Sega Cd Sound File Coversion

hitchcok

Still Fresh
I am able to load Sega CDs fine on Picodrive; however, games like Sonic CD do not play music tracks. I know that the CD music files must be in .mp3 format, and encoded at the 44.1 bit rate, but I've tried this and still no soundtrack. What am I doing wrong, and is there a freeware sound editing program that I can Google that will encode the tracks properly?- I've tried a bunch. I have searched high and low for an answer to my question, and I only got one lead, that described what the problem was, but the prescribed fix that didn't work for me. Other than that, I have come across postings from people with the same problem, but not giving the fix after figuring out the solution on their own. I have searched these forums to no avail. Anyone's help will be appreciated, and will serve as a guide to anyone else who may have this same problem. Thanks!

hitchcok said:
I am able to load Sega CDs fine on Picodrive; however, games like Sonic CD do not play music tracks. I know that the CD music files must be in .mp3 format, and encoded at the 44.1 bit rate, but I've tried this and still no soundtrack. What am I doing wrong, and is there a freeware sound editing program that I can Google that will encode the tracks properly?- I've tried a bunch. I have searched high and low for an answer to my question, and I only got one lead, that described what the problem was, but the prescribed fix that didn't work for me. Other than that, I have come across postings from people with the same problem, but not giving the fix after figuring out the solution on their own. I have searched these forums to no avail. Anyone's help will be appreciated, and will serve as a guide to anyone else who may have this same problem. Thanks!

Well, I haven't really tried getting this to work with mp3 files. However, an alternative workaround to this problem is to encode the disc in one .bin file (with an associated .cue file) and just use that raw image. The drawback to this, of course, is that it takes up significantly more room. It does work, though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the reply, but I found a different solution for my problem. Here is what I've done, and hopefully this will help others.

1. Download Audacity -a free audio editor
2. Audacity won't allow you to convert mp3s until lame is installed -you can get lame file from CDEX- a CD ripper program-fully install CDEX-
3. When you want to do a mp3 transfer Audacity will ask for the Lame file-get it from the folder where CDEX is installed
4. Open the Sega CD file that you want to convert to the proper Mp3 format and export it to a folder of your choosing- Settings are set so no need to change them.

This is information is for Picodrive on the Caanoo. This is just a synopsis, please read the Audacity help file for further information

Back