Shaders/filters Etc

andyhamer

Apologies if this has been covered before, does anyone know if the shaders & custom filters that can be run in certain emulators such as EPSXE, SNES9X etc (Pete's Open GL2 plugins, Super Eagle, HQ4x and the like) would be usable or possible on Pandora?
Thanks to anyone taking the time to respond.

ePSXe is proprietary and you can't run anything OpenGL without porting. The shader processor on the SGX chip is compliant with the Direct X paradigm SM 4.0 which amounts to supporting geometry shaders and everything below

zhasha said:
ePSXe is proprietary and you can't run anything OpenGL without porting. The shader processor on the SGX chip is compliant with the Direct X paradigm SM 4.0 which amounts to supporting geometry shaders and everything below
In other words: no, the "filters" you mention aren't available, but equivalent ones can be made for Pandora emulators if a developer can be bothered to do it.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's great Na-Noo, now to draw a parallel to make it a bit easier to understand.
Let's say you have some filters for Photoshop that are open sourced. Does this mean you can run them on the pandora?

You can't use Pete's for anything without the emulator it's written for (ePSXe), which is closed source.

The N64 graphics plugin has support for 2xSAI texture filtering. I remember Tinnus saying the psx emulator has texture filters aswell. Please note by "texture filters" i mean they're applied to the actual textures when they're cached (ie usually not real time), not the framebuffer... but that doesn't really matter since with 3d we can natively render at a higher resolution. Applying upscaling filters to the framebuffer is slower, but i would guess we have enough execution time left over for 2D consoles.

Implementing most filters in OGL is not worth it (particularly on the SGX), its also rarely worthwhile vectorising (except Scale2x). They're usually heavily branch or LUT heavy.

zhasha said:
That's great Na-Noo, now to draw a parallel to make it a bit easier to understand.
Let's say you have some filters for Photoshop that are open sourced. Does this mean you can run them on the pandora?

You can't use Pete's for anything without the emulator it's written for (ePSXe), which is closed source.

What it means is, it may be possible to port it. Wether it's worth it as Adventus mentioned is a different matter.
Using your example you may be able to run a photoshop plugin if you have an app on the Pandora that uses those plugins. (If it was open source, linux, open gl as Pete's are, port may be possible)
Hence why I asked if there was any based on the plugin format as Zinc was, which isn't ePSXe.

Edit:
Here's some useful info spamfisher
here and here

Last edited by a moderator:
Back