Should I Buy A Wiz When I Have A F200?

nigelgk

Still Fresh
Hi all :D

I bought a secondhand F200 about 3 months ago. It is a fantastic little unit and I use it almost every day to relive the days of SNES and Megadrive. What I would like to know, is it worth also getting a Wiz? Do you find it runs games any better? How are you coping with the screen tear problem? Those with both machines, do you use both?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Best wishes,

N....................

I have both F200 and a Wiz and I can honestly say that I prefer the Wiz by a country mile. It's smaller, lighter, more comfortable to use and the screen is gorgeous. It also fits in the pocket better and doesn't have an annoying car aerial stylus. Charging via USB is also easier than replacing batteries and you can play it longer on a single charge. People moan about the diagonal tearing, but it doesn't really bother me tbh. Obviously it would be better without it, but it's not always present - not every game is affected by it.

If you had neither, I would highly recommend the Wiz. However the Wiz is a very similar machine to the GP2X. At the end of the day, it's your money and your choice.

I've got a wiz, and I've never used an F-200. I think the wiz is decent, but I'm not sure if it warrants the 200+ dollar price tag it's going for now. I would wait a while and see where the price goes, not to mention the pandora on it's way (just like duke nukem' forever =x). But hey, if you've got some expendable income, go for it. I don't regret my purchase. =]

at this moment, software for gp2x is better - there is nothing the wiz does much better for now . I would wait to see how far the wiz comm goes.

but if you don't mind, buy one.
i think it's interesting to see the developement of the wiz and it's software

I have an F100 that can overclock to 280 stable. So a lot of emulators like amiga and mame run quite nice. However, after purchasing a Wiz about two weeks ago I can say that MAME and Amiga run far better on the Wiz. SNES also runs quite a bit better. A lot of games that were hanging around 45 fps on the GP2X are now 60fps. SNES games that used to run very slow are now around 30 fps and very playable. I can now play Contra III and Axelay and enjoy it. Getting back to MAME and Amiga, it's nice playing Shadow of the Beast 3 nearly fullspeed and X-MEN, TMNT Turtles In Time, Simpsons, and Sunset Riders pretty much fullspeed overclocking to 750mhz. MAME definitely shows the biggest improvement at the moment. So if you're a MAME fanatic as well as an snes fanatic like you mentioned it is worth it. However it's my opinion, but if you have the money for it then I don't think you'd be disappointed. One last thing I would like to mention is about the Genesis/Mega Drive emulator Picodrive. It's still far better on the GP2X. This version that's ported is an older GP2X version and an unofficial release. In the end I have been very pleased with my Wiz purchase and don't regret it at all. I am keeping my GP2X F100 for the meantime till a better Picodrive emulator comes along and the NEC PC-98 emulator NP22x gets ported to the Wiz. (crosses fingers)

I like allot of classic MAME arcade games. So in this case the Wiz right now is the best for that period, full stop. Not only is it faster but the OLED screen makes those arcade games look close to the CRTs they were played on with their perfect black levels etc. LCD just washes them out. Other then that i don't know right now, there are allot of emus that are still MIA on the WIZ even though the GP2X source is available. Maybe wait to see if it ever picks up.

I have both (actually I have most of the major handhelds out there at the moment) and I'm really having a great time with my Wiz .. but I've only set it up with MAME so far, and had so much fun with just MAME, 100% MAME, nothing but MAME, and not run anything else. Its just such a great little MAME machine and hell fun to play all the old great classics on the fantastic OLED screen.

That said, I'll probably let it get dusty when Pandora finally arrives, but for now its my main game machine. I just can't get enough Juno6! :)

Back