Should I Get One And Why ?.whats All The Fuss

mark1980

Still Fresh
hi every body,hi HI DOCTOR NICK.ok i use to have a gp2x and loved playing all those golden oldies but i sold it a while back on ebay,which i kind of regret.i dont want to spend the earth so the dingoo sounds a good idea for some gaming goodness.all a want to know is what its realy like by people who have one and what the future holds for it or does it have one with the wiz kicking round.and what are the chances of more emulators coming ?.our wounld i be better waiting to find another gp2x f100 ?.and finaly wheres a good/cheap place to get one off the web i.e ebay/ some where in the uk.any help on making my mind up on this matter wounld be most helpful
kind regards mark

hi every body,hi HI DOCTOR NICK.ok i use to have a gp2x and loved playing all those golden oldies but i sold it a while back on ebay,which i kind of regret.i dont want to spend the earth so the dingoo sounds a good idea for some gaming goodness.all a want to know is what its realy like by people who have one and what the future holds for it or does it have one with the wiz kicking round.and what are the chances of more emulators coming ?.our wounld i be better waiting to find another gp2x f100 ?.and finaly wheres a good/cheap place to get one off the web i.e ebay/ some where in the uk.any help on making my mind up on this matter wounld be most helpful
kind regards mark
Get a Dingoo A320, because it's the absolute best!!! B)

That is all. By the way, DX is currently offline.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Dr Nick!

I bought a GP2X for old school games as well. My iphone was cool because it could play the emulators, but gameplay & control sucked due to touchscreen controls. I liked the GP2X but it was bulky, battery life felt more like a half life, and the controls themselves were ok with the d pad.

Preordered a Pandora & am waiting for the 9th month for it to come to term. In March I discovered the Dingoo & started researching it. I ordered a white one, then the black two weeks later (my white one didn't make it in time for a flight).

As soon as I received mine from Deal Extreme, I knew I had replaced my GP2X. No more bulk, battery life of 6-7 hours, nicer controls (except shoulder buttons, took some time to get used to, but aren't horrible).

Shenzen/Dingoo have not been too hasty to update emulators. They have updated firmware & unbricking tool due to an LCD component change, so they provide minimal support & haven't abandoned the product (yet).

Check around other sites for better more detailed reviews.

Peace

Link

I'm also an old GP2x owner who is very tempted by this. I lost my first (dpad modded) GP2x and the second one I bought mysteriously stopped working (it just gives a white screen) so I only have my old faithful GP32 left but this is only really good for 8-bit emulation.

I don't want a Wiz as the button layout looks poor yet again, and the Pandora does not appeal to me at all, so this does look like an ideal GP2x replacement.

Can anyone say if the battery life really the 7 hours advertised? How easy will it be to replace the battery or get a higher capacity one?

Can anyone say if the battery life really the 7 hours advertised? How easy will it be to replace the battery or get a higher capacity one?
I haven't charged mine at all in the last 3 days. I get about 1-2 hours' play out of it each day. Battery life on these is good, just remember to power it off or set the auto-poweroff function.

There are a couple mod videos to be found on youtube (mostly to do with making the reset button more accessible or fixing the X/B button problem) that show how to get at the battery. HINT: It's not meant to be user-replaced.

Turns out most of the interior space of the device is taken up by battery. I wouldn't recommend trying to replace it with something higher capacity unless it has the same dimensions as the existing battery. And, IIRC, you'll have to bust out the soldering iron to replace in any event.

It's small, powerful and you can play many games on it. And the best, it's around 60dollars. Why are you waiting?^^

Look like a nice piece of hardware, but if you compare software titles available on the GP2X and even the Wiz it seems like it isn't mature enough yet.
I will wait a bit longer.. and when the Pandora suddenly appears I probably will not need it at all.

so I only have my old faithful GP32 left but this is only really good for 8-bit emulation.
I don't want a Wiz as the button layout looks poor yet again, and the Pandora does not appeal to me at all, so this does look like an ideal GP2x replacement.

I don't have problems with the button layout on the Wiz. It may not be perfect but it doesn't seem bad , at least to me. Plus you get the benefit of a better contrast OLED screen with a better viewing angle, replaceable battery, double the RAM, and the ability to use 32 GB regular SD cards.

I kinda want a Dingoo just to see if the buttons annoy me less than Wiz, since my intuition says they will. But I'd have to try to get the one with the better dpad.

I have both - whilst wiz's d-pad/buttons are fine and don't trouble me most of the time, the dingoo's d-pad (which is very much like the DS) and the buttons are undoubtedly superior in my view.

Cheers
Simon

now for the emulation experience....

I find NES/GBA emulation awesome and nearly complete
Game Gear/SMS just have no sound and some numeric values are out of place

Genesis is okay except for this annoying scanline effect because the resolution is actually higher then the display LCD
and both the SNES and Genesis/Mega Drive run just a tad slower and have some audio skipping.

It's really too early to tell how good these systems are- I don't think I wasted my $90 on thinkgeek (a reliable reseller)
only thing I have to warn you on is make sure you have a 32bit version of windows or you will need an mini SD card.

happy emulating.

GP2x and the second one I bought mysteriously stopped working (it just gives a white screen"] so I only have my old faithful GP32 left but this is only really good for 8-bit emulation.

I don't have problems with the button layout on the Wiz. It may not be perfect but it doesn't seem bad , at least to me. Plus you get the benefit of a better contrast OLED screen with a better viewing angle, replaceable battery, double the RAM, and the ability to use 32 GB regular SD cards.[/quote]Hmmm, thanks DaveC. I do have a high regard for your opinions with respect to gaming hardware so maybe I was a little rash in dismissing the Wiz. I shall investigate it some more...

I got my Dingoo today, and while I don't put much stock in the built in emulators, the build quality is fantastic, and the scene is progressing nicely. Once dual-boot linux/dingoo firmware is released (which is VERY soon), we'll see a lot more improvement in the emulator department.

Back