. I don't know how heavy the streaming of this Game is but it feels like it always loads everything from the Servers all the time. Not very useful for Memory limited Machines like the Pandora. And I think you need a very fast Internet Connection (my buddy has "only" 1 MBit so the SL experience wasn't that great).
I would prefer WoW instead of SL :D

Enverex said:
WoW isn't in any way like SL, that's like saying "I'd prefer a kettle to a mountain bike...".
True, it is really not a comparable thing. I just wanted to say that if there would be a choose between 2 Online-based "games" I would prefer WoW. I'm not playing WoW and I'm not a big fan of WoW but I find this type of game better than the SL concept (3D Chat with "Sims" elements plus alot of other things)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back