Sega Genesis Emulation

urbangangsta101

Still Fresh
Hello Peeps,
Just wondering if anyone knows anything about Sega Genesis Emulation on the GP32, are there any emulators in development? if so, what kinda status are they in? how possible is it to emulate it on the GP32 specs? im the proud owner of 2 Sega Mega Drives, 2 Sega Mega-CD's and about 70+ carts, one of my fave systems of all time, but i really wanna play stuff like Streets of Rage, Sonic and Golden Axe on the move!

nothing doing yet. 3 emu's in development but nothing released or even on the immediate horizion. GP32 should be capable of fullspeed genesis emulation without sound at the present, possibly with sound? (i don't know)

you arent going to see anything for a little while. there's lots of rumblings on the GP32 boards (like this one) where people get kinda stirred up "WHEN WILL I GET MY GENESIS EMULATION!!" and I think everyone's getting a little tired of it. at the end of the day, here's where it stands...

there's recently been a bit of a race to nail down NES emulation on GP32, after it had languished for ages. my guess is that with continued interest and support, the more powerful systems will be tackled next. genesis is a very popular one, so hopefully it can't be that far off (next 6 months?) - but the scene isn't lightning-quick like the PC so you gotta be patient.

if you're really anxious, search around the news archives of this + other sites ot see WIP progress for the genesis emulators.. and don't bug the authors, as it will likely impede progress if anything. and hopefully, we'll see something soon enough! In the meantime, there's gajillions of other wonderful games/systems to enjoy emulated on the GP32.. get some quality time in there and the lack of a Genesis emulator will not be so frustrating.

i've heard some pretty hopeful things about the genesis emulators and they are suposedly according to some playable all ready so i personally hope + think it wont be 2 long off an early alpha of 1

At least two in development. Both are coming on well...

Hoipefully wont be too long before we see them publicly released :D Even without sound would be great!

Rlyeh's fgen32 is in beta and it runs at about 30% (when running sonic 1) speed on frameskip 0 with no sound but I've been told it was very early work and things have changed since then.

I agree, SMS is fun but certainly those games don't compare to their 16-bit counterparts... I'd just skip those conversions altogether and wait for the real deal.

Rico posted on Aug 18 2003 said:
/me waits for obligatory _counter reference
Ok you asked for it.

_counter's genesis emu currently runs at 200% speed with frameskip 0 and sound in full dolby digital 5.1. Also he's exploited the Z80 a little and created what I like to call "Genesis - Half biblical half Sega" What that does is this. It takes the 'universe' from the rom you're using and creates a planet just like it and places it just right of the moon. Currently this has a few bugs but he thinks with RF support he can prevent the planets from colliding when more than one person uses the same rom.

Force feedback utilising you're own bodily functions and gasses will also be in the next release.

Remember that he has done all this in C++ from scratch.

What a guy!

Sorry that should be guys.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back