Sega Genesis Emulation And Saving

Null D3v

Still Fresh
I was recently playing Sonic 3 & Knuckles and noticed that when I would reset the ROM or would turn off my GP2X, my current progress in the game would not be saved in-game like it did with the original Genesis cartridge. Of course, I have been using save states, yet I would still like to have my completed game file saved in-game. Is this possible?

Null D3v posted on Jul 15 2006 at 08:50 PM said:
I was recently playing Sonic 3 & Knuckles and noticed that when I would reset the ROM or would turn off my GP2X, my current progress in the game would not be saved in-game like it did with the original Genesis cartridge. Of course, I have been using save states, yet I would still like to have my completed game file saved in-game. Is this possible?
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: , NO.

I think it would be mentioned in the readmes for DrMD if David Reesy (AKA Reesy) is planning on doing it.

You can check his previous posts, he is planning USB controller support, and making the video go faster with some neat tricks maybe, but I think he said there wasn't any need for the savegames support to work as long as there are savestates.

To check his posts find a DrMD thread he posted in and click his name, then under profile options you should be able to use "view member's posts", that should give you all the info from the authour that you need.

Last edited by a moderator:
@Null D3v: As far as I am aware this should be working. You need to have the auto-sram menu option set to ON, this causes the emulator to load/save the SRAM each time you enter the menu. Obviously if you are playing a game and you just switch the GP2X off then the SRAM will not be saved, you need to return to the menu and then the SRAM will be saved to a file.

Other emulators save the SRAM constantly, every time the SRAM is written, the save file is written. I will not be implementing this, as for 1 it will screw the performance up and 2 it will screw the SD card up.

Reesy posted on Jul 15 2006 at 11:56 PM said:
@Null D3v: As far as I am aware this should be working. You need to have the auto-sram menu option set to ON, this causes the emulator to load/save the SRAM each time you enter the menu. Obviously if you are playing a game and you just switch the GP2X off then the SRAM will not be saved, you need to return to the menu and then the SRAM will be saved to a file.

Other emulators save the SRAM constantly, every time the SRAM is written, the save file is written. I will not be implementing this, as for 1 it will screw the performance up and 2 it will screw the SD card up.
Wow, I am totally wrong, not the first time though. Reesy continues to astound with his amazing emulator.

I just haven't played any SRAM games enough to miss the feature, I am sure I would have turned it on in the options menu had I needed it.

nubie posted on Jul 16 2006 at 12:09 PM said:

Wow, I am totally wrong, not the first time though. Reesy continues to astound with his amazing emulator.

I just haven't played any SRAM games enough to miss the feature, I am sure I would have turned it on in the options menu had I needed it.
You don't play rpg's?! :blink:

yeah, like stategy RPG's, action RPG's, text based RPG's, Classic RPG's, Japanese RPG's... so many other genre's

OMars posted on Jul 16 2006 at 11:38 AM said:
nubie posted on Jul 16 2006 at 12:09 PM said:

You don't play rpg's?! :blink:
No, and I really haven't played DrMD hardly at all either. Just to check if it functioned properly.

You also left out my favorite genre above, Action/Adventure RPG's :)

xinfernoofdantex posted on Jul 16 2006 at 05:25 PM said:
yeah, like stategy RPG's, action RPG's, text based RPG's, Classic RPG's, Japanese RPG's... so many other genre's
:p

Back