Share your DESKTOP!

docbroke

Banned
Let's share our desktop looks and configuration.

Here is my Desktop,
WM - Calm WM,
Panel - conky with trayer (for systray support ),
Calendar on screen is remind piped to conky,
Wallpaper - my own click atPangong Tso
File Manager- vifm
Menu - rofi

Image to show rofi menu

Clean look

Click for full image

Last edited:
triple screen.jpg
desktop 35.png

left middle and right monitors. i have 3 1920 x 1200 28" Viewsonic monitors. top pic is setup with screensaver running.
i7 3770K @ 4.2GHz 16GB ram and a GTX970

Last edited:
xscreenshot-2019-09-04T112342.png

The desktop environment is i3, the background is provided by feh, and changes once a minute via a cron job, picking randomly from a folder of about 500 pictures. This is on the MicroPC.

My desktop computer is only for games, and is running Windows 10 inside of a Proxmox VM, with GPU passtthrough.

I like minimalism.
desktop.png

I do have a collapsing panel on the left edge with shortcuts and a clock and the dmenu which isn't exposed, but given this screen is a mere 1024x600 I like to have as much real estate as possible. All I have there is the system tray showing the claws mail icon for no unread mail, the xfce-dropdown terminal icon (it's open in another workspace), and an updating load graph.

I did once try to set up a background photo, which was a space picture from the Juno probe I think; it was a picture of Jupter's pole showing a cluster of mainly blue and white vortices, but the systemd unit that's meant to bring it up has always failed, probably because of the slightly weird way I boot this machine up, so I've never bothered to debug why. If I want it to appear, feh wrote out a dot file I can call to set up, but I rarely bother these days.

Admittedly I have a little clutter, although I only usually have one app showing at a time. In the top bar there is:
  • The latest post from pandora stalker, which takes me to the page
  • Todo list showing a count of items, and launches a very simple dmenu script to manage them when clicked
  • Local weather
  • Next calendar event and date which loads caldav on click (actually all of the sections of the top panel do something when clicked)
screenshot-190904_1365x767.png

Ah three i3 in a row. I used i3 for about good one year, but after that my Dell laptop died due to some weird hardware issue, and I took this opportunity to test openbox which I liked and kept for a while. Before few days I read about cwm, which I liked even more, so that is my default WM now. The cwm itself provides menu/window search etc., which appears on mouse click or keyboard shortcut but I like rofi from i3 days which I continue to use.

Well, technically mine's openbox with an lxde panel and a xfce terminal. I do use i3 on my server, but on this machine I'm still wedded to the idea of windows behind others to be honest.

This is my laptop's desktop
hjFsTcT.png

Very simple. That's how I like it.

It's pretty much the same for the desktop computer I have at home except without a dock. I run KDE at the moment, because I find that it has the best support for global menus. I wish I could run a gtk system like cinnamon but it lacks proper global menu support. I find Mate's compositing to be limiting and Gnome, no matter how much I use it, I can't stop myself from hating it.
And before anyone comments, I don't care, that you care, that I run Discord. I need to communicate with my friends.

If anyone want's the wallpaper just ask.

Edit: I just realize I don't run KDE on my laptop I run xfce. What a miss haha.

Last edited:
Reactions: rSl
I switched from Manjaro to Arch last week. Definitely my favorite workstation so far. I still need to fix up some of my i3blocks scripts and symlink my config files to my git repo so it is easy to reproduce elsewhere.
desktop-png.33213

Attachments

• desktop.png
    desktop.png
    2.4 MB · Views: 683
@edgex004, your wallpaper is interesting, is it some historical event ?
I too use rofi, Have you tried rofi in combi mode ? I find it more useful as it also shows open windows and destop numbers.
Code:
rofi -show combi -modi combi -combi-modi window,run

iu

my c64 desktop. powered by tfc3+.
i too like simplicity. ;)

Nice! You win my vote for best yet! :)

Back when I used a more "conventional" window manager, I often used an Amiga style theme to make Linux look like Workbench. After all, when using a mouse, we might as well do it with style ;)

Reactions: rSl
Back