Sending Back My Laptop

Nova

Is that a Caanoo in your pocket or are you just ha
Website
Visit site
Hey.

I have to send my laptop back to HP because the power cable does not always supply power to the laptop, and has to be wiggled around to find the right connection. Usually this leads to the laptop running out of power because I didn't notice that the connection was lost.
I think it is probably just going to be repaired and sent back to me.

However, I installed Windows 7 on the laptop a couple weeks ago. Should I restore the computer back to windows vista before I send it back, or will they not care?

Thanks,

Paul

I think you would be alright. If they're fixing the hardware, they shouldn't care about the software.

For a hardware fault, they'll probably just replace and not care about the software. However, make sure you don't have anything on the laptop you want to keep. If they just change for another laptop, you may find your files deleted and it reverted back to factory default.

I doubt they'll repair it. You'll probably just get another new one if its less than about 60 days old, else a refurbished one.

Actually, Pickle does state a good point. They could claim that the software is telling the power adaptor that the battery is full, and so it doesn't attempt to charge. We both know this is rubbish, but if it's running the OS it was supplied with, it rules that out and probably gets the problem sorted quicker.

Last edited by a moderator:
Technically they shouldn't even need to turn the laptop on, problems like that are normally fixed by replacing the DC jack - if the AC light's stable with the new one in even with a bit of wiggling, it should be fine.

Should have bought a Dell. They'd have had someone on your doorstep with a new part the day after you phoned them :p

I don't know how HP work with warranties, but if they have troubleshooted your problem, identified where it is and said that you just need to send it in for them to replace the part then it should be ok.

You could always setup a partition and install XP/Vista/whatever onto that, with it set as the default boot. It should only take an hour at the most and if you get your original laptop back then you'll only need to fix the boot loader and delete the partition.

Should have bought a Dell. They'd have had someone on your doorstep with a new part the day after you phoned them :p.
My next door neighbor bought a brand new dell online. It developed a cd drive fault within a week of it being bought. It took 3 months for him to get it fixed.

He did it wrong
where's your decisive evidence? dell isn't perfect. (on a side note, they shouldn't care that you have windows 7, every windows OS is perfect because it's made by microsoft"].[/quote]I sincerely hope you are joking about that :rolleyes:

@topic: Some companies will try to blame anything that they can to get themselves off the hook, you should be fine with HP though.

He did it wrong
where's your decisive evidence? dell isn't perfect. (on a side note, they shouldn't care that you have windows 7, every windows OS is perfect because it's made by microsoft"].
I sincerely hope you are joking about that :rolleyes: [/quote]@topic: Some companies will try to blame anything that they can to get themselves off the hook, you should be fine with HP though.

no, i am completely unserious. microsoft is perfect and we should give all of our money to bill gates or whatever.

Hey.

I have to send my laptop back to HP because the power cable does not always supply power to the laptop, and has to be wiggled around to find the right connection. Usually this leads to the laptop running out of power because I didn't notice that the connection was lost.
I think it is probably just going to be repaired and sent back to me.

However, I installed Windows 7 on the laptop a couple weeks ago. Should I restore the computer back to windows vista before I send it back, or will they not care?

Thanks,

Paul
Remove the hard disk, it's very simple and they recommend you do that anyway. I had to send my dv9000 series hp laptop back and they said I could remove the battery, hard disk and cd drive. They can't deny your hardware warranty for upgrading windows though, it's illegal (in the US), I can't speak for anywhere else. The printer manufacturers tried that and they got defeated.

Chris

I think you would be alright. If they're fixing the hardware, they shouldn't care about the software.
you would think that was the case. Some of these companies will claim your hw problem no matter the problem is a result of running sw that they didnt install (notably linux"]
[/quote]I have had this problem with just about every major computer manufacturer. From toner carts to software, they will try to get out of the warranty, especially for software. I used to work in large mutual funds' IT dept and Compaq (HP) would try to get out of hard disk warranties because we erased Windows 98 or ME and installed 4.0 WS and their Bigfoot hard disks weren't compatible and would die. We eventually got them to replace them, all 10k of them:) Of course, WE had to replace them at our expense, they just supplied the hard disks. I guess when you are buying 500 pc's a month, they like to keep you happy.

Chris

He did it wrong
where's your decisive evidence? dell isn't perfect.
They didn't try hard enough. Dell are perfect.
if dell is perfect, we should all be able to use their computers with ease and we shouldn't have to try hard to do anything because it's so perfect. (on another side note, are you saying he had a cd drive fault because he didn't try hard enough?)

I should probably start another topic for this, but what is the best brand of mid-sized laptop. I was looking into the Lenovo Ideapad, but I hear they have problems. Opinions?

A quick update: HP has lost my laptop. Am on the phone at the moment asking what they're gonna do about it.

EDIT: How long between them saying they will call you back and them not calling you back should you leave it till you call 'em again?

EDIT: How long between them saying they will call you back and them not calling you back should you leave it till you call 'em again?
If I phoned them in the morning and they said they'd ring me back, I'll ring them back in the afternoon, and then again the next morning, then afternoon, etc.

Back