Setting up Remmina

TylerAW

Is there a guide for this? Im trying to remote control my pc this is the correct program right?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes but you need to:

1. Make sure that your wi-fi is enabled and you are connected to your home network, as should be your PC.

2. Make sure you have the correct IP address of your PC. Probably 'ipconfig' in the command line.

3. Have a service/protocol/client running on your PC (I use tightvnc).

4. Open Remina and plug in the IP address details, click connect.

Obviously both the pandora and the PC need to be connected to the (same) network.

I have literally just done it to make sure that what I am saying works!

Let me know how you get on. :)

Yes but you need to:

1. Make sure that your wi-fi is enabled and you are connected to your home network, as should be your PC.

2. Make sure you have the correct IP address of your PC. Probably 'ipconfig' in the command line.

3. Have a service/protocol/client running on your PC (I use tightvnc).

4. Open Remina and plug in the IP address details, click connect.

Obviously both the pandora and the PC need to be connected to the (same) network.

I have literally just done it to make sure that what I am saying works!

Let me know how you get on. :)
Ok I will try this out but doesn't my PC need to run some software too?

Do as DoubleDash suggested and install tightvnc on your PC.

Open that with the Run TightVNCServer choice from the system menu.

It will minimise to the system tray area near the clock on a windows PC.

Double click the icon for VNC Server and on the first Tab 'SERVER' hit the SET button for Primary Password. Enter a password.

Get your PC's IP address (192.168.X.X etc) from ipconfig in a cmd window.

On the Pandora open Remmina.

Click quick connect and choose VNC for Protocol type from the drop down menu.

Add the IP address into the Server box.

Click connect and it should prompt for the password and then you should be able to control your desktop PC.

To save the connection for quicker set up, simply choose NEW with the +icon, name the connection, choose VNC as protocol again and again add the IP in the server box, the password in place and then shift-drag the window to get to the Save button. Then highlight your named connection and hit connect.

I'd like to thank DoubleDash for his instructions as I'd previously never got around to trying Remmina and didn't have a clue how to.

Do as DoubleDash suggested and install tightvnc on your PC.

Open that with the Run TightVNCServer choice from the system menu.

It will minimise to the system tray area near the clock on a windows PC.

Double click the icon for VNC Server and on the first Tab 'SERVER' hit the SET button for Primary Password. Enter a password.

Get your PC's IP address (192.168.X.X etc) from ipconfig in a cmd window.

On the Pandora open Remmina.

Click quick connect and choose VNC for Protocol type from the drop down menu.

Add the IP address into the Server box.

Click connect and it should prompt for the password and then you should be able to control your desktop PC.

To save the connection for quicker set up, simply choose NEW with the +icon, name the connection, choose VNC as protocol again and again add the IP in the server box, the password in place and then shift-drag the window to get to the Save button. Then highlight your named connection and hit connect.

I'd like to thank DoubleDash for his instructions as I'd previously never got around to trying Remmina and didn't have a clue how to.

Thank You for this , worked like a charm. Bud

IT WORKS! Ok This needs to be posted in a sticky or on the tips and tricks page lol.

A few questions do I need to have my PC set to 800x480 or some low resolution to get better performance?

So I tried it on my USB 801.11 N Device and omg it was slow, I had it set to 16 Bit Color and my computers graphic card was at 800x600 with 16 bit color, I was standing next my wireless router to get a perfect connection and games are unplayable :(

VNC was never designed for the rapid motion that is video games. As said, even between high end PCs with good network connection, you'll probably only achieve a few frames per second. This is the nature of the VNC protocol. There are some companies that have done something similar with heavier compression and a few other tricks, but none of that is available to the opensource community. See OnLive for example.

DO you think with time when there are more services like OnLive we will eventually get some sort of open source clone?

I use VNC to control a headless server playing music on the living room hifi...

I tried to connect with Remmina on my Pandora, but it actually crashes the VNC server..!

I run linux on that VNC server machine, at xga (1024x768).

Did anyone experience good results with their linux VNC server..?

I never had problems to connect to linux or windows vnc via remmina. But didn't try since super zaxxon beta 2 though.

Has anyone tried Remmina with the latest firmware (Sz 1.52)? Can I use this app to acces my Pc from a different city, country, etc)?

Yes, as long as you have DynDNS's Updater running and configured properly. You would then input the name you gave your IP address and port that the VNC server is listening on when connecting.

Back