series of issues with new Pandora

Degtyarev708

Still Fresh
Well so far Im loving the Pandora, unfortunately its had some minor problems since I first got it.

X crahes fairly often when Im using any program, excluding emuators, so far at least. I need to pull the battery to fix this, and thats far from convenient, sometimes losing something that didnt save.

The screen a seems like its scratched under the surface, along with a dead pixel at the center of the screen. The pixel isnt much of a problem though, its the small scratches that bother me.

Right trigger is quite loud. Not much of a problem, but these things are kind of adding up, and its bothersome, particularly to those around me.

Key pad seems rough like its coated strangly. Again, very minor issue since it is just a strange feeling that Im already getting used to.

Basically, the only thing close to being worthy of RMA is the screen, and shipping a bit expensive for the small scratches. Though if its simple enough to remove the bumps from the keypad, or silence the trigger, or most importantly, prevent X from crashing, help would be appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
X crahes fairly often when Im using any program

I think you'll have to be a little more specific there, what programs? what clock speed? what version of the firmware?

The screen a seems like its scratched under the surface

Sounds very odd, can you post a picture of this?

So far its happened mostly with babypanda and gedit, panplayer, vlc, and similar programs. Its normally clocked at 800mhz, and its running with superzaxxon beta 5.

Scratches don't show up on camera. They aren't large so they are very noticeable on a still image, but otherwise not very visible, which is why its not a huge concern for me.

X crahes fairly often when Im using any program

I think you'll have to be a little more specific there, what programs? what clock speed? what version of the firmware?

The screen a seems like its scratched under the surface

Sounds very odd, can you post a picture of this?

So far its happened mostly with babypanda and gedit, panplayer, vlc, and similar programs. Its normally clocked at 800mhz, and its running with superzaxxon beta 5.

Scratches don't show up on camera. They aren't large so they are very noticeable on a still image, but otherwise not very visible, which is why its not a huge concern for me.

Maybe if you take the picture under a bright light with the camera at an angle like this; Sorry about the big picture!

jg6wx.jpg

If the scratches are very small then you can get a screen protector and you won't be able to see the scratches, I believe any screen protector for an Archos 605 should work.

You should be using a screen protector anyway! On every device you own; especially a $500 one.

Also, could you take a picture of the rough keypad as well? I'm curious as to what that looks like :huh:

Right trigger is quite loud

I wouldn't worry about the trigger, they are a little tight to press at first, It'll break in just use it for a few weeks and it'll start working perfectly. Mine was the same way. It's much better than having the trigger too loose!

What is your opp level set at. If you are still at OPP3 then I would bump it up to OPP4 for 800 mHz.

http://pandorawiki.org/Overclocking

I don't often use panplayer, or vlc but what are you trying to play/ do with them. Some video types may not work and may cause problems,

AFAIK babypanda only saw one public release so there may be bugs however I don't have problems when I use Firefox 13, give that browser a shot, works wonderfully

What is your opp level set at. If you are still at OPP3 then I would bump it up to OPP4 for 800 mHz.

http://pandorawiki.org/Overclocking

I don't often use panplayer, or vlc but what are you trying to play/ do with them. Some video types may not work and may cause problems,

AFAIK babypanda only saw one public release so there may be bugs however I don't have problems when I use Firefox 13, give that browser a shot, works wonderfully
Max OPP is set to 5.

It doesnt seem to be due to a bug in a program, simply because it happens to most programs I use, and its not every time I launch the application. Its normally an hour or 2 into use of the pandora, and usually when I start up the program.

What video formats are you trying to play with panplayer and vlc when it crashes? specifically, resolution, bitrate, & video type.

What programs other than gedit and babypanda are you having trouble with? Also please try firefox, the latest release is the best browser on the pandora.

It doesnt seem to be due to a bug in a program, simply because it happens to most programs I use, and its not every time I launch the application. Its normally an hour or 2 into use of the pandora, and usually when I start up the program.

Are you running multiple programs when these problems occur?

Also try running at opp3 and 600 mhz to see if that's the problem. Not all units are good clockers.

PS. Any luck on those pictures of keypad and screen? :)

Have you installed the codec pack? If you haven't, then that might explain some crashes, methinks...

I'd go with Hotfix Super Zaxxon beta5a

I don't recommend a screen protector for the Pandora screen. You'll destroy the touchscreen possibly when you decide to remove it. Just my opinion, but its not a cell phone you drop occasionally that needs protection.

If you haven't installed the codec pack, that may help with some things.

I'd go with Hotfix Super Zaxxon beta5a

I don't recommend a screen protector for the Pandora screen. You'll destroy the touchscreen possibly when you decide to remove it. Just my opinion, but its not a cell phone you drop occasionally that needs protection.

If you haven't installed the codec pack, that may help with some things.

The screen protector is non-adhesive and doesn't leave a residue, I have removed and replaced it several times with no issue at all. I got it from http://www.clarivue.com/. Works really well.

I use a screen protector because my first LCD in my pandora was scratched from the stylus. I replaced the LCD and after that put the screen protector on, now I change the protector every 3-4 months. As you can see in my above picture the screen does get scratched from stylus use. I don't even bring it out of the house I just want to protect my LCD that ED charges 80$ for a replacement part.

I'd just like to add a +1 for a good screen protector, even if you don't use the touchscreen - I bought an Archos 605 one and didn't put it on for ages - my screen wasn't scratched or anything, I just never got round to it until recently. I wiped clean my LCD, put the protector on and the sudden improvement (as counterintuitive as it sounds) was amazing. There are lots of 'anti glare' matte finish protectors (the Pandora's screen is slightly matte) but mine is a very glossy smooth one. The best way to describe the difference in visuals is that it makes it more like a CRT - running vector games in MAME with the vector intensity tweaked to max is a whole new experience, just beautiful.

The adhesive layer (don't worry, very mild) does render minor surface marks invisible, and touchscreen is hardly affected. Be sure to apply one with a slight bias to the right and top - there's a tiny margin around the edges and you'll want sliders and toolbars not to have a 'ridge'.

Back